Author Topic: 2010 World Series in Appleton...  (Read 95440 times)

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 World Series in Appleton...
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2010, 06:28:45 pm »
       This will be my last post to negative people; if you do not like the writing, or what ever else this is (obviously not English class), so be it.  I think the people who are making these negative remarks are on the boards for the wrong reasons.  I doubt that any of you are English professors.  Keep it positive or go find somewhere else to get a thrill.            
well, I am a teacher so I'll do what I can to help you out. :)  ^^^fixed!
I, too.

godfather, we are glad to have new posters on the boards, but we D-III fans take pride in our ability to communicate.  We alums are proud of the educations that we received in our D-III alma maters (or almae matres for the purists ;)  ).  We enjoy good discussions and even occasional Socratic analyses of our favorite sports.

Therefore, it is not unusual for new posters to get gentle reminders that we enjoy a well constructed sentence with proper punctuation that makes it easy to read.

We hope that you will enjoy the series and we look forward to your contributions, especially if you are at the game or are hearing/seeing a webcast of the game, real-time.   :)

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2010, 06:30:02 pm »
Hello all

Winning the RING oh what I know after ten years folloeing D3 Baseball. Its a Very Very special and a Very Very  BHard thing not only to predict but to win. Being a Chapman Booster I can say its not about the best team its about the team that has a little Baseball God looking out for them.  Its about 8 great teams playing a winner take all (the Ring) . After seeing Chapman make the Championship for 7 out of the last ten years The Ring has gone up in Value. I respect all Champions as do I respect The 2003 Team from Chapman the best team dosnt always win. However thats not what the ring is about its about taking advantage of the oppertunity that the NCAA has given our kids . Today I called my son and asked him what does that ring mean now. He said its the most valued possision other then his family. Its not given its earned by some great students great coaching great parenting and a whole lot of Baseball Luck.  Playing the game the right way and some breaks. I remember 03 Timm got sick the weather was as if we were in So Cal a baseball god break. I remenber 05 rain delays hurt our ability to compete Baseball gods luck to the cold weather teams.. Be proud and thank God you get the oppertunity to win the RING. Good luck to all of the teams that earned the right to win THE RING.

HALLEBASEBALL, welcome back to the boards. We have missed you.

Join us in rooting the West onto another Championship!

Offline StarvinMarvin

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2010, 08:47:53 pm »
Halle...are you serious with those excuses for Chapman not winning it in '03 or '05.  Especially the one about how a rain delay didn't allow Chapman to compete.  I can't speak for anything that happened in '03 but I do know that in'05 that rain delay you speak of, occurred about halfway through the elimination game against Cortland.  Well it just so happens that both teams sat through that delay and still had plenty of game left when it resumed.  Chapman was beaten at their best that day and that particular team showed their true colors after the loss.  Aside from being poor sports on the field, a good portion of them were disrespectful not only to Cortland players at the hotel but also to family members and a few rooms were even trashed and those claims are legit.  I won't mention the first baseman's name on that Chapman team but he was the ring leader and a horrible representation of an otherwise exceptional program.  Too bad cuz the kid was a pretty good player.  I hate to put anyone on blast in these forums but let's call a spade a spade and remember the events as they truly happened...good luck to all the teams!

Offline mideastfan2

• Starter
  • 6 National Titles - 1981, 83, 86, 2006, 2011-12
    • View Profile
    • Marietta College Baseball
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2010, 09:22:03 pm »
I don't think he was downplaying the effort given by Cortland that day, as much as he was trying to infer how much luck can play in winning a title.

Heck, he said himself how lucky Chapman was in 2003 when one of the best pitchers in the country, Timm from UW-Oshkosh, fell ill with a viral infection and wasn't able to face (and possibly beat) Chapman in the first game.  Chapman went on to win the Title...could've been a different story if Timm was pitching; you just never know.

