Author Topic: WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin  (Read 398026 times)

Offline RogK

• All-Region
    • View Profile
Re: WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
« Reply #3960 on: April 01, 2013, 06:49:54 pm »
Congratulations to Brittany Carper, an assistant coach at Carthage the last two seasons; she is now head coach at Aurora University :
http://athletics.aurora.edu/news/2013/4/1/WBB_0401131158.aspx
This article notes what a superb NAIA D2 player she was, not too long ago. One season she averaged 21.5, 5.8 rebs, 7.2 assists and 4 steals. Her team won national titles twice.

Offline Titan Q

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
    • http://www.iwuhoops.com/
« Reply #3961 on: April 04, 2013, 07:09:57 pm »
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:13:35 pm by Titan Q »

sumfun

« Reply #3962 on: April 04, 2013, 07:16:53 pm »
And her sister is a sophomore at Amherst.  Fun if they met for a national championship!!

Offline iwu70

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: April 05, 2013, 11:33:15 pm »
Holness looks pretty good, nice shot, pretty quick.  A good addition, a very worthy understudy for Baltes? 

Titans need some size, some rebounding to help out Seibring, Reaber and others in the post.  Need some pounders, some enforcers a la Karen Solari!  Sure would love to see Shelby Jackson return.  Just say'in. 

Good luck to all graduating Titans!  Graduation in less than a month now.  Amazing how early -- May 5th in front of the new State Farm Hall (new classroom building), north side of the IWU Quad.

IWU70

Offline Mr. Ypsi

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: April 06, 2013, 12:29:54 am »
Mark, May 5th sounds about typical now that they are a standard calendar (I kind of liked the 4-1-4 system they had when we were there).  I'm assuming a primary reason they dropped the January term was because summer jobs were mostly all taken by the time Titans finished the term - when did that happen, do you know?

Offline Hoosier Titan

• All-Conference
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: April 06, 2013, 10:35:39 am »
Mark, May 5th sounds about typical now that they are a standard calendar (I kind of liked the 4-1-4 system they had when we were there).  I'm assuming a primary reason they dropped the January term was because summer jobs were mostly all taken by the time Titans finished the term - when did that happen, do you know?

It had been changed for some time when I arrived in 2002, Ypsi.  I've been at an institution that has the short term in January.  Doing it in May has several advantages, and getting a jump on the summer job market is one of them.  Another one is that the better weather is advantageous, both for classes on campus (tennis, golf, environmental activities) and for travel courses.  May 5 is actually a slightly later date than usual, but that's just because of the way the days fell in the calendar.  We had a holiday break that was longer for a day or two for the same reason, and that pushed back the graduation date.
You'll never walk alone.

Offline Mr. Ypsi

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: April 07, 2013, 12:55:49 am »
HT, the January term also had an advantage for me. ;)  My senior honors thesis was a 'nationwide' survey of college students (done face-to-face); since most schools are September to December, then January to April, my January tour worked a lot better than May!

Since my blessed parents were willing to send me to Europe that January, when I chose the survey instead they rented me an RV.  When it totally froze up after 3 days, I came back and used motels the rest of the month.  Fortunately, back then, Motel 6 really DID charge $6 a night!  My 'nationwide' survey never went west of Texas, but did hit most of the south, midwest, and east.

Statistics and research methodology eventually became my specialty, and I was rather embarassed about how biased and shoddy my thesis was, but it WAS a learning experience.  And, after all, that IS the point of it! ;)

Offline RogK

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: May 21, 2013, 01:38:01 pm »
Wheaton assistant coach Sarah Harris has taken a D3 head coaching position :
http://athletics.covenant.edu/sports/wbkb/2012-13/releases/20130513c5oxn1
Congratulations, Sarah!

Offline iwu70

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: May 22, 2013, 02:20:33 am »
Perhaps this was posted earlier.  The IWU program named Katy Seibring as the MVP for the season.  A break-out year for Ms. Seibring, first-team All-CCIW as well.  Coach Smith has recruited well.  She awarded 10 players letters, with 8 of 10 returning.  Of course, will be tough to replace seniors Melissa Gardner and Michelle Bilek, two wonderful TITANS.  But, three starters and many important role players returning.  Starters back are:  Seibring, McMahon and Baltes.  Reabers and Scurlock key role players returning.  Titans need some toughness, some bangers to hit the glass.  I'm sure "run and jump" will continue . . . perimeter shooting still important.  The future is bright, but CC will be the favorite, I would think. 

Looking forward to the new season . . . in time. 

IWU70

Offline iwu70

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: May 24, 2013, 07:43:50 am »
Michelle Bilek named "Director of Basketeball Operations" for Div. I Columbia U in New York City.  Hired by Coach Glance, formerly of ISU, now the new head coach at Columbia.  Touring the Ivy League for basketball games is a pretty good gig.  Congrats to Michelle -- who has aspirations of being a coach herself.  Story on the iwu.edu sports page now.

IWU70

Offline newCCIWfan

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: May 27, 2013, 04:26:18 pm »
I don't usually post on here. But I came across this article / picture as I was searching for Millikin Basketball recruits. Should be a good get for the big Blue!

http://www.paxtonrecord.net/andrew-rosten/2013-04-22/pbl-girls-basketball-standout-amanda-yip-ypya-verbally-commits-millikin.htm

Here is a pretty cool picture of the Millikin coaches at her signing! I think its really cool they were able to be there!! pic.twitter.com/ZEKNW1E1Dp
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 05:00:57 pm by newCCIWfan »

Offline RogK

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: June 07, 2013, 11:14:50 am »
Carthage has a new assistant coach :
http://athletics.carthage.edu/news/2013/6/6/Womens_Basketball_0606133439.aspx
She excelled at the high school and D1 levels.

Offline RogK

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: June 10, 2013, 04:10:09 pm »
Wheaton has a new assistant coach :
http://athletics.wheaton.edu/news/2013/6/6/WBB_0606133023.aspx
She played four years for Wheaton a little over a decade ago. Welcome back!

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • North Park Vikings: Nat'l champs, 1978-79-80-85-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: June 27, 2013, 12:21:31 am »
I don't usually post on here. But I came across this article / picture as I was searching for Millikin Basketball recruits. Should be a good get for the big Blue!

http://www.paxtonrecord.net/andrew-rosten/2013-04-22/pbl-girls-basketball-standout-amanda-yip-ypya-verbally-commits-millikin.htm

Here is a pretty cool picture of the Millikin coaches at her signing! I think its really cool they were able to be there!! pic.twitter.com/ZEKNW1E1Dp

I'm always amused when a D3 school apes the NAIA practice of the signing ritual. It has no function within D3, of course -- no athletic scholarships, therefore no reason to sign a letter of intent with your parents and your new coach hovering over your shoulders -- but I understand why it's a necessary PR device in parts of the country where the NAIA has a strong presence and the need to create the illusion of a "signing" is thus apparent for D3 recruits. But the NAIA doesn't really have that great a foothold in central Illinois any more, which makes this "signing" mildly strange.
“If you have a chance to help others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.” — Roberto Clemente