Author Topic: 2015 Bracketology  (Read 13645 times)

Offline FSU96

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Bracketology
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2015, 12:50:07 pm »
But if Adrian stayed #1 in the West, and Elmira dropped to #2 in the East, wouldn't that send Elmira to Michigan? What am I missing here?

Also, if Adrian is going to drop a game, it might be better to do it today instead of tomorrow against a potentially ranked team.

This is quite the messed up conversation here...

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 12:58:56 pm »
But if Adrian stayed #1 in the West, and Elmira dropped to #2 in the East, wouldn't that send Elmira to Michigan? What am I missing here?

Also, if Adrian is going to drop a game, it might be better to do it today instead of tomorrow against a potentially ranked team.

I agree completely messed up.  And I still have Adrian going to Elmira because I think the numbers would have Elmira as the overall #2, and still ahead of Adrian.  I could definitely be wrong about that because Elmira losing to Plattsburgh and Adrian winning the NCHA would make the comparison very, very close.

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2015, 04:33:33 pm »

I agree completely messed up.  And I still have Adrian going to Elmira because I think the numbers would have Elmira as the overall #2, and still ahead of Adrian.  I could definitely be wrong about that because Elmira losing to Plattsburgh and Adrian winning the NCHA would make the comparison very, very close.

Good questions in previous few posts and I have no idea myself. We saw the regional seeds come into play in the Elmira/Adrian men's  situation in 2011, yet also know that there is some sort of overall seeding done. Ex: top overall seed is always top team on bracket. Per the book though, in a 2Ev1W game the West team hosts. What would happen in this specific instance? No clue.
"It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere" - Voltaire

Offline FSU96

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 06:24:28 pm »
Adrian just lost. Now what?

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 06:48:02 pm »
Adrian just lost. Now what?

We wait. :)

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2015, 04:03:30 pm »
With Lake Forest winning the NCHA title (and being the only western team within 500 miles (and assuming the 4/4 split), does avoiding flights trump avoiding conference match ups in the first round (is that even a rule?)?

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2015, 07:49:39 pm »
With Lake Forest winning the NCHA title (and being the only western team within 500 miles (and assuming the 4/4 split), does avoiding flights trump avoiding conference match ups in the first round (is that even a rule?)?

That's a good question. It isn't directly addressed in the manual but I would guess the answer is yes.

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2015, 09:44:14 am »
No final Bracketology, since Trinity threw the final wrench into the works?  I'm thinking the Middlebury / Adrian comparison is really, really close.  Does Plattsburgh get the #1 seed or is it Elmira (the difference between playing Lake Forest and playing Trinity)?  Even if it isn't an article, I'd be interested in your thoughts before the selection show.

Edit (after Selection show):  I'm curious what prompted St. Thomas to fall behind Lake Forest.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:13:07 am by spwood »

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2015, 04:28:29 pm »
No final Bracketology, since Trinity threw the final wrench into the works?  I'm thinking the Middlebury / Adrian comparison is really, really close.  Does Plattsburgh get the #1 seed or is it Elmira (the difference between playing Lake Forest and playing Trinity)?  Even if it isn't an article, I'd be interested in your thoughts before the selection show.

Edit (after Selection show):  I'm curious what prompted St. Thomas to fall behind Lake Forest.

Was posted last night. It's right on the front page :).  As usual, we had it right save for flipping two seeds in the East.

http://d3hockey.com/bracketology/women/14-15/final-projection

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2015, 04:31:17 pm »
As for UST/LFC, Lake Forest appeared in the first two sets of regional rankings while St. Thomas appeared in none. Based on that we assumed LFC was ahead of UST the whole time which is why we sent UST, as bottom seed, to Platty. Seems to be what the committee did as well.

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2015, 10:08:43 pm »
As for UST/LFC, Lake Forest appeared in the first two sets of regional rankings while St. Thomas appeared in none. Based on that we assumed LFC was ahead of UST the whole time which is why we sent UST, as bottom seed, to Platty. Seems to be what the committee did as well.

It appears I was mixing up the men's and women's rankings.  For the men's ranking, St. Thomas was the last ranked western team.  I've done a lot of flipping back and forth between the two since Sunday afternoon!

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2015, 01:40:02 pm »
So looking ahead, does the ECAC Atlantic start up next year or 2016-2017?  Are we losing a Pool C bid or do we get to add one team so it's a wash?

Offline magicman

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2015, 04:29:15 am »
Plattsburgh State Women will host the national semifinals and finals on March 20th and 21st if they win their game on Saturday. That will force the Plattsburgh Men to play their March 21st game on their opponents home rink.

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2015, 08:43:53 am »
Since it appears Plattsburgh was given a choice of one team can host, they made the right choice.  The chance to hold the women's Final Four trumps the men's chance to host a QF game.  Sucks that they were forced to make a choice, though.

Offline magicman

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2015, 06:35:17 am »
The Plattsburgh State women defeated St Thomas by a 4-1 score Saturday afternoon to advance to the NCAA D3 semifinals.

Plattsburgh State will host the national tournament on March 20 and 21st.