I've always been a solid believer in the team who walks away with the title is the BEST, regardless of weather, injuries, or whatever anyone else wants to use an excuse.

All these teams go through some kind of adversity, and the BEST team always fights through to win at the end.

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2010, 09:22:23 pm »
       my last quote to negative people if you do not like the writing or what ever else this is not english class i think the people  making these quotes are on for the wrong reasons i doubt your professors of proper usages of the english language keep it positive or go find somewhere else to get a thrill   

No, it's not an English class, but to be honest, it is very difficult to read something that doesn't contain periods or capital letters or paragraphs to break it up.

If you're OK with being misunderstood or ignored, then by all means, keep writing it.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline StarvinMarvin

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2010, 09:42:48 pm »
mideastfan...I didn't interpret Halles post regarding the rain delay as a knock on Cortland but to me it sounded like as I said, an excuse simply because it was followed by a comment that indicated that poor weather conditions somehow favor northern teams style of play.  To me that's an excuse and not a matter of luck or "baseball Gods".  The comment regarding the comment about not facing Timm from Oshkosh is, in my opinion, a completely different scenario and to me a matter of the planets lining up for that one team who just gets hot, plays together and catches breaks along the way.  See what happened was, Chapman got up big very early on Cortland and Cortland ended up bringing in a pitcher who finally was able to contain Chapman's offense by basically not allowing any runs after the fourth inning or so.  Cortland slowly chipped away and ended up taking a 10-9 lead in like the sixth and essentially took the momentum heading into an hour and a half long rain delay.  Chapman's players were beside themselves and weren't shy about showing their frustration as they sat and sat and sat while pondering the lead they lost.  So anyway, it was one of the best games I've ever seen played by two competitive hard-nosed teams but was unfortunately marred by some poor attitudes as I previously mentioned.     

Offline KitchenSink

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2010, 09:50:57 pm »
I'll be there on Saturday to see some WS baseball, even though U-Dub-Dub fell short of making the trip.  I'm planning on wearing my red Wisconsin hat if you want to say hi.  Hope everyone enjoys a pleasant stay in the Dairy State.
What the hell was that?  That was a Drop-kick.  Drop-kick? How much is that worth?  Three points.  THREE POINTS?!

Offline mideastfan2

• Starter
  • 6 National Titles - 1981, 83, 86, 2006, 2011-12
    • View Profile
    • Marietta College Baseball
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2010, 09:51:42 pm »
mideastfan...I didn't interpret Halles post regarding the rain delay as a knock on Cortland but to me it sounded like as I said, an excuse simply because it was followed by a comment that indicated that poor weather conditions somehow favor northern teams style of play.  To me that's an excuse and not a matter of luck or "baseball Gods".  The comment regarding the comment about not facing Timm from Oshkosh is, in my opinion, a completely different scenario and to me a matter of the planets lining up for that one team who just gets hot, plays together and catches breaks along the way.  See what happened was, Chapman got up big very early on Cortland and Cortland ended up bringing in a pitcher who finally was able to contain Chapman's offense by basically not allowing any runs after the fourth inning or so.  Cortland slowly chipped away and ended up taking a 10-9 lead in like the sixth and essentially took the momentum heading into an hour and a half long rain delay.  Chapman's players were beside themselves and weren't shy about showing their frustration as they sat and sat and sat while pondering the lead they lost.  So anyway, it was one of the best games I've ever seen played by two competitive hard-nosed teams but was unfortunately marred by some poor attitudes as I previously mentioned.    

gotcha....I wasn't there, but I can picture the situation.  Sounds like the better team won.  As I said earlier, the BEST team usually comes out on top when both are facing adversity.   It's a shame some of the athletes may have acted in a childish way, but I guess that's what you get sometimes when you're watching your season end, and you want to blame something/someone other than yourselves.  They are college kids, and we all know college kids can get emotional in tough situations :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 09:54:16 pm by mideastfan2 »

