Author Topic: WIAC 2013  (Read 1799 times)

Offline casualfan

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
WIAC 2013
« on: August 28, 2013, 09:21:29 am »
So the preseason rankings came out last week and here's what is projected.

2012 Record
1.  UW-Platteville (4)    15-4-2 overall, 3-1 WIAC
2.  UW-Whitewater (2)    8-5-3, 2-1-1
3.  UW-Oshkosh (2)            9-5-3, 2-2
4.  UW-Superior (2)            12-6-2, 2-1-1
5.  Finlandia University    4-12, 0-4
(  )--First-place votes   

Thoughts? Predictions? Conference MVPs?

Offline casualfan

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
Re: WIAC 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 10:07:58 am »
Looking at overall graduation losses, it seems that UW-Platteville will have a tough task to replace its top 3 point contributers with Chmiel, Ciszewski, and Brown. The three of them accounted for 30 goals and 15 assists.

Rumor has it that, UW-Oshkosh have a few transfers from UW-Green Bay for this fall, and will have talented forward Tony Starnes back from a season long injury. Will this be able to help Oshkosh return to the top of the conference after a fourth place finish last season?

UWW graduated three contributing seniors who will be missed, but it seems that the Warhawks will be prepared to compete for the conference championship with a few key newcomers who should produce along with a very good returning group.

UW-Superior apparently returns 10 starters from a 12-6-2 season where they competed in just about every game. Could this be the year that they shock the conference and seriously compete for the the title? I'm not so sure.

Finlandia is Finlandia.

My personal predictions are:

1. UWW
2. UWO
3. UWP
4. UWS
5. Finlandia

Offensive Player of the Year: UW-Oshkosh Tony Starnes
Defensive Player of the Year: UW-Whitewater Josh Rohde

Offline casualfan

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 11:05:12 am »
1-1 Draw between UWP and Wisconsin Lutheran College?

Most will see the stat sheet and think that UWP dominated the entire match, but there was much more to it than that. To be honest, WLC had most of the possession for the majority of the match. Platteville did have the better of the chances, but it was actually a pretty even game overall. WLC looks to have a nice squad this year.

UWP will have to find a scoring threat or their season will be definitely be an underachieving one. If Prudisch is starting at Center Forward after winning Defensive POY last season, there's something wrong with your offensive output. The only real threat up top was Mboje Sarr #10. Of the newcomers, I thought #21 Emilio Lopez for UWP played rather well in the center of midfield. Very composed player who should be used more imo. The Pioneer backline pumped it in behind the entire match, which was disappointing to see from a superior side.

Not the best result for the returning WIAC Champions and #17 (NSCAA) ranked team in the country.

Offline WLCALUM83

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 03:47:55 pm »
1-1 Draw between UWP and Wisconsin Lutheran College?

Most will see the stat sheet and think that UWP dominated the entire match, but there was much more to it than that. To be honest, WLC had most of the possession for the majority of the match. Platteville did have the better of the chances, but it was actually a pretty even game overall. WLC looks to have a nice squad this year.

UWP will have to find a scoring threat or their season will be definitely be an underachieving one. If Prudisch is starting at Center Forward after winning Defensive POY last season, there's something wrong with your offensive output. The only real threat up top was Mboje Sarr #10. Of the newcomers, I thought #21 Emilio Lopez for UWP played rather well in the center of midfield. Very composed player who should be used more imo. The Pioneer backline pumped it in behind the entire match, which was disappointing to see from a superior side.

Not the best result for the returning WIAC Champions and #17 (NSCAA) ranked team in the country.

Wisconsin Lutheran's squad did well enough in 2012 to qualify for the Northern Athletics Conference playoffs (first time in several seasons the team had done so). 
WBB:  NCAA bids 2000, 2003, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
MBB:  NCAA bid   2006.

