Author Topic: 2010 Regional Sites  (Read 23723 times)

Offline John McGraw

• All-Region
    • View Profile
2010 Regional Sites
« on: December 17, 2009, 04:40:30 pm »
I know this information probably won't come out until January, but has anyone heard any information on where the eight regionals will be held this season?

Offline LA Mike

• Second-stringer
  • "It's not over until it is over." Yogi Berra
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Regional Sites
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 07:29:38 pm »
OOHHHHH...................I do not feel like I did enough off season conditioning---  Looking forward to 2010 and the Western Region and SCIAC....... again !!!!.   

The sites for the regional games were announced at the beginning of the season last year, but the year before, they announced them in May.  I think that they learned their lesson from the 2008 season. 

Next on my schedule is streching and long toss-- we will see you when the winter chill of 55 degrees has left the valley here in Los Angeles and gets back up to the 80 degrees during Jan. 1st and the Rose parade.  Then we know winter is over and we can start getting ready to get ready, because "you have not started until you have started" !!!     Get your chairs and scorebooks out and knock off the dust and best of luck to all the fans of D3 baseball.                         

LA Mike
LA Mike

Offline TurtleHead

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 08:41:29 pm »
I believe Whitewater was granted the midwest region.
There's only two things I can't stand in this world. Those who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

If you've got an issue, here's your tissue.

Offline old scot

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 07:37:16 pm »
I have grown tired of the snow and cold in the northeast and dreaming of "rounding third and heading for home."

D3 Baseball has posted regional playoff sites for the 2010 season. I am wondering what the criteria for hosting the tourney requires? More than one field? Lights for night games? Central location within the region? Do schools bid on hosting the tourney?

Can't wait for for sunshine and springtime. "Put me in Coach, I'm ready to play today."

Offline John McGraw

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 09:41:08 pm »
I have grown tired of the snow and cold in the northeast and dreaming of "rounding third and heading for home."

D3 Baseball has posted regional playoff sites for the 2010 season. I am wondering what the criteria for hosting the tourney requires? More than one field? Lights for night games? Central location within the region? Do schools bid on hosting the tourney?

Can't wait for for sunshine and springtime. "Put me in Coach, I'm ready to play today."

To answer your questions, the NCAA does require lights for night games (I don't think it used to) and schools do put in bids to host regionals. A central location within the region is not required since all teams are free to put in their own bids for the tournament. Minor league facilities are usually preferred but nicer collegiate facilities are just as good. Teams that might not necessarily be able to host at their home field can apply to host at a nearby minor league stadium i.e. Cortland State and Kean. In Cortland's case, Ithaca has hosted the regional in Auburn in the past but since Auburn is pretty much the same distance from Ithaca and Cortland, the Red Dragons were able to put in a bid to host. As for Kean, the Cougars hosted the Mid-Atlantic regional in Lakewood just about on the Jersey Shore. And then this year, Kean will host at the minor league facility in Trenton.

Not everyone I think wants to host a regional. It's a lot of work for all of the people involved and it's a time of year when you don't have student workers at your disposal since the regional takes place in the middle of May.

Offline ECSUalum

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 10:33:23 pm »
From NCAA D-III Manual 2008-09 ed

I presume last years edition did not change

Although lights are not specifically mentioned, for the Regional, lights are imperative, as games need to be played after dark to complete the tournament on time, weather usually plays a factor in delays.

I think the historical degree of success of previous NCAA D3 Regional played at an institution also plays a factor, ie if not managed well in the past, less consideration for future site

31.1.3 Sites and Dates. The governing sports committees recommend to the Championships Committee
the sites and dates for all NCAA championships.

31.1.3.1 Championships Committee Approval. Championships Committee approval shall be obtained
before final site commitments are made to the host institution or any other individual or organization associated
with the management of an NCAA championship. However, in the sports of baseball, basketball, field hockey,
football, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer, softball and volleyball, the governing sports committees are authorized to
select sites for preliminary rounds of competition without prior Championships Committee approval.

