D3baseball.com > National topics

BB: Requiem in pace (R.I.P.)

(1/33) > >>

Ralph Turner:
In a 154 or 162 game regular season, you build friendships with the heroes of your youth.

Here is the news release of the death of former Dodger CF Willie Davis.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Long-time-Los-Angeles-Dodgers-CF-Willie-Davis-found-dead-030910

Ralph Turner:

--- Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 10, 2010, 02:45:35 pm ---In a 154 or 162 game regular season, you build friendships with the heroes of your youth.

Here is the news release of the death of former Dodger CF Willie Davis.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Long-time-Los-Angeles-Dodgers-CF-Willie-Davis-found-dead-030910

--- End quote ---
Willie Davis, I remember his defense.  The Dodgers were my grandmother's team, going back the days of the Ft Worth Cats, which was the Texas League (Double A) franchise in the Dodger farm system.  We watched the Dodgers whenever they were on TV.

Ralph Turner:
Mike Cuellar

AL Cy Young co-winner in 1969, 4-time All-Star.

Ralph Turner:
Ernie Harwell    :'(

Let me quote Matthew May from this essay.

--- Quote ---...Ernie’s final words on the air as the regular Tiger broadcaster were “I thank you very much and God bless you all.” Well, we who grew up and grew old listening to Ernie Harwell thank God that He blessed us with Ernie Harwell.
--- End quote ---

Mr. Ypsi:

--- Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 05, 2010, 06:59:50 pm ---Ernie Harwell    :'(

Let me quote Matthew May from this essay.

--- Quote ---...Ernie’s final words on the air as the regular Tiger broadcaster were “I thank you very much and God bless you all.” Well, we who grew up and grew old listening to Ernie Harwell thank God that He blessed us with Ernie Harwell.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Ernie (no one in Michigan needed to say the last name) was arguably the most beloved man in the history of Michigan.  (And only Rosa Parks, who spent her last 30+ years here, would rival him for most beloved person.)

Though 8 years retired, he still made occasional public appearances and wrote an occasional column in the Detroit papers - he is sorely missed. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version