Author Topic: 2015 Regional Ranking speculation  (Read 3815 times)

Online spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
2015 Regional Ranking speculation
« on: February 17, 2015, 12:36:15 pm »
Just thought I'd take a stab at the first NCAA regional ranking.  The records are the NCAA tournament records (no Canton, no Div II games).  If I'm off, it's because I looked at it quickly:

1. Oswego (16-1-3)
2. Trinity (19-2-1)
3. Norwich (17-3-1)
4. Mass-Boston (17-3-1)
5. Amherst (15-4-1)
6. Plattsburgh (16-5-1)
7. Hobart (18-6-0)
8. Babson (13-5-3)

I also considered Nichols, but there just isn't anything on their schedule that warrants their being ranked.  I think Williams has also fallen out of contention...

Offline llama

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Regional Ranking speculation
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 06:15:56 pm »
Well, you got 7 out of the 8 teams right and called out you were debating Nichols...so maybe that counts as 7.5 out of 8?  ;D

I'm going to guess nobody got the order right!!

Online spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 09:09:09 pm »
The order definitely surprised me though.

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 01:06:14 pm »
The order definitely surprised me though.

If it helps try to figure things out at all, the unpublished East Region rankings were:

1. Trinity
2. Oswego
3. Norwich
4. Amherst
5. Hobart
6. Plattsburgh
7. UMB
8. Williams
"It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere" - Voltaire

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 01:51:50 pm »
Giving this one a bump here.

We remain confused as to the reasons for the movements in this week's East rankings, and I got nothin' as to why the things that happened, happened. For the sake of general discussion, anyone have any theories?

Online spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 02:14:25 pm »
Giving this one a bump here.

We remain confused as to the reasons for the movements in this week's East rankings, and I got nothin' as to why the things that happened, happened. For the sake of general discussion, anyone have any theories?

I thought Hobart was too high last week, but their high SOS and L25, which the committee seems to have weighted high in the past, made it palatable.  I can't imagine why the East committee wants to get UMass-Boston to the table so fast. Their SOS would seem to be a dangerous comparison with any other team.

I assume all of this maneuvering is to make sure we don't know what the hell they are thinking!  And so we aren't surprised when Trinity doesn't make the tournament again!

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 04:29:49 pm »

I thought Hobart was too high last week

Obviously the committee did as well, but then the confusing thing is what changed between then and now to make them come to that conclusion? The only numerical change that was anywhere near notable was that the team ahead of Hobart had an 0-1-1 weekend.  Just seems to be no continuity there.

Agreed on UMB. We went with UMB in that SNC comparison, but I really, really wouldn't be surprised if the committee did the opposite.

Online spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 04:44:53 pm »

Obviously the committee did as well, but then the confusing thing is what changed between then and now to make them come to that conclusion? The only numerical change that was anywhere near notable was that the team ahead of Hobart had an 0-1-1 weekend.  Just seems to be no continuity there.

Agreed on UMB. We went with UMB in that SNC comparison, but I really, really wouldn't be surprised if the committee did the opposite.

This was my problem with Trinity dropping from #1 to out of the tournament.  What changed from the Tuesday before?  Every team they were compared with lost one more game between the last public ranking and the super secret ranking.  I don't have a problem with them not getting in last year - their schedule was a joke.  But I couldn't see how they had the Committee's support on Tuesday (#1 in the East) and then not even make the tournament less than a week later.  And if you believe the speculation, they weren't even the first team out!  OK, OK.  I'm done with the Trinity Tragedy of 2014!

Online spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 02:23:21 pm »
Upset alert?  Did Trinity not learn their lesson last year?  1-1 with Tufts at the end of two.  Shots are 19-18 in favor of the Jumbos....

Edit:  Tufts leads 2-1 with 11 minutes left in the third.:o

Edit again: Tufts holds on for the victory.  They were outshot 25-6 in the third, but Trinity couldn't get the equalizer.  They really like testing the Committee's patience, don't they?!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 03:08:21 pm by spwood »