Help prospective players find schools

Started by K-Mack, September 06, 2012, 06:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Mack

A catch all thread where I'll refer all the players who ask for advice over the course of the year, and the collective wisdom, which is much greater than mine alone, can point them in the right direction.

If you've got experience, maybe start with some general comments. I'll post a particular excerpt from a recent ATN, with an individual's e-mail, to get us started.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Help a recruit
I get a handful of e-mails, letters and phone calls each year from players who are looking for advice on how to find their way on to a D-III roster. I used to refer to people to the 'Parents with children looking to play in D3' thread, which conveyed the right messages, part of which is find a school that you'll love, and then try to play football, rather than finding a football team that you love. It's important to find a fit athletically, but it's most important to find a place you'll flourish as a person, regardless of how your playing career turns out.

This latest e-mail I got has the name and high school redacted, but I'd like to open up the replies to the general wisdom; you guys collectively always give better advice than me by myself. I have started a new thread on the boards, which I hope can be a catch-all for anyone who wants to use us to find a match. We've had some success stories in the past, on that parents thread, where the board has been able to help a player find a place to flourish. Now I'm just trying to organize all the collected wisdom so we can refer people there as they ask over time.

Here's the latest note I received:
Quote"Hello Mr. McMillan,
My name is Michael [last name] and I am a senior [in high school]. I play linebacker and on kick return for my team. I haven't gotten as much playing time as I hoped for so far, most likely because I just transferred to [my school] this year, and I'm not the most talented athlete out there. I'm pretty much an average football player with a love for the game, and this is my fourth year playing high school football. Could you please give me some advice on what to do to get recruited to play college football? Possibly for a D2 or D3 school?"

Michael, I'm going to do you one better. I'm going to let everyone give you advice. We've got good people here willing to help. A good place to start is to post on the thread, telling everybody what you would like to study in college.

Best of luck to you.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

NCF

michael, 1. you should decide on a possible major(s). 2. Do you want to stay in state? 3.Cost- what can you and your parents really afford? How much debt do want to carry after graduation? 4. What type of student are you? g.p.a. and a.c.t./s.a.t. scores along with a rigorous curriculum will determine what type and amount of academic scholarships that may be available to you. 5. Research all DII and DIII schools in the general area you'd like to be. Do they have my possible major? what kind of financial aid is available? 6. Contact the head coach/recruiting coordinator of all schools you are interested in and check their website for recruit forms to fill out and send. 7. Schedule a visit so you can meet the coach, some players and get a tour of the campus and maybe even meet profs. in your area of study. 8. Enjoy the process and take your time making a decicion. you want to stay at your school for four years and graduate with a meaningful degree. Good Luck!
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

SUADC

Micheal,

Tuition is a big part, I would first look at schools in-state, due to the fact that in-state tuition is probaly lower. However, there are schools that are out of state whose tuition is lower, you maybe want to look at schools within a reasonable distance from where you are located. After selecting a few schools that fit you, you may want to contact the recruiting coordinator or someone on the coaching staff that handles recruiting in your area or region. Next, you should send what film you have or game tape to the school and find out based on your grades, do you qualify to attend the school.

If everything goes well and the coaches like what they see or want to take a chance, they'll be in contact with you and take you thought the process of getting into the school. Also, Division 2 and Division 3 football isn't no joke, we have standards, we expect the best out each player on and off the field, so start doing a little extra at your school (hit the weight room, watch more film - become smart on the field, etc...) so that the next time you talk to K-Mack, you can say I am good player and not a average player, because many players on Division 2 or Division 3 rosters were either captains, starters, or players who seen a lot a time on the field while in high school and was maybe overlooked by bigger schools. Moreover, don't give up on you dream, keep working hard each day to get better and don't settle for anything but the best for you for the future, either for football or life in general.

SpartanMom_2016

1. Assess yourself as a football player.  An average high school player who does not get a lot of playing time may not be good enough to play in college.  Only you can assess whether you have the potential to play in college.  If you have trouble making this assessment ask a few of your coaches.  Many players on D2/3 teams were stars in high school. 