Offline wiacwatcher

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 08:27:30 pm »
UW Oshkosh went 2-0 on their California road trip and seem for the first time in a awhile, to be playing a schedule that seems worth playing. Starnes put one in the back of the net which is a good sign coming off an ACL injury 12 months back.

I am not reading much into UW Platteville's tie against WLC (no offense to WLC), a lot of early season jitters and away to a team looking to make their season with a win against a big team. Tonight verse Loras will be the real test for the reigning WIAC Champs.

UW Whitewater will be the mystery team in my opinion this semester. Losing three key players could hurt them a ton. Rumor has it that they have a lot of depth but since they have yet to play a match it is hard to tell. After this week we should know a lot more about the Warhawks.

UW Superior ties Loras (Enough Said??). They win the Advantage Emblem Cup (Which UWW won last year) and have the momentum to make their best push towards the tournament in years.

Findlandia will be in the cellar I can promise but it should be noted that through 2 games Cuevas of FU has 4 goals. Could challenge for offensive mvp this season.

Offline GarbageGoals33

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 09:59:30 am »
If UW-Superior stays healthy they could easily make a run to the tournament this year.  They have a hand full of pretty good players that are physical and athletic.  As they showed against Loras they should be able to compete against the top 5 teams in the region. 

Offline casualfan

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 10:50:07 am »
5-0 loss handed to UWP by Loras. From the sounds of it, Loras seemed to score at will even with IIAC MVP Kevin Cavers going down with an elbow injury at 0-0. Like I've said earlier, they will struggle to score this season. Will they go from 1st to 4th this year?

Hoping to see the rest of the WIAC within the next 2 weeks or so. So far judging by the early results, Oshkosh and Superior seem to be stronger than last year. Who knows about UWW? I guess we'll find out tonight.

Offline Ambush004

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 10:38:47 pm »
As a fan of the north region I believe it will be a tight race between Oshkosh and Loras. I like UW-S though they are athletic and big players that play hard. Coaching might be the key in playing to their strengths and making this their season. September 11th will be a good game mark it down.

Oshkosh get a new field yet? That things all types of confusing.

Offline wiacwatcher

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 01:17:24 am »
Three Quick Mid-Week Observations:

1. UW-P cannot score and are obviously not the team of 2012

2. UW-S caught a lot of peoples attention for their performance AT HOME in the emblem cup. But when it came time to keep it rolling they end up getting bowled over by Augsberg

3. UW-W finally played a game.... not against much competition but they scored 3 goals and St. Norberts did not record a shot on goal. Same story different year, Whitewater looks to have a solid defense again. I will not make a full prediction on Whitewater until they play their first real test.

Offline casualfan

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 05:11:14 am »
It seems that UWW will be able to compete with the best of the WIAC after seeing their performance last night. St. Norbert never seemed to even find a pass on their offensive half of the field. I'm sure once the kinks are worked out with the starting XI and impact subs, this game would be at least 5-0. From the looks of it, this may be the first year where the majority of the team comes back from the year prior. Different regime starting to come through under Coach Tony Guinn.

Here's to an exciting season.

Offline casualfan

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 11:27:36 am »
Prior to any games being played on September 13th, the WIAC records are:

Finlandia: 3-2
UW-Oshkosh: 3-0-2
UW-Platteville: 1-1-2
UW-Superior: 2-3-1
UW-Whitewater: 2-0

FU: Although the opponents have been very bad, Finlandia has 3 early wins. I would imagine it's their best early season record to date. Good for them for improving little by little.

UWO: 3 wins over Cali and Nebraska teams are hard to read. 2 ties with GAC and Loras says that the Titans can play with anyone here in the Midwest. It seems the transfers have been working out for them. Any word on why #9 Ryan Hanna isn't listed on the roster for them? Very good player the past few seasons.

UWP: A 5-0 loss and 2 ties with Dubuque and Wisco Lutheran show that this team is much worse than last season's team. Even with a 9-1 win over Lakeland, this season has shown that the Pioneers will struggle to score in big games. I'm predicting a sub-500 season.