31.1.3.2 Site Selection. The governing sports committees shall evaluate prospective sites for NCAA championships
in terms of the specific criteria approved by the Championships Committee. The division championships
committees may assign specific priorities to these criteria for their respective championships. These shall
be specified in the appropriate championships handbooks. A governing sports committee that desires to use
additional criteria shall obtain Championships Committee approval before doing so.

31.1.3.2.1 Criteria for Site Determination. The following criteria are to be used in the evaluation of
sites for all competition in NCAA championships:
(a) Quality and availability of the facility and other necessary accommodations;
(b) Geographical location (including such factors as rotation of sites, weather, accessibility and transportation
costs);
(c) Seeding; and
(d) Attendance history and revenue potential, which shall be considered necessary to assure fiscal responsibility.

31.1.3.2.2 Nonpredetermined Site. When a championship site is not predetermined, the governing
sports committee may award the site to the higher-ranked team if the above criteria, and any priorities established
by the respective division championships committee, are met.

31.1.3.2.3 On-Campus Versus Off-Campus Sites. No preference shall be given to on-campus versus
off-campus sites. An institution that has been chosen to host a championship may conduct the competition
on campus, or if appropriate on-campus facilities are not available, the host institution(s) may conduct competition
in an off-campus venue in the immediate locale of the institution(s). In those instances in which
it is advisable to conduct the competition at off-campus sites, the host institution(s) shall have complete
control, supervision and management of the facility being used. (Revised: 12/3/90, 1/8/05)

31.1.3.2.4 Reconsideration of Host Institution. The Championships Committee may reconsider
the designation of a host institution for an NCAA championship if that institution’s team or individual
student-athletes are not eligible to compete in the championship.

31.1.3.2.5 Nonrevenue Championship Site Assignment. For team championships that do not
generate revenues, pairings shall be based primarily on the teams’ geographical proximity to one another,
regardless of their region, in order to avoid air travel in preliminary rounds whenever possible. Teams’ seeding
relative to one another may be taken into consideration when establishing pairings if such a pairing does
not result in air travel that otherwise could be avoided. (Revised: 8/4/94)

31.1.3.3 Concluding Dates. NCAA championships competition shall be concluded no later than June 2 each year  unless later dates are approved by the Championships Committee. (Note: The baseball championship
has been granted waivers by the Championships Committee.)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 10:18:33 pm by ECSUalum »

OshDude

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 04:21:07 am »
Predicting the regional seeds should be fun this year. Three eight-teamers, a seven and four six-teamers ... good luck slotting that maze. Fairly certain we already know the number of teams that will be at three of the regionals, so that's a start.

Fantastic that we gain one Pool A and one Pool C while losing a Pool B, but 55 total teams necessitates scheduling quirks like everyone's favorite – a seven-team regional. I look forward to the debate over the top seed for the seven-team regional.

Offline CrashDavisD3

• All-American
  • If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score
    • View Profile
    • Crash Davis in Action
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 01:20:11 pm »
Maybe someday in the future we can get to a 8 Regionals 8 team = 64

But with budget cuts everyway this is just a dream.

OR Maybe some how they have a 1 or 3 game series as play in way for the non AQ Pool B/C teams. This way you play into these regionals as oppose to the magical formulas the committees use to determine Pool B/C bids with some 30+ win teams staying home too many times.

With 36 Pool A, 5 Pool B, 14 Pool C bids

You get have a 10 team Pool B playoff and 28 team Pool C playoff to get
to the 5 Pool B and 14 Pool C. This would take 1 weekend to do.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 01:27:09 pm by CrashDavisD3 »
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

Offline CrashDavisD3

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Crash Davis in Action
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 02:00:43 pm »
2010 Regional Site Field Pictures

Central Regional - Hosted by Augustana College at Brunner Field
http://tinyurl.com/yzy4ysy

Mid-Atlantic Regional - Hosted by Kean University at Waterfront Park  
http://www.littleballparks.com/Stadium/2002/Trenton/Trenton.htm

