Author Topic: 2013 Preseason All-Americans Discussion  (Read 10521 times)

Offline appletonbound

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
2013 Preseason All-Americans Discussion
« on: November 15, 2012, 12:14:49 pm »
Little more than three months away from opening day in DIII Baseball, what are some initial thoughts about who deserves the preseason AA nods? POTYs?

Offline Whatagame

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Preseason All-Americans Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 07:22:58 pm »
I guess I'll throw a couple names out there from the West.  Possibly Rob Dittrick from Pacific and Dan Scheibe from Whitworth as pitchers for pre-season AA - probably long shots.  Tyler Pfeffer from Whitworth is probably a lock for preseason AA. 

I'm going to throw two names out there for pitchers who won't be on any preseason AA lists but very well could be "actual" D3 All Americans for the 2013 season:  Max Beatty from Pacific Lutheran and Travis McGee from Chapman.

Offline CrashDavisD3

• All-American
  • If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score
    • View Profile
    • Crash Davis in Action
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 12:52:21 pm »
I guess I'll throw a couple names out there from the West.  Possibly Rob Dittrick from Pacific and Dan Scheibe from Whitworth as pitchers for pre-season AA - probably long shots.  Tyler Pfeffer from Whitworth is probably a lock for preseason AA. 

I'm going to throw two names out there for pitchers who won't be on any preseason AA lists but very well could be "actual" D3 All Americans for the 2013 season:  Max Beatty from Pacific Lutheran and Travis McGee from Chapman.
Chapman has a long history of producing D3 AA pitchers. I would not be surprised that could continue...
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

Offline 108 Stitches

• All-Conference
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 01:11:00 pm »
My 2 cents. This is by no means a full list, just based on players I have seen play the past year….and can remember.

Ryan Gasporra, Cole Thompson – Centenary (not sure if they are eligible this year yet)

Ryan Lucero, Michael Bentz, Tanner Barron,- P  Christian Muscarello, Kelly Woodruff,  SS, C. - Trinity, Tx

Michael Vinyard –C/OF -  CLU

Tylar Grygarr, Ryan Ullman – P Concordia Tx.

I would think Ullman and Lucero are locks, but not knowing the process makes it difficult to really know.

Offline EttaFan1

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 01:14:40 pm »
Connor Mathis (OF) from Mount Union

Chris Thomas (P) from Heidelberg

Aaron Hopper (OF) from Marietta

Pat Havens (P) Baldwin Wallace

Offline BBFan62

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 01:44:21 pm »
From what I've heard, many of the Eastern and Northeast pitchers get somewhat shutout of consideration because the west and southwest pitchers are able to get many more starts and innings as compared to the other guys. The top Chapman pitchers, for example, are able to get  13-14 starts and 90+ innings because of the way the teams are scheduled and, usually, the cooperative weather. Not taking anything away (I was fortunate enough to catch the Trinity (TX) vs Chapman games) from these guys, they truly are very good as evidenced by the mlb draft, eastern players are lucky to get in 9 starts because of schedules and weather. Our team had 6 games canceled due to weather. Our conference plays doubleheaders each Saturday and Sunday, with usually 2 games during the week. We do not start until mid-March and end around 5/5 with the conference tournament. So, if a starter goes Saturday, a responsible coach would not bring him back for the Tuesday game, but might give him a couple of relief innings on Wednesday, which would be a bullpen day. He would then start again on Saturday. With the West starting in February and mainly going on the weekends, games are spread out, so you're number 1 & 2 can get more starts. While the 2 top guys for Marietta got 16 starts, Marietta played 56 games versus 40 for Chapman, for example.

Offline Boysofsummer21

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 02:03:46 pm »
I like;

p - Rauh - Chapman
p - Maher - St Thomas
p - Fleischman - CNU
p - Long - St John's

c - Tompkins - Becker
2b - Riley - Bridgewater

Offline BBFan62

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 09:47:44 am »
I like;

p - Rauh - Chapman
p - Maher - St Thomas
p - Fleischman - CNU
p - Long - St John's

c - Tompkins - Becker
2b - Riley - Bridgewater
BOS,
I agree with you on Rauh, except he signed with the Nationals on 6/12, so we'll have to look at another pick!

Offline Boysofsummer21

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 10:29:24 am »
BBFan62 - Thanks for the news and hope him the best in his efforts! Not sure how I missed his signing.

Offline EttaFan1

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 03:14:43 pm »
Dylan Thomas - Utl St. Thomas

Apolinar De La Cruz - Wheaton (MA) 1b

Offline appletonbound

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 07:59:47 pm »
Dylan Thomas - Utl St. Thomas

Apolinar De La Cruz - Wheaton (MA) 1b

Never seen De La Cruz play before, so there must be something about him people were high on last year, but his numbers (albeit very good) were not off the charts.
Has anyone seen him play/can anyone speak to how good of a player he is?

Offline EttaFan1

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 08:09:00 am »
Saw him in Appleton last season.  He was a freshman and was very good.  I think many of the teams he faced at the CWS approached him carefully, as he was probably the most dangerous offensive threat in the Wheaton lineup.  In a year where there weren't many balls hit out of fox cities stadium, he crushed one out to right center, a powerful shot. 

If he makes some strides from year one to year two, he will be someone to watch. 

Offline CrashDavisD3

• All-American
  • If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score
    • View Profile
    • Crash Davis in Action
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 12:07:29 am »
Saw him in Appleton last season.  He was a freshman and was very good.  I think many of the teams he faced at the CWS approached him carefully, as he was probably the most dangerous offensive threat in the Wheaton lineup.  In a year where there weren't many balls hit out of fox cities stadium, he crushed one out to right center, a powerful shot. 

If he makes some strides from year one to year two, he will be someone to watch. 

http://athletics.wheatoncollege.edu/sports/bsb/2011-12/players/apolinardelacruz3j7m
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
  • Managing Editor, D3baseball.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 05:17:36 pm »
Here are, in alphabetical order, are my top candidates for preseason AA 1B;

Evan Brockmeier, Marietta
Apolinar De la Cruz, Wheaton (Mass.)
Sean Gerber, UW-Stevens Point
Matt Hardy, Immaculata
Marty Herum, UW-Whitewater
Jeff Lynch, Johns Hopkins
Jake Northrup, Endicott
David Pierce, Bridgewater State
Mike Pratt, St Joseph (Maine)
Andrew Thole, Thomas More

Comments?

Offline Westside4

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 12:07:30 am »
I would say one lock out west has to be Tim Wilson from Linfield.

2011 - .490 BA, 33 R, 6 2B, 1 3B, 5 HR, 31 RBI, 19 SB.
2012 - .404 BA, 34 R, 17 2B, 1 3B, 3 HR, 23 RBI, 20 SB.

He is set to explode this year for an offense that returns a majority of their starters.