2.  Ask your parents about money.  How much money are they willing to pay?  How much financial aid can you expect?  Most schools have a financial aid calculator.  Use it.  Research schools where you might get an academic scholarship.  It doesn't make any sense to go into to debt so that you can play football.

3. Decide what your academic interests are.  You don't have to know what your major will be but you need to have an idea of where your academic interests are so that you can pick a school with strong programs.  Find schools that have D3 football and an appropriate academic program and fill out the recruit questionnaire on the school's website.

4.  Have a highlight video made.  This does not need to cost a lot of money.  No fancy graphics.  No music.  It cost us around $40 to have a highlight video made.  If you have a hudl account you can use the film from there.  Otherwise ask your coach how you can get access to the film.  Put the video up on YouTube and send a link to the video to coaches at schools you are interested in attending.  D3 coaches do not have huge recruiting budgets so they do actually recruit from videos that are sent to them.  When you send the video send your transcript and test scores as well (scan them and attach to the email).

5.  Cast a wide net. Not all coaches you contact will be interested so you need to contact many coaches.  Make sure you follow up with all the coaches to make sure they got your email.

panthersfan

D3 Poster Man

There's a website called www.berecruited.com. It allows your son to upload videos and a profile. You can them email to coaches.

Another idea is to spend lots of time on ACT/SAT prep. Many private schools award academic money based on these scores.

K-Mack

I get a handful of these each season, and we give out a lot of the same advice; just remembered I started a thread to centralize it, and then promptly forgot about it. Anyone want to take a crack at this one?

QuoteDear Mr. McMillan,

My name is [redacted] and I play high school football in Texas. I am a two year starter and was an all district selection as a junior at a 5A program. I am 5'10, 200 lbs and I play guard and center for [redacted] High School. I know that I'm very small, probably too small to play most places. I was just wondering if you think I'd be able to play football at the division 3 or naia level?

Thanks for your time,
xxxxxxxxx

Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

K-Mack

This thread is basically the same thing, but from a parent's perspective, and contains a lot of similarly useful advice over eight pages.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Scots13

All of the points above are spot on.

Can't add much more to Michael's inquiry other than don't go to school just for football. Find a school that has things that peak your interest outside of athletics and pursue those schools. Find out about campus life. Was your father in a fraternity...would you like to pledge? Not all school have Greek life.  Do you wish to travel overseas and study for a semester? Do you have an active church life...would you like to attend a faith-based college or university? All relevant issues in your college search.

As for the young man from Texas. If you truly were all district as a junior at a Texas 5A program, there's probably a spot for you somewhere. Whether that's at guard or center is yet to be determined. Just because you snapped the ball in high school doesn't mean you'll find yourself on the OL at a higher level. Don't automatically exclude yourself from reaching out just because of your size. Be proactive.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

albatross

K-Mack. I played for a 6A high school in Texas before making my way to Hendrix. Work ethic and toughness outrank size, as we all know in the d3 world. I would encourage this kid to fill out a recruiting form on a D3 school's site. Small linemen could always be moved to D-Line/TE/FB or get bigger and stronger in a college weight program. Send a hudl link of your best plays as well. A good start might be:

1. reaching out to the Texas d3 schools (plus hendrix and Louisiana college) - these schools have Texas HS FB roots/connections and that might expedite the process
2. then look at other schools across the country that might be a good fit academically and reach out to them as well.

note: find some of the coaches on twitter and give them a follow...particularly those that recruit your region/position group

Quote from: K-Mack on September 05, 2017, 10:11:42 AM
I get a handful of these each season, and we give out a lot of the same advice; just remembered I started a thread to centralize it, and then promptly forgot about it. Anyone want to take a crack at this one?

QuoteDear Mr. McMillan,

My name is [redacted] and I play high school football in Texas. I am a two year starter and was an all district selection as a junior at a 5A program. I am 5'10, 200 lbs and I play guard and center for [redacted] High School. I know that I'm very small, probably too small to play most places. I was just wondering if you think I'd be able to play football at the division 3 or naia level?

Thanks for your time,
xxxxxxxxx

K-Mack

Huh, I didn't realize it was good to send your Hudl link unsolicited. There's something I learned today.

