Author Topic: D3baseball.com: Around the Nation  (Read 20215 times)

Offline Baseball6754

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
Re: Around the Nation
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2012, 05:30:45 pm »
Congratulations to all the players that made their respective All Region Teams! That is a very special award and should not be overlooked. Also congratulations to the 9 players that made the ABCA Division 3 National Gold Glove Team!! Awarded to the best defensive players at their respective positions, they include:
1B Justin Anderson SR Stevenson
2B Tim Clark JR Western New England
3B T.J. Martin JR UT Tyler
SS Aaron Klineck SR Washington and Jefferson
OF Hal Landers SR Wheaton Mass
OF Josh Morris JR Stevenson
OF Jacob Ludvick SR La Verne
C Alex Toth JR Marietta
P Jason Dierkes SR St. Joseph's (LI)

Once again, congrats to all winners, all had outstanding seasons and look forward to next season!!

For these well deserving players that earned a Gold Glove Award this year, I had a friend ask me yesterday if these players actually receive a Gold Glove Trophy just like the pros do if they win a Gold Glove. And to be honest, I didn't really know the answer to that question...does anyone know if these 9 players get a trophy for winning this award?? If so, do they get it in the mail or presented with it by a committee??

Offline motorman

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2012, 07:05:25 pm »
Last year, 2 players from Heidelberg received gold gloves, and yes, they received actual gold glove trophies. They were presented the trophies after a game by the coaching staff. The thing I thought was cool was that one of the recipients was our catcher, and his trophy was a gold plated catcher's mitt. According to my son, the trophies were very heavy.

Offline Baseball6754

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2012, 02:34:54 pm »
Last year, 2 players from Heidelberg received gold gloves, and yes, they received actual gold glove trophies. They were presented the trophies after a game by the coaching staff. The thing I thought was cool was that one of the recipients was our catcher, and his trophy was a gold plated catcher's mitt. According to my son, the trophies were very heavy.

Would you happen to know when these players get those trophies? The reason I ask is my son knows one of the players who won a Gold Glove this year and was wondering when he would receive the trophy. I've heard that in the past, the players do not get the trophies until the following year (sometime in March or April) but I was just seeing if you knew if they would get them sooner than that.

Offline motorman

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2012, 10:55:23 pm »
I went back and checked the schedule, and their trophy presentation was April 6. One of the players had graduated and came back for the presentation. I don't know if the timing had anything to do with fitting around his schedule, though.

Offline Gramps

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2012, 07:41:40 am »

Would you happen to know when these players get those trophies? The reason I ask is my son knows one of the players who won a Gold Glove this year and was wondering when he would receive the trophy. I've heard that in the past, the players do not get the trophies until the following year (sometime in March or April) but I was just seeing if you knew if they would get them sooner than that.

YOU COULD GO TO THE RAWLINGS/GOLD GLOVE WEBSITE AND ASK THEM THEIR TIME FROM SELECTION TO DELIVERY OF THE AWARDS.  IT DID TAKE A YEAR IN THE CASE OF THE TWO HEIDELBERG PLAYERS, BUT I THINK THAT WAS THE CHOICE OF THE ADMINISTRATION.  IN 2011, THE GG AWARD WAS A GOLD GLOVE TROPHY,  BUT I DON'T KNOW ABOUT PREVIOUS YEARS.  I HAD HEARD THAT A PAST YEAR AWARDEE ONLY RECEIVED A CERTIFICATE OF AWARD.
CONGRATULATIONS TO YOUR SON'S FRIEND ON BEING RECOGNIZED FOR HIS ACCOMPLISHMENTS.

OshDude

« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2013, 01:31:12 pm »
An NCAA proposal, narrowly passed, will allow recruitment of Division III athletes via private social media messages. Thoughts?

A pre-vote NCAA release about the proposal (about halfway down page):
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2013/diii+management+council+backs+conference+grant+review+plan

Multiple Twitter reports say all 13 D-III proposals were adopted.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:34:50 pm by Ricky Nelson »

Offline EttaFan1

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2013, 08:19:41 am »
Ricky,

Just happened to notice, and it isn't completely NON baseball related, but more d3 related, and perhaps a subject of a story for the preseason, while we are waiting for the real goodies to start.

