Author Topic: WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin  (Read 1104498 times)

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • North Park Vikings: Nat'l champs, 1978-79-80-85-87
    • View Profile
Re: WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
« Reply #8010 on: January 12, 2020, 05:12:25 pm »
Milikin survived a late Augustana run to triumph, 75-71, in the Griz. Augie had shaved a 12-point Big Blue lead with three and a half minutes to go down to a bucket when Gabriela Loiz missed what would've been an overtime-producing shot with a second left. Bailey Coffman had 14 and 8 for MU, and was joined in double figures by Jordan Hildebrand and Aubrey Staton with 13 apiece, while Abby Ratsch had 10 and 9 and Jazmin Brown had a nice 5:1 floor game. Macy Beinborn paced Augie with 19, including 5-10 from long range, while Alexis Jones had her usual double-double (16 and 11 this time), and Loiz and Lauren Hall scored a dozen apiece. Mia Lambert posted a 3:0 a:to ratio.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful..” -- John Wooden

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: January 13, 2020, 07:15:31 pm »
Wheaton eked out a 54-52 win over Carthage in a nip-and-tuck battle at King Arena this afternoon. The last seventeen and a half minutes were played with the two teams within two possessions of each other. Hannah Frazier carried the Sonic Atmospheric Disturbance with 24 points, and Kristi Demski added four steals. Carthage, likewise, had one player who was the focal point for the offense, as Autumn Kalis scored 19. Amanda Larson (10 rebounds) was the only player for either team to grab more than five boards.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful..” -- John Wooden

Offline GoPerry

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: January 13, 2020, 08:39:42 pm »
Wheaton eked out a 54-52 win over Carthage in a nip-and-tuck battle at King Arena this afternoon. The last seventeen and a half minutes were played with the two teams within two possessions of each other. Hannah Frazier carried the Sonic Atmospheric Disturbance with 24 points, and Kristi Demski added four steals. Carthage, likewise, had one player who was the focal point for the offense, as Autumn Kalis scored 19. Amanda Larson (10 rebounds) was the only player for either team to grab more than five boards.

Notable that the Lady Reds were missing Sammie Woodward today.  Also, Madie Kaelber hasn't played since mid-Dec.

Offline RogK

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #8013 on: January 13, 2020, 09:06:30 pm »
I attended the Carthage-Wheaton game and heard that Sammie Woodward is sick and may or may not miss another game. Carthage's efforts were surely diminished by her absence, along with that of Kaelber and Ahr.
I thought Amanda Larson had a fine all-around game and Autumn Kalis was her customary rather excellent self, although she did make enough mistakes to count on one hand.
Hannah Swider was a good boost off the bench for Wheaton.
Both teams were methodical for much of the game on offense, perhaps because (it seemed) each defense knew what the opponent wanted to do on offense.
Congrats to new CCIW Player of the Week, Kendall Sosa, earning her 2nd such honor this season.

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #8014 on: January 13, 2020, 09:31:14 pm »

Notable that the Lady Reds were missing Sammie Woodward today.  Also, Madie Kaelber hasn't played since mid-Dec.

Kaelber is out for the season.

Offline iwu70

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #8015 on: January 13, 2020, 10:01:21 pm »
Warm congrats to Kendall Sosa for her weekly CCIW honor.  She's leading the league in scoring, FT % and putting together a very fine, 1st Team All-CCIW season.  Depending on how the conference race plays out, she's certainly an early candidate for MOP.   Just IMHO. 

IWU will need Shanks back.  Lowis, Heller, Eck and Bowen doing a good job off the bench, so far.  Hope they continue to improve and step up.

IWU'70

Offline Mr. Ypsi

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #8016 on: January 13, 2020, 10:32:47 pm »
New poll is now up.  The CCIW narrowly averted a total shut-out (anyone know if that has ever happened?   I can't recall it, but am only curious, not fixated enough to check every poll since they started!)  NPU is out; IWU tallied 2 points (more probably a single #24 vote than two #25 votes). 

While there is no way of knowing, my gut hunch would be that IWU, NPU, and Wheaton are all in the 26-35 range for many voters, so there may be hope for a better conference showing in later polls - though we will no doubt continue to cannibalize each other! :P

Offline Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

• All-American
  • Broadcaster, Announcer, Analyst, and Fan!
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
« Reply #8017 on: January 13, 2020, 11:34:56 pm »
New poll is now up.  The CCIW narrowly averted a total shut-out (anyone know if that has ever happened?   I can't recall it, but am only curious, not fixated enough to check every poll since they started!)  NPU is out; IWU tallied 2 points (more probably a single #24 vote than two #25 votes). 

While there is no way of knowing, my gut hunch would be that IWU, NPU, and Wheaton are all in the 26-35 range for many voters, so there may be hope for a better conference showing in later polls - though we will no doubt continue to cannibalize each other! :P

We have a historical record of our Top 25s ... it might have the answer to help you figure out that answer without having to check every poll.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Offline gordonmann

• D3sports.com Guru
  • All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #8018 on: January 14, 2020, 12:01:50 am »
Yeah, the archive doesn't show which team "also receive votes," so it would be really time-consuming to figure out if the CCIW had been totally shut out.