I get e-mail like this but I tend to ignore them since, you know, I'm not a coach:

QuoteMiracle Williams <miracletwilliams@icloud.com>
10:27 PM (14 hours ago)

to keith.mcmillan
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4285985/5721c2400c5e68122497896a Hey coach ! My Name is Miracle Williams and I'm 20 years of age . I attended Randolph Clay High School Class of 2015 . I received a scholarship to this school in Virginia(Virginia University of Lynchburg) I only stayed there for a semester due to the fact that the school was on academic probation. I'm currently working to save up money to get back in school . I sent you a link to my highlight tape , I hope you like it  .
    Ready to get back on the field
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

albatross

Sometimes you just have to feel for it. Sometimes there are fields to enter your hudl link in Recruiting forms, sometimes there aren't...

Quote from: K-Mack on September 11, 2017, 01:13:04 PM
Huh, I didn't realize it was good to send your Hudl link unsolicited. There's something I learned today.

I get e-mail like this but I tend to ignore them since, you know, I'm not a coach:

QuoteMiracle Williams <miracletwilliams@icloud.com>
10:27 PM (14 hours ago)

to keith.mcmillan
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4285985/5721c2400c5e68122497896a Hey coach ! My Name is Miracle Williams and I'm 20 years of age . I attended Randolph Clay High School Class of 2015 . I received a scholarship to this school in Virginia(Virginia University of Lynchburg) I only stayed there for a semester due to the fact that the school was on academic probation. I'm currently working to save up money to get back in school . I sent you a link to my highlight tape , I hope you like it  .
    Ready to get back on the field

K-Mack

Here's a new one that's not necessarily specific to one player, but I thought you all could help. Didn't have permission to post names, so that's redacted, but referred the e-mailer to this thread.

QuoteI came across your blog and wanted to get opinions on recruiting.  We are a small christian school in [state] with numbers so low we play 8man ball.  Have you see instances where 8man players were able attend and play D3 from a recruitment standpoint?

Our staff firmly believe we have a few players that could play 3-5A H.S. ball but due to preference by the parents and students they desire to education outside the traditional Public School environment.

Thank you for taking the time to review this email and any opinion or insight is appreciated.

Final comment: We are using FieldLevel attempting to promote our players as well as trying to attend more camps to showcase our athletes. 

Sincerely,
xxxxxxx

I replied with this, and directed him here.

QuoteOne of the great things about D-III is no scholarships means no roster limits. And often, small schools are happy to have tuition-paying students on campus. So it gives the football coaches flexibility to cast a wide net while searching for talent, and it means that coaches are often willing to be patient with players who don't blossom until they've been in the program a year, or two, or three.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Ralph Turner

Quote from: K-Mack on December 04, 2017, 05:23:45 PM
Here's a new one that's not necessarily specific to one player, but I thought you all could help. Didn't have permission to post names, so that's redacted, but referred the e-mailer to this thread.

QuoteI came across your blog and wanted to get opinions on recruiting.  We are a small christian school in [state] with numbers so low we play 8man ball.  Have you see instances where 8man players were able attend and play D3 from a recruitment standpoint?

Our staff firmly believe we have a few players that could play 3-5A H.S. ball but due to preference by the parents and students they desire to education outside the traditional Public School environment.

Thank you for taking the time to review this email and any opinion or insight is appreciated.

Final comment: We are using FieldLevel attempting to promote our players as well as trying to attend more camps to showcase our athletes. 

Sincerely,
xxxxxxx

I replied with this, and directed him here.

QuoteOne of the great things about D-III is no scholarships means no roster limits. And often, small schools are happy to have tuition-paying students on campus. So it gives the football coaches flexibility to cast a wide net while searching for talent, and it means that coaches are often willing to be patient with players who don't blossom until they've been in the program a year, or two, or three.

Good answer. Let's take this one  a little farther. What is his (or her) SAT/ACT? S/He might get a competitive academic scholarship at a good D3 school. As I have said to many parents, the good thing about D3 is that the routine is set for your student-athlete which has been successful throughout high school.

Go to class
Go to practice.
Go back to dorm/apt. to study and get to bed.

Go to class the next morning, because many programs have the coaches and academic advisers checking on class attendance.
Practice
Study

and so on...