St. Thomas.  Currently ranked #1 in basketball, Finished as National runner up in football, and will be one of the best (and probably my pick to win it all) in baseball.  What an incredible story of success they are having at that school right now.

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2013, 01:27:57 pm »
Volleyball national champs this season, Final Four in women's basketball last year as well, and men's basketball national champ in 2011. Lot of success at Cretin & Summit right now.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline CrashDavisD3

• All-American
  • If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score
    • View Profile
    • Crash Davis in Action
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2013, 03:03:30 pm »
Volleyball national champs this season, Final Four in women's basketball last year as well, and men's basketball national champ in 2011. Lot of success at Cretin & Summit right now.
Amazing what St. Thomas is able to do. It must be the top program in all NCAA Sports regardless of Division. I am sure no other DI, DII, or DIII program even compares with this type of success.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

OshDude

« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2013, 06:08:38 pm »
Ricky,

Just happened to notice, and it isn't completely NON baseball related, but more d3 related, and perhaps a subject of a story for the preseason, while we are waiting for the real goodies to start.

St. Thomas.  Currently ranked #1 in basketball, Finished as National runner up in football, and will be one of the best (and probably my pick to win it all) in baseball.  What an incredible story of success they are having at that school right now.
It really is a great success story. As a relative outsider, at the very least St. Thomas athletics has a tremendous mix of talent (athletes, coaches and administrators), a desire to make athletics a point of pride, fabulous facilities, and resources to make things happen. It's an enviable set of core assets.

OshDude

« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2013, 12:23:38 pm »
Around the Nation is scheduled to return Feb. 20 with Part I of a Q&A with the new assistant director of championships in charge of D-III baseball.

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2013, 11:58:32 am »
Around the Nation is scheduled to return Feb. 20 with Part I of a Q&A with the new assistant director of championships in charge of D-III baseball.

Looking forward to it. I always love Around the Nation and the insight it provides into the world of D3 Baseball.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Offline Boysofsummer21

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2013, 11:17:57 am »
Ricky - Thank you for another year of "Around the Nation" I look forward to each one and liked the amount of information and detail you provided into this weeks column. The Championship stuff is confusing and details.

One question - You do not see Christopher Newport (CNU) as a top 25 team?

Look forward to reading all the Arond the Nations!!

OshDude

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2013, 11:48:03 am »
Ricky - Thank you for another year of "Around the Nation" I look forward to each one and liked the amount of information and detail you provided into this weeks column. The Championship stuff is confusing and details.

One question - You do not see Christopher Newport (CNU) as a top 25 team?

Look forward to reading all the Arond the Nations!!
That's the beauty of the preseason. I would definitely have CNU in my top 25 if I were to vote today. And probably fairly high. But the Captains lost so many starters. I had no idea what to expect. Hindsight says I should have given CNU benefit of the doubt. The Captains have earned it over the years. It was tough winnowing my initial list of nearly 80 candidates to 25. But you're right, I could use a do-over on CNU.

Is there anything that still confuses you about the championship stuff? I think I could answer most questions. Part II should shed some light. I also have a championship-related conversation with the selection chair that will run in a few weeks.

Offline Boysofsummer21

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2013, 11:57:07 am »
Ricky,
I really liked that you started the column off with answers to a lot of the questions from last year about the handbook, really sparked a lot conversation last year. I did like that you took the time to let us learn about the person and not just ask questions about the role.

As to CNU there are questions around starting fielders but they returned their entire pitching staff and add some transfers to it, so I think they will be fine. In the south you can pretty much figure that the regional finals will have CNU, Salisbury or Shenandoah in it if not a couple of them. I think Birmingham Southern is strong  and will really have a say this year if they all end up in one place.

Keep up the great work I really enjoy reading tghe column and look forward to it each and every time. Thank you for all your hard work and your insight! You da man!