I have Illinois Wesleyan No. 24. I know they've been inconsistent but, at this point in the season, my personal preference is to reward teams who've shown me they can compete with and beat ranked teams over those who still haven't played them and have gaudier winning percentage. The Titans' win over Chicago and close losses to UW-Whitewater and DePauw (both in my Top 10) weigh more positively for me than, say, Gettysburg or Eastern Connecticut.

If I had a 26th and 27th spot on my ballot, those are probably the next two teams.

I have Texas-Dallas on my ballot for the same reason.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 12:05:55 am by gordonmann »

Offline iwu70

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #8019 on: January 14, 2020, 02:45:52 am »
gordonmann, your thinking on IWU is exactly mine, as well.  They have played top-10 teams closely, and have the good win over Chicago earlier.  Their only bad loss so far is to Augie, and perhaps they will even that one later in the CCIW season.  We'll see.  Even though they have four losses, my view is that they are a top 25 team and should be getting more support.  Of course, many tough games in CCIW play yet to go, so they could slip back, but I think they have a good chance of winning most of the remaining games.  Having Shanks back will be key, as I have said several times.  They are not very deep, have a very good starting five, but their 3-4 bench players have come through . . . when Munroe and Shanks were out.  Munroe now back.  Eck and Lowis have played well, beyond my expectations.  I'm big on Heller longer term, when she gets more experience.

Now the home stretch of the CCIW race, basically six weeks to go.  Lots of key games.

IWU'70

Offline GoPerry

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #8020 on: January 14, 2020, 02:18:17 pm »
I attended the Carthage-Wheaton game and heard that Sammie Woodward is sick and may or may not miss another game. Carthage's efforts were surely diminished by her absence, along with that of Kaelber and Ahr.
I thought Amanda Larson had a fine all-around game and Autumn Kalis was her customary rather excellent self, although she did make enough mistakes to count on one hand.
Hannah Swider was a good boost off the bench for Wheaton.
Both teams were methodical for much of the game on offense, perhaps because (it seemed) each defense knew what the opponent wanted to do on offense.

It was a win but against a road team missing two out of their top 3 scorers.  The two positives were 1. Hannah Frazier performance in the 4th and 2. the team defense was pretty good and the defensive awareness was there most of the game.  Jordan Myroth is Wheaton’s best defender and 3rd leading rebounder with nearly 7/game.  She has to be on the floor for these reasons and her leadership.  But I think regaining some confidence in her offense could really turn things for her team.  Besides Frazier, she’s the only other capable of some dribble penetration but is very reluctant to finish the layup and try to draw the foul.  She’s more inclined to make the skip to an outside shooter and is passing up too many chances to make her opponent work hard by challenging the basket.

Once again it might be the long Christmas layoff and then another 9 day gap to yesterday’s game.  It’s tough to stay sharp at that pace.  But Wheaton can’t continue playing at this level scoring less than 60 and expect to win consistently.  I have no doubt they have enough talent to turn this thing around especially when Kent Madsen arguably has the best player on the floor every time out.  Need to unlock it.

Offline RogK

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #8021 on: January 14, 2020, 05:39:42 pm »
GoPerry, if I were drafting a team off CCIW rosters, my second choice from Wheaton (after Frazier) would be Hannah Williams. I see her as capable of scoring near the basket (including getting fouled) and she hits threes nicely too. I don't know why she isn't scoring more this season. She's reached 17 pts three times in 12 games, plus games of 14, 13 12. But she's been at 10 or less in 6 games.
Having a look at Wheaton's stats here
http://stats.ncaa.org/team/778/stats/15002
we see that Hannah Frazier has only 20 turnovers in 448:00, which is superb (even if she had 0 assists), considering she's the #1 option in the Thunder offense.
Some of the WBB stats on cciw.org are still screwed up, so ncaa.org is the place to look.

Offline RogK

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #8022 on: January 14, 2020, 05:55:35 pm »
Madie Kaelber finishes with a very nice .509 career eFG%. She made .351 of her 3FGs and .490 of her 2FGs. Her .842 FT rate is kinda good, too.
At 5'7", she's maybe most proud of her 30 blocked shots. Or maybe fouling out twice. Coulda fouled out more if she had put her mind to it! (ha)
She tallied 1,075 pts in 83 games for a career 13/g avg.

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: January 14, 2020, 08:59:36 pm »
Kaelber is still eligible to return next year under D3's medical hardship rules. Do we know for certain that her career is over?

Offline gordonmann

• D3sports.com Guru
  • All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #8024 on: January 14, 2020, 11:26:45 pm »
Once again it might be the long Christmas layoff and then another 9 day gap to yesterday’s game.  It’s tough to stay sharp at that pace.

Say, I know of a holiday tournament in Las Vegas that could help fix that scheduling issue. The Wheaton men gave it a shot one year. :)