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2010, 09:59:33 pm »
       my last quote to negative people if you do not like the writing or what ever else this is not english class i think the people  making these quotes are on for the wrong reasons i doubt your professors of proper usages of the english language keep it positive or go find somewhere else to get a thrill   

Teacher here as well:)
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Offline StarvinMarvin

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2010, 10:07:47 pm »
Couldn't agree more about college athletes and the difficulty of seeing your season and possibly a career come to an end.  I won't keep harping on this but the worst part about it was that the head coach and his staff did nothing to reprimand or control their players and even further contributed to the situation, in my opinion, by making comments directed at Cortland players and coaches.  The third base coach made it so blatantly obvious that he was trying to steal the catcher's signs that it became comical...he was literally bent over with his hands on his knees with his toes virtually touching the third base chalk line. I was just very surprised that a team of their caliber would stoop to level of panic and lack of sportsmanship.  However, it's in the past and one incident isn't the end all be all but nonetheless something no team should be remembered for.

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2010, 10:33:52 pm »

Teacher here as well:)

Professional editor. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline godfather

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2010, 11:03:09 pm »
 :DThank you mideastfan2 for your help, but I did not know we are in class. I always tried my best when I was going to school,which was about 30 years ago. So, I guess I can blame my absence from school. Anyway, WOW! Sounds like I open a can of worms. I am not an alumni of Cortland State,but where all this talk of Chapman, Cortland, rain delays,and trashing the hotel. Please, let me in on the whole story! I just recently started following d3 baseball. My son played division 3 baseball for four years,graduated in 2007  and that is when I became interested. I truly believe division 3 baseball is better than any other division,because most of these players know this is the end of their careers after their senior year.They play because they truly love the game for what it is not how much money they could make if their drafted high. I know because after my son last game he knew it was the end of playing  baseball as he knew it starting as a child. He cried like a baby, but he snapped out of it and now is  going on with his life teaching physical education and coaching high school baseball. If anyone ever tells you baseball is just a sport, they never had a child grow up with the game. Baseball just like football,hockey,tennis,golf or any other sport, it is the game of life because so many things are learned and it is not just the sport.So, forgive about grammar and lets get on with the series      Yours in baseball  Godfather

Offline old scot

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2010, 11:07:23 pm »
Godfather, whew.
If you have a degree from Cortland you have sent higher education back 50 years!!!

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2010, 11:10:19 pm »
:DThank you mideastfan2 for your help, but I did not know we are in class. I always tried my best when I was going to school,which was about 30 years ago. So, I guess I can blame my absence from school. Anyway, WOW! Sounds like I open a can of worms. I am not an alumni of Cortland State,but where all this talk of Chapman, Cortland, rain delays,and trashing the hotel. Please, let me in on the whole story! I just recently started following d3 baseball. My son played division 3 baseball for four years,graduated in 2007  and that is when I became interested. I truly believe division 3 baseball is better than any other division,because most of these players know this is the end of their careers after their senior year.They play because they truly love the game for what it is not how much money they could make if their drafted high. I know because after my son last game he knew it was the end of playing  baseball as he knew it starting as a child. He cried like a baby, but he snapped out of it and now is  going on with his life teaching physical education and coaching high school baseball. If anyone ever tells you baseball is just a sport, they never had a child grow up with the game. Baseball just like football,hockey,tennis,golf or any other sport, it is the game of life because so many things are learned and it is not just the sport.So, forgive about grammar and lets get on with the series      Yours in baseball  Godfather

Well written, Godfather!

We all have our "Field of Dreams" moments.

Here is the link to one of the all-time favorite essays that has been written on the subject.

Please enjoy RSSmith's Reflections, written at the conclusion of his son's career last spring.

Offline godfather

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2010, 11:22:18 pm »
Thank you, Ralph Turner I could tell you understand.Reflections is just great! Some people are just better expressing themselves with words then others. I will be looking forward talking to you and others about the 2010 World Series in Appleton.