Author Topic: 2015 Bracketology  (Read 13620 times)

Offline magicman

• All-American
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Bracketology
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2015, 06:47:11 am »
The other top seeds all advanced as well with #2 Elmira defeating #6 Trinity 3-2 in overtime

#3 Norwich beat #4 Middlebury by a 3-2 score also

Out west #5 UW-River Falls downed #10 Lake Forest 3-1.

I would think that the semifinals would have Plattsburgh hosting River Falls and Norwich tangling with Elmira in the 1st game at Plattsburgh's Stafford Ice Arena. They will be announced later today or tomorrow. 

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2015, 07:44:32 pm »
The bracket is set up completely ahead of time.  Plattsburgh wasalwaysplaying the Middlebury/Nowich winner.  Plattsburgh plays Norwich at 3:30, while Elmira will met UWRF at 7...

Offline magicman

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2015, 08:09:57 pm »
The bracket is set up completely ahead of time.  Plattsburgh was always playing the Middlebury/Nowich winner.  Plattsburgh plays Norwich at 3:30, while Elmira will met UWRF at 7...

You're right. I knew that because I looked at the bracket several days ago. Just forgot that I did. ::)  When I read that the NCAA awards the semis and finals to the highest remaining seed, I got to thinking that as the top seed Plattsburgh would face the lowest seed. Some basketball genes taking over momentarily. :D

This tidbit from the Plattsburgh website didn't help either.

" More information about matchups, tickets and game times will be available at www.gocardinalsports.com once it is known."

That led me to think that the matchups weren't announced yet. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 08:14:01 pm by magicman »

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2015, 09:04:36 am »
By picking the 3:30 game, I'm guessing Coach Houle doesn't put much faith in the home crowd.  It can't be that big a deal to play 7:00 pm two nights in a row, can it?

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2015, 09:30:53 am »
Platty is facing the lowest remaining seed.  1. Platty  2. Elmira  3. UWRF  4. Midd  5. NU  6. Trin  7. LFC  8. UST.

As for the early game...I honestly don't know the answer to this, but does the top seed have a choice in the matter or does the highest remaining seed always play first at the direction of NCAA?  Speaking of which, fun fact: tournament top seed is always top team on NCAA bracket, at least for DIII hockey.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 09:33:12 am by Matthew Webb »
"It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere" - Voltaire

Offline magicman

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2015, 05:17:35 am »
Plattsburgh State defeats Elmira 3-2 Saturday evening, to claim their 2nd straight NCAA Championship. It was the 4th title for the Cardinals, as they become the all time leader in National Championships, in Women's D3 hockey. They finish the season with a 26-2-2 record. Both losses came at the hands of Elmira who ended up with a 26-3-1 record. All 3 of their losses were to Plattsburgh. Two outstanding programs that have been great rivals over the years. Congratulations to Coach Houle and his team. They will be strong contenders next year also, as they return quite a few of their top scorers.

Offline amh63

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2015, 05:19:03 pm »
Congrats to your lady Cardinals on their National Title...again?  Amherst has not gotten to the frozen 4 since their Coach left for a Div l job.
On the other hand... See that our men' s team will not meet in the Frozen 4 next week.  Maybe next year.

Offline magicman

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2015, 09:56:07 pm »
Congrats to your lady Cardinals on their National Title...again?  Amherst has not gotten to the frozen 4 since their Coach left for a Div l job.
On the other hand... See that our men' s team will not meet in the Frozen 4 next week.  Maybe next year.

Thanks, amh63. The men took one for the women when the NCAA switched the men's home game to a road game at Trinity, since the women were hosting the Final Four. Hosting helped the women but sending the men on the road was not what we wanted to see. That's the breaks though. As you said maybe next year. Your LJ's face UW-Stevens Point and the Pointers will be looking to add another National Championship in back to back weekends. Basketball this week and hockey (maybe) next week. I will be rooting for the LJ's to uphold the honor of Eastern Hockey and prevent that from happening.