Author Topic: MIAA (Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association)  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Flying Dutch Fan

• All-American
  • Spera in Deo
    • View Profile
MIAA (Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association)
« on: September 17, 2013, 02:56:37 pm »
Big match tonight as #5 Hope travels to Grand Rapids to face #1 Calvin.  I attended this same match last year and it was an awesome thing to see - looking forward to an electric atmosphere and a Hope win.
2016 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Offline Roundball999

• Starter
    • View Profile
Re: MIAA (Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 03:41:29 pm »
Big match tonight as #5 Hope travels to Grand Rapids to face #1 Calvin.  I attended this same match last year and it was an awesome thing to see - looking forward to an electric atmosphere and a Hope win.

Wish I could be there.  Calvin had the edge last year but the matches with the Dutch were extremely competitive and well played and the atmosphere was fantastic.  I would expect the same tonight.

WLCALUM83

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 06:14:03 pm »
Check out the latest post on the AVCA D3 Top 25 board  (link will indicate there's a bit more on the line tonight.)

Offline Dark Knight

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 10:32:22 pm »
Just before the match, Hope went up to #2 in the rankings, so the Calvin-Hope match was #1 vs. #2.

The atmosphere was indeed electric with 2100 people. The student section was packed and very loud. It was hard-fought and well-played. It felt like a tournament game.

Calvin ended up on top with a three-set win, the last set 28-26.

Offline Dark Knight

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 03:19:29 pm »
According to Massey's computer rankings, Calvin's volleyball team would be #12 in D II. It would be #85 in D I, in the top quarter of D I teams.

Is there less of a difference between D I, D II, and D III in volleyball than in basketball or football? I can't imagine any D III basketball or football team better than three quarters of the D I teams.

Or maybe comparisons between divisions are inaccurate because there are so few inter-divisional games.

Offline Flying Dutch Fan

• All-American
  • Spera in Deo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 03:38:39 pm »
According to Massey's computer rankings, Calvin's volleyball team would be #12 in D II. It would be #85 in D I, in the top quarter of D I teams.

Is there less of a difference between D I, D II, and D III in volleyball than in basketball or football? I can't imagine any D III basketball or football team better than three quarters of the D I teams.

Or maybe comparisons between divisions are inaccurate because there are so few inter-divisional games.

With basketball there are at least a few games every year between the divisions (at least on the men's side).  Last year there were 45 games between DI and DIII and 40 between DII and DIII.    Football - zero, volleyball ????

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

goodknight

Offline Flying Dutch Fan

• All-American
  • Spera in Deo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 04:55:17 pm »
And the Flying Dutch are the 2014 National Champions!!!!!!

John Wooden

goodknight