Author Topic: 2014 Bracketology  (Read 13035 times)

Offline Dyce

• Second-stringer
  • Yep, that Dyce.
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Bracketology
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 11:56:48 am »
While were on the topic of inconsistencies...

...how about the fact that games against DII competition count as part of L25 but not WIN?

I suppose it's to prevent either having to reach back too far for L25-eligible games or creating a small sample size, but in the case of the former, we'd only be talking a weekend or two back unless teams were to backload their schedule with two-game sets versus St. Mike's and St. Anselm for some reason.  It seems like a pretty big overreaction to bring DII squads into the mix just because you're worried that games in early February aren't representative of late-season play.
I Support the Plattsburgh State Fighting Soaring Ice Cardies

Offline Matt R

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 02:54:11 pm »
Despite getting outshot 45-10, Colby upsets Amherst 3-2 in the NESCAC Quarterfinals ending any hope Amherst had of a Pool C bid.

Also, as we speak, Conn College is taking Middlebury to overtime 1-1.

Edit: Williams just defeated Trinity 3-2. If Middlebury wins they will face Colby in the Semis. If Conn College wins, they will face Williams.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:57:12 pm by Matt R »

Offline Matt R

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 03:24:04 pm »
Another huge upset in the NESCAC as Conn College shocks #1 Middlebury 2-1 in overtime.

Williams will host the NESCAC tournament next weekend and face Conn College. Colby will play the winner of Wesleyan/Bowdoin.

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 07:35:43 pm »
As Norwich also need OT to win a QF game, it's been a strange weekend in women's hockey.  Bracketology should be interesting this week.....

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 07:22:34 pm »
We'll see if the regional rankings bring and surprises, but Middlebury getting bumped will slide everyone down a spot it's going to be Elmira, UW-River Falls and UW-Stevens Point vying for two spots.
"It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere" - Voltaire

Offline Matt R

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 07:46:35 pm »
We'll see if the regional rankings bring and surprises, but Middlebury getting bumped will slide everyone down a spot it's going to be Elmira, UW-River Falls and UW-Stevens Point vying for two spots.

I agree, and a quick look at the numbers tells me Elmira is the odd team out.

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 07:52:13 pm »

Sure seems that way, which is somewhat remarkable.  But if you let the process hold...that was the conclusion last week and likely will be again.

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 09:28:43 pm »

Without the detailed look at the numbers Matt & Matt have analyzed, it would make sense for Elmira to be behind Middlebury.  I suspect their resumes are pretty similar with the glaring H2H win for Middlebury.  I'm more curious to see the comparisons with the western teams.

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 03:28:38 pm »

Without the detailed look at the numbers Matt & Matt have analyzed, it would make sense for Elmira to be behind Middlebury.  I suspect their resumes are pretty similar with the glaring H2H win for Middlebury.  I'm more curious to see the comparisons with the western teams.
[/quote]

Well, the new rankings are out.  As I suspected, Middlebury is still ahead of Elmira and looking at the numbers, I think Elmira loses all of the criteria to both River Falls and Stevens Point.  That means a desperate Eagles teams is coming to Plattsburgh this weekend.  That has worked out well for Elmira in the past.... If Elmira wins the ECAC West, it would seem that Middlebury's fate become interesting.  They win WIN% and SOS, but seem to lose RNK and L25.... can't wait to read the Bracketology on this...

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 03:39:27 pm »
Falls and Point will get a SOS boost this weekend as they play each other though it won't be enough to catch Midd.  I don't have time to dig into them at the moment, but be careful how you interpret the RNK on the NCAA sheet. Often they refer to the RNK against the teams that were ranked LAST week and need to be adjusted.

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 04:09:35 pm »
Falls and Point will get a SOS boost this weekend as they play each other though it won't be enough to catch Midd.  I don't have time to dig into them at the moment, but be careful how you interpret the RNK on the NCAA sheet. Often they refer to the RNK against the teams that were ranked LAST week and need to be adjusted.

Fair enough.  I defer to those with more experience & time for the comparisons anyway.  I await Bracketology III...

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2014, 04:24:56 pm »
Now posted since I fear we may be in for a lengthy wait on the men...

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 05:17:38 pm »
FYI for the playoff tracker:  Plattsburgh/Utica is at 3:30 with the Elmira/Oswego game set for 7 pm.

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2014, 02:16:09 pm »
Thanks....I see someone already has updated.

Women's Bracketology shall now commence...

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2014, 04:16:58 pm »