Author Topic: 2014 Bracketology  (Read 10120 times)

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Bracketology
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2014, 04:35:23 pm »
I hate the thought of a desperate Elmira team coming to town.  It's worked well for the Eagles in the past.  They split with Plattsburgh and Norwich, while losing a pair to Middlebury.  2-4 against the top teams seems to justify their plight if they can't win out in the ECACW.

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2014, 06:59:32 am »
no #1 regional seed has ever not made a DIII tournament.  In any sport. Ever.  River Falls is in.

From the final bracketology projection.  I assume you mean women's #1 seed, right?  Since on the men's side, Trinity went from #1 to home in just five days...

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2014, 10:23:37 am »
I'm stunned that Elmira was able to overcome a 0-2-0 H2H with Middlebury to get in.  I'll be curious to read your final analysis of how the Committee came to that conclusion...

Offline PeterLangella

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2014, 11:59:45 am »
I'm stunned that Elmira was able to overcome a 0-2-0 H2H with Middlebury to get in.  I'll be curious to read your final analysis of how the Committee came to that conclusion...

Looks like L25 ruled the day in that case. Elmira 5-2, Midd 2-3-1.

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2014, 12:17:08 pm »

Looks like L25 ruled the day in that case. Elmira 5-2, Midd 2-3-1.

That is my least favorite measurement of all time and it seems the men's and women's committees fell in love with it.  Time to make sure you end your season with cupcakes!  Also, with the scheduling the way it is, Plattsburgh played 1 (regular season) home game against the the #2-#5 teams in their conference.  If not for a coin flip, 9 of the 10 games with those teams would have been on the road.

Offline PeterLangella

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 07:38:10 pm »
Norwich - Elmira was one of the best games I've seen in a long time. It was a pleasure to be in attendance.

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2014, 11:01:43 am »
Norwich - Elmira was one of the best games I've seen in a long time. It was a pleasure to be in attendance.

And I said the same thing about the Plattsburgh/Elmira game a week before that.  Maybe that's why Elmira went to the tourney and Middlebury stayed home.  Still not sure I buy it, but....

Offline magicman

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2014, 03:40:42 pm »
Congratulations to the National Champion Plattsburgh State Cardinal Women's Hockey Team. They end up with 28-1-1 season tying the record for most wins. They handily defeated Norwich 9-2 in the Championship game. This is the 3rd National Championship for Plattsburgh having last won it in 2008. They also won it all in 2007.

The Cardinals had the Player of the year, goalie Sydney Aveson  and Coach of the Year, Kevin Houle.  This was the 2nd straight year that Plattsburgh took home both major awards.

A senior goaltender from West Covina, Calif., Aveson becomes just the second goaltender to receive the Laura Hurd Award after posting spectacular numbers in her final season. She finished her career with a 69-8-5 career record with 31 career shutouts more than any other Division III men's or women's goaltender. Aveson also holds nine of the program's goaltending records. The most decorated goaltender in Plattsburgh State history, she was named as a 1st Team All American and is now a three-time All-American, two-time ECAC Women's West Goalie of the Year and the 2014 ECAC Women's West Player of the Year

For Coach Houle it marked the 2nd straight year he's has been honored as the Coach of the Year and it was the 5th time he's won the award.  He was also the winner in 2006-2007-2008-2013.