Author Topic: Daniel Webster  (Read 10846 times)

Offline hockeyfan87

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
Daniel Webster
« on: March 10, 2015, 11:36:25 am »
Does anyone have an opinion as to why DWC is having issue getting a conference affiliation? 

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Webster
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 12:52:31 pm »
Location shouldn't be a problem.  The only thing I can think is numbers.  Either conferences feel like they are full, or don't want to have an odd number of members?  This is the first I've heard they are having any issues.

Offline hockeyfan87

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 01:17:13 pm »
They petitioned the ECAC Northeast the same time as Endicott. Endicott was accepted for the 15-16 season, DWC was not.  Heard rumors that there may be some shake ups in the ECAC.

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 08:32:30 am »
They petitioned the ECAC Northeast the same time as Endicott. Endicott was accepted for the 15-16 season, DWC was not.  Heard rumors that there may be some shake ups in the ECAC.

It wouldn't stun me.  The leagues are becoming big, except for the ECAC West, which continues to not have enough membership for an automatic bid.  Don't be shocked if the restructuring gets the West the last team it needs for the auto bid.  As for Daniel Webster, the ECAC has always struck me as inclusive, so I'd be curious why they are denying DWC membership.

Offline hockeyfan87

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 10:21:24 am »
It would be interesting if all the schools looking to add DIII programs started their own conference.  It would make for a competitive conference.  The women did it by creating the ECAC Atlantic. 

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 09:47:04 am »
The seven teams in the CCC are worth keeping an eye on, too...
"It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere" - Voltaire

Offline spwood

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 12:02:33 pm »

What is the CCC?

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile

Offline hockeyfan87

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 03:04:32 pm »
Some of those schools Endicott, Western New England, Salve Regina) are in different conferences for hockey.  Will the be forced to join the CCC?  How would that affect the conferences they are in?

Offline PeterLangella

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 03:48:37 pm »

I'm actually really surprised this hasn't happened yet. As soon as Endicott announced its team, I figured the CCC hockey division would be a go for sure. They could even invite the other ECAC-NE members (Suffolk, J&W, and Becker). Or even trade one of those to the ECAC-E for UNE so the East would still have 8 D3 members.

While on the topic of realignment, I would love to see Norwich in a different situation. Their schedule right now is pretty weak. It was so much better when they were part of the interlock. Forget Lebanon Valley and NYU, maybe Norwich and Castleton should just go to the ECAC-W and solve its autobid issue while enhancing their own schedules.

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 04:41:11 pm »
Some of those schools Endicott, Western New England, Salve Regina) are in different conferences for hockey.  Will the be forced to join the CCC?  How would that affect the conferences they are in?

Many people expect the CCC schools to splinter off and start a CCC hockey league. Nothing hard on it on my end, but there's been an undercurrent of buzz about it over the past 12-18 months...especially since Endicott makes team #7 and an NCAA bid.

As to your second question...that's a good question. I imagine the ECAC would have to restructure itself in some capacity.

Offline Matthew Webb

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 05:14:29 pm »
Forget Lebanon Valley and NYU, maybe Norwich and Castleton should just go to the ECAC-W and solve its autobid issue while enhancing their own schedules.

Speaking of leagues and autobids, I suspect the ECACW isn't going to need Norwich or Castleton. And it's going to happen sooner rather than later.

Offline joecct

• Second-stringer
  • NCAA Hockey in Maryland!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 11:29:55 pm »

Many people expect the CCC schools to splinter off and start a CCC hockey league. Nothing hard on it on my end, but there's been an undercurrent of buzz about it over the past 12-18 months...especially since Endicott makes team #7 and an NCAA bid.

As to your second question...that's a good question. I imagine the ECAC would have to restructure itself in some capacity.
Remember when the MASCAC decided to form a formal ice hockey league, it took teams from the ECAC-E (Salem St.) and the ECAC-NE (everybody else) mixing MASCAC and LEC schools to get to the required 7 members for the AQ.  UNE then replaced Salem St to keep the 8 D-III teams in the conference.

A CCC formation would impact the ECAC-E (UNE) and the ECAC-NE.  Both conference cannot afford to lose members.

The orphans, after a CCC shakeout are, I believe JWU, Nichols, (and one other). 

It's going to be bloody with a lot of gnashing of teeth -- if it happens.
Clarkson College of Technology '77 & '78
2014 NCAA Women's National Collegiate Hockey Champions

Your team was KAI'd last night.

Offline hockeyfan87

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 08:07:50 am »
With everything going on, I hope all teams find a conference to play in.  Could DWC end up in the CCC?

Offline joecct

• Second-stringer
  • NCAA Hockey in Maryland!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 03:06:15 pm »
With everything going on, I hope all teams find a conference to play in.  Could DWC end up in the CCC?
Depends on if the conference bylaws allow affiliate members.

Right now DWC is a member of the New England Collegiate Conferece (NECC) along with Becker plus 8 other non hockey colleges.  They need a home pretty soon.
Clarkson College of Technology '77 & '78
2014 NCAA Women's National Collegiate Hockey Champions

Your team was KAI'd last night.