UWS: Very good start to the year with a 3-0 win over Concordia-Moorhead and a tie with Loras to win the Emblem Cup. But since that 1-0-1 start, they've been 1-3 with losses to in-region MIAC schools GAC and Augsburg. I'm very much looking forward to next weekend's first conference matchup between Superior and Platteville. Remember the Yellowjackets were the only WIAC team to defeat the Pioneers in conference last season.

UWW: 2 good wins against average opponents are difficult to judge. The Warhawks have yet to give up a shot on goal though. With Wartburg and North Central this weekend, the Warhawks should be sitting at 4-0 after the weekend. Last season, the Wartburg Knights stunned the Warhawks 3-2 early on when they were ranked in the top 25.

Weekend Predictions:

UWO-St. Thomas: 2-0 UWO
UWS-Macalester: 3-1 UWS
UWP-St. Johns: 1-1 draw
UWW-Wartburg: 2-0 UWW
FU-Robert Morris: 2-2 draw
UWO-Wartburg: 1-0 UWO
UWP-Carroll: 2-1 UWP
UWW-North Central: 4-0 UWW

Offline wiacwatcher

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 09:47:36 pm »
Whitewater 2 Wartburg 1.

Whitewater wins in overtime and made this a lot closer than they needed to. Owned the first half, went to sleep the second and came alive in overtime to pull out the win. Should be interesting to see how well UWW can be if they put a full game together. Definitely a team to watch over the next couple weeks.

Offline casualfan

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 02:37:13 pm »
The current conference standings are

UW-Superior           1-0-1              Overall   5-4-2
UW-Platteville         1-1-0              Overall   4-3-3
UW-Oshkosh           0-0-1             Overall   5-0-4
UW-Whitewater      0-0-0             Overall   8-1-0
Finlandia                 0-1-0             Ovearll   3-3-1

From the looks of it, it seems that UWO and UWW will be the only possibilties for NCAA tournament play. Could this be a year where they both get in, similar to 2010? It may not happen since there is only 1 independent bid this year compared to 2 that year. But there's a lot of season left and anyone can win a game between the top 4 teams here.

This week for the WIAC and my predictions.

Tuesday 10/1
Northland @ UWS...... UWS 4-0
Cornell @ UWP......      UWP 7-0
UWW @ North Park..... 1-1 draw

Wednesday 10/2
St. Norbert @ UWO.... UWO 3-0

Saturday 10/5
Augsburg @ UWO.... 2-2 draw

Sunday 10/6
UWW @ UWP..... 2-0 UWW
UWO @ Finlandia... 4-0 UWO

Offline GarbageGoals33

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 02:09:50 pm »
UWW got pumped last night 3-0 by North Park.  UWW has had a pretty weak schedule thus far with one decent win (Wartburg).  I have a feeling that UWW will be losing to Loras and UWO still this season which would leave them on the outside looking in for an NCAA tournament selection.  The remainder of the UWW schedule is pretty average and they may see mixed results against teams like UWS and Chicago.

Offline wiacwatcher

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 11:30:31 pm »
Caught the UWW and UWP game online today. UWP goes up 2-0 in the first 35 minutes only to lose on a last second header 3-2. The goals by UWP were suspect to say the least. Looked as though keeper got pushed on the first one and on the second UWW left 3 guys unmarked on the back post on a long throw in. Besides those two plays UWW dominated the game and played their first solid game of the year in my eyes. They involved their midfield and showed that kick ball is not their only game. For as close of a game as it was on the scoreboard I feel as though if these teams were to meet again it would not be nail biter like today.

My prediction for the rest of the season is that if Whitewater finishes 16-4 and does not lose a conference game and then goes on and wins the WIAC tournament they will make the NCAA tournament.

After seeing Loras struggle on the grass at Wartburg, I would not be surprised if UWW comes out with at least a result against Loras. Chicago, UWS, UWO, Illinois Wesleyan are the other games to watch for UWW.