Mideast Regional - Hosted by Marietta College at Don Schaly Stadium
http://www.marietta.edu/175/175_essentials/images/schaly_stadium_1024.jpg

Midwest Regional - Hosted by Wisconsin-Whitewater at Prucha Field
http://www.uwwsports.com/news/2009/8/18/bball_081809_Prucha_Renovation.aspx

New England Regional - Hosted by Eastern Connecticut State University at Eastern Baseball Stadium
http://www.littleeast.com/images/bsb/action/Web_site/eastern-base-stadium.jpg

New York Regional - Hosted by SUNY Cortland at Falcon Park (Auburn Doubledays)
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/ballpark/page.jsp?ymd=20070215&content_id=177816&vkey=ballpark_t458&fext=.jsp&sid=t458

South Regional - Hosted by Methodist College at Armstrong Shelley Field
http://www.methodist.edu/monarchs/baseball/facilities.htm

West Regional - Hosted by Linfield College at Jim Wright Stadium
http://www.linfield.edu/sports/sports-venues/helser-field.html
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 08:15:09 am by CrashDavisD3 »
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."

Offline CrashDavisD3

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Crash Davis in Action
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 04:18:52 pm »
Any top 10 predictions by Region of who might make it this year.

Time to pull out Crystal balls,  Ouija boards, Tarot cards...oh and maybe who has the players to make it.

Like all predictions ...it of course will be decided on the field.

Newcomers, injuries always factor in how it really goes.

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 01:21:39 pm »
My predistions:

Central- Carthage/IWU
Mid-Atlantic- Kean
MidEast- Wooster/Adrian
South- Millsaps/Shenandoah
Midwest- UW Stevens Point/St. Thomas
New England- Eastern Connecticut
New York- Cortland State
West- Cal Lutheran/ Tyler (TX)

I may be a bit off, but this group might be a solid choice nearly EVERY year.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Offline ECSUalum

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 08:05:38 pm »
POPPA,

I just posted on NJAC thread that Kean U seems to have graduated 6 pitchers last year who pitched close to 250 innings for KU!!  Only other Senior was thier catcher

I hope they have brought in some big time frosh/transfer pitchers, otherwise might be tough for Kean U to repeat

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 03:07:49 pm »
Is it too early to project the field for the NCAA bids?

I'd love to see who everyone is projecting to win the Pool A bids and then take a shot at the Pool B/C bids.

In the Central, here is how I see it shaking out:

Pool A
CCIW- Carthage
IIAC- Buena Vista or Wartburg
MWC- Beloit
SLIAC- Webster

Pool B
None

Pool C
Wheaton

Anyone else want to help out with the other regions?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Offline wustlfan37

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 09:33:36 pm »
Is it too early to project the field for the NCAA bids?

I'd love to see who everyone is projecting to win the Pool A bids and then take a shot at the Pool B/C bids.

In the Central, here is how I see it shaking out:

Pool A
CCIW- Carthage
IIAC- Buena Vista or Wartburg
MWC- Beloit
SLIAC- Webster

Pool B
None

Pool C
Wheaton

Anyone else want to help out with the other regions?

I'm a little surprised about your pick of Wheaton for the Pool C bid.  I would think that a perennially strong team like IWU would be more likely to get a Pool C bid if they have a good season and lose to Carthage in the CCIW tournament. 

Also, Washington University has to be considered as a strong contender for a Pool B bid.  They've played in the last 4 out of 5 regionals, and have a large contingent of juniors and seniors who played a large role in WU's success last year.  They will return 6 of the 9 starters and every pitcher but one.

Luckily for me, being biased and being right are not mutually exclusive...
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
  • Managing Editor, D3baseball.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 11:06:28 pm »
For the South:

Pool A:
ODAC: Lynchburg
USAS: Shenandoah
SCAC: Millsaps
CAC: Salisbury

Pool B:
none (I allow Washington (Mo) to win out over Emory so BigPoppa can get a 6-team regional.

Pool C: Methodist, York