Author Topic: MBB: Northwest Conference  (Read 863683 times)

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • North Park Vikings: Nat'l champs, 1978-79-80-85-87
    • View Profile
Re: MBB: Northwest Conference
« Reply #7215 on: April 13, 2019, 09:31:30 am »
I don't know how Pat or Dave view Aurora, but I don't see it as a low-profile hire. The Spartans reach the D3 tourney fairly regularly -- and, as Wash U fans will sadly attest, the Spartans aren't always one-and-done patsies in the dance, either.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful..” -- John Wooden

Offline Greek Tragedy

• All-American
  • I'm my dad's mini-me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7216 on: April 13, 2019, 11:41:24 am »
Yes, Aurora has made the tournament the last two years and had a big upset win vs Wash U last year. Still hardly a high profile team. The NACC is also not high profile. Prior to their back to back tournament appearances, they had a barren spell of once in the previous 7 years.  And, no disrespect, but Airy is an assistant. It's not like Bridgeland is headed to the Chicago area. It's been a good 10 years since Aurora has been a regular participant in the tournament and even at that time, they were a one-and -done team. I don't know the complete tournament history of Aurora, I believe the NACC has been known for being a one bid, one and done NCAA tournament league. In fact, until Benedictine's recent success, the NACC may only have one or two tournament wins. Again, it's an assistant coach going to a low profile team in a low profile conference, in my opinion.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #7217 on: April 13, 2019, 11:46:15 am »
Surprised  no one mentioned it. Matt Airy has left Whitman to take over the reigns at Aurora.

I don't think anyone outside Whitman or "in the know" would know that. I didn't see anything on the basketball home page or on their Twitter and certainly not on this site. He's also "just" an assistant. May not be newsworthy? And what did you say in the SLIAC board? You can't write a release on every job change, "especially low-profile ones."

This was on the site as of April 9:
https://www.d3hoops.com/seasons/men/2018-19/contrib/201904095sndlh
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • North Park Vikings: Nat'l champs, 1978-79-80-85-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #7218 on: April 13, 2019, 12:36:18 pm »
Yes, Aurora has made the tournament the last two years and had a big upset win vs Wash U last year. Still hardly a high profile team. The NACC is also not high profile. Prior to their back to back tournament appearances, they had a barren spell of once in the previous 7 years.  And, no disrespect, but Airy is an assistant. It's not like Bridgeland is headed to the Chicago area. It's been a good 10 years since Aurora has been a regular participant in the tournament and even at that time, they were a one-and -done team. I don't know the complete tournament history of Aurora, I believe the NACC has been known for being a one bid, one and done NCAA tournament league. In fact, until Benedictine's recent success, the NACC may only have one or two tournament wins. Again, it's an assistant coach going to a low profile team in a low profile conference, in my opinion.

I didn't say that Aurora was a high-profile team. I just said that it wasn't a low-profile team like Blackburn. I'd say mid-profile. ;)

The NACC hasn't been around all that long, but if you also consider the two predecessor leagues that merged to form it (the NIIC and the LMC), NACC teams have had a lot more tourney success than just one or two victories aside from Benedictine's title-game run in '16. Benedictine made the Elite Eight back in '91. That was a very good team that I remember well, although it got stomped in the Elite Eight by the first of Bo Ryan's national championship teams at UW-Platteville.

Here's the tourney records of NACC members (aside from St. Norbert, of course):

school  apps  W-L (.pct)
Aurora  11  2-11 (.154)
Benedictine    8  6-8   (.429)
Concordia WI    3  0-3   (.000)
Edgewood    3  1-3   (.250)
Lakeland    1  0-1   (.000)
Marian    2  0-2   (.000)
MSOE    1  0-1   (.000)
Rockford    1  0-1   (.000)
Wisconsin Lutheran    1  0-1   (.000)
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful..” -- John Wooden

Offline (509)Rat

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #7219 on: April 13, 2019, 04:23:01 pm »
I couldn’t even have told you who Matt Airy was.

Yawn.

Offline Greek Tragedy

• All-American
  • I'm my dad's mini-me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7220 on: April 15, 2019, 09:31:28 am »
Surprised  no one mentioned it. Matt Airy has left Whitman to take over the reigns at Aurora.

I don't think anyone outside Whitman or "in the know" would know that. I didn't see anything on the basketball home page or on their Twitter and certainly not on this site. He's also "just" an assistant. May not be newsworthy? And what did you say in the SLIAC board? You can't write a release on every job change, "especially low-profile ones."

Sorry Pat. I didn't see this on the front page. Was it on the front page or possibly in the Coaching Carousel link?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #7221 on: April 15, 2019, 12:50:14 pm »

Sorry Pat. I didn't see this on the front page. Was it on the front page or possibly in the Coaching Carousel link?

It's in the Coaching Carousel and since Aurora posted it as a news release, it's in the News Releases section on the home page.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

• All-American
  • Broadcaster, Announcer, Analyst, and Fan!
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
« Reply #7222 on: April 17, 2019, 11:43:19 am »
If people asked Bridgeland how important Airy has been to the program ... you may get an eye-opening response. Airy has been integral with Whitman and how good they have been. I know Bridgeland thinks highly of Airy.

And from what I've seen, what I've been told, and the changing landscape of the midwest ... Aurora could be a program to watch. I am not expecting anything major the next year or two (who knows), but I would doubt they aren't in the conversation in at least that region soon enough.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.