Author Topic: 2013 NCAA Baseball Championship  (Read 16666 times)

Offline tigerfan_2001

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 NCAA Baseball Championship
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2013, 12:42:38 am »
And 30-5 against everyone else. Good thing they didn't play a 4 game season, I guess.
Or play in the ASC East I guess...

Pretty sure they've won more games against teams in the tournament than Tyler or anyone else in the ASC East has. You're taking a statistical anomaly and making something of it. This is why the committee looks at the entire picture, at least most of the time.

Didn't you go on and on about how bad Trinity's singular loss to Rockford (now 17-23) in a four game series was earlier in the season?  Now you want to say going 0-4 against the bottom end of the ASC East is just an anomaly?  And the fact that another tournament team went 5-1 against the these common opponents doesn't mean anything?

So a singular loss in a four game series is terrible.  Getting swept in a three game series is an anomaly.  Got it.
he did. But if you call him out he will just edit his posts.

forheavendial4999

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2013, 02:28:49 am »
And 30-5 against everyone else. Good thing they didn't play a 4 game season, I guess.
Or play in the ASC East I guess...

Pretty sure they've won more games against teams in the tournament than Tyler or anyone else in the ASC East has. You're taking a statistical anomaly and making something of it. This is why the committee looks at the entire picture, at least most of the time.

Didn't you go on and on about how bad Trinity's singular loss to Rockford (now 17-23) in a four game series was earlier in the season?  Now you want to say going 0-4 against the bottom end of the ASC East is just an anomaly?  And the fact that another tournament team went 5-1 against the these common opponents doesn't mean anything?

So a singular loss in a four game series is terrible.  Getting swept in a three game series is an anomaly.  Got it.

Another person might have taken it as a compliment that the "bottom" of the ASC is being compared favorably with the middle of the NATHC. But whatever.

One difference -- home vs. road. Another difference, Rockford has never been any good/Miss Coll has been in a regional and plays Millsaps regularly. The game against Ozarks was literally the first game of the season.

Finally, Rockford was like 0-10 at the time and only got well once they started playing some of the bad teams in the very top heavy NATHC. But hey, if all you expect out of yourself is 3 out of 4 against such a program, so be it.

Obviously the committee found ample reason to think Huntingdon is pretty good despite a bad weekend. I think they got this one right. Actually I think they got a lot of the seedings right.

forheavendial4999

« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2013, 03:11:32 am »
I'm sure there's plenty more to write about the selections, seeds, etc. Don't want to hijack the conversation, but sooner or later the focus will revert to the 56 teams in the field. As you were. However, here are my regional champion guesses.

Bridgewater
Linfield
Augustana
St. Thomas
Ramapo
Wheaton (Mass.)
Cortland State
Illinois Wesleyan

I guess not haha!

I've got:
Southern Maine over Endicott
Rowan over Ithaca
Kean over Ramapo (if Cerreto pitches, I might have to change this)
Marietta over Illinois Wesleyan (I did NOT expect to pick MC to win a regional)
Huntingdon over Salisbury
Webster over Wartburg
St. Thomas over Case Western Reserve (surprise!)
Linfield over Cal Lutheran

I'm not really comfortable with how chalky this is. But that's what the analysis I have done in other years says.  At least I have 1 newcomer...seems to happen every year.

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2013, 09:04:07 am »
BigPoppa's Regional Predictions:

New England: Wheaton(Mass) over MIT
New York: Cortland over Ithaca
Mid-Atlantic: Kean over Rowan
Mid-East: Marietta over IWU
South: Salisbury over Millsaps
*Central: Concordia-Chicago over Webster
Midwest: Whitewater over St. Thomas
West: Linfield over Trinity(TX)

*my upset special

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Offline biggio34

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2013, 09:56:23 am »

*my upset special

I agree with Poppa, I like Conc- Chicago to win the Central.

forheavendial4999

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2013, 10:06:13 am »
Already a bit of a surprise with pitching choice in the tournament. MIT goes with #2/3 Max Ockner against WNE.

Offline mideastfan2

• Starter
  • 6 National Titles - 1981, 83, 86, 2006, 2011-12
    • View Profile
    • Marietta College Baseball
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2013, 11:07:19 am »
just popped in on the video feed for the mid-atlantic game....that field is awesome!!

i can't get the video for the Mideast game to work, looks like it's a great game though to start the regional.

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2013, 11:16:46 am »
Already a bit of a surprise with pitching choice in the tournament. MIT goes with #2/3 Max Ockner against WNE.

If it works, we know they are qualified to attend MIT ;D

forheavendial4999

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2013, 11:18:49 am »
just popped in on the video feed for the mid-atlantic game....that field is awesome!!

i can't get the video for the Mideast game to work, looks like it's a great game though to start the regional.

The Moosic regional is at the Yankees minor league stadium that just got revamped, IIRC. It does look very good, just hope the fan interest in there.

forheavendial4999

« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2013, 11:21:09 am »

If it works, we know they are qualified to attend MIT ;D

Ockner was great through 3, then had some control issues, gave up a 2 run HR and left down 4-2 after 7. Hard to say if Dama would have would better, but he certainly wasn't dominant.

forheavendial4999

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2013, 11:47:50 am »
Time to play: you are the coach.

You are Alvernia. You're up 9-2 in the top of the 5th. How long do you keep your ace (a probable All-American) in the game? He's at about 70 pitches to start the inning.

Offline CrashDavisD3

• All-American
  • If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score
    • View Profile
    • Crash Davis in Action
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2013, 12:18:02 pm »

*my upset special

Cant go wrong with Linfield in the West.

Does Cal Lu bats make the difference or does great pitching/fielding shut them down.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

forheavendial4999

« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2013, 12:21:43 pm »

Cant go wrong with Linfield in the West.

Does Cal Lu bats make the difference or does great pitching/fielding shut them down.

I wanted to, but I just can't find the pitching. I advanced them a game past where I felt like they could go just because of that offense. With Roth it's pretty much a 5-6 inning game, but it gets to where it's hard to find where they pitching comes from even for that.

Offline Bombers798891

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2013, 12:58:21 pm »

You are Alvernia. You're up 9-2 in the top of the 5th. How long do you keep your ace (a probable All-American) in the game? He's at about 70 pitches to start the inning.

I'd leave him in until you'd normally pull him. Why screw around? Unless it was like 14-1 after 2 and I had the chance to turn it into the equivalent of a relief session, freeing him to maybe throw 6-7 innings in a game later. This wouldn't save him THAT much

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2013, 01:05:19 pm »

I ride him till at least the 7th... or 95-100 pitches provided you still have that lead. If your pen can't hold a seven run lead, you aren't going to win the regional anyway.