Author Topic: Basketball rules and Eligibility  (Read 7083 times)

Offline Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

• All-American
    • View Profile
Re: Eligibility
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2016, 08:00:43 pm »

It's the enrollment that starts the clock, not the calendar.  It is four years in five, but that's assuming the student is enrolled for all five of those semesters.

... which is another way of saying that chronology doesn't matter. If he's not enrolled for consecutive school years it has no effect upon his eligibility, even when he's passed the five-year point from his initial enrollment.

Sager, are there regulations for academic years?  A player couldn't just enroll every Spring and leave school every fall to play the meat of eight seasons, right?  There's got to be something to prevent that.

There's nothing to prevent that. It's common sense that nobody is going to prolong their college education to such lengths just to play a sport, particularly in a division in which said student-athlete is paying for his own education, especially since you only get to play for four seasons, anyway.

But I didn't say anything that contradicted this. I talked about being in school (which is the key here) and not playing (after having previously plated) but NOT leaving school for a semester or more. For continuing players, the former is much more common than the latter. As unfortunate as it may be, once someone leaves school, they don't often return.

Thus my mention of the "clock," which does only imply chronology... But I tried to make it clear by my description.

The fact remains that once a player uses a year of eligibility, they have a limited period of time (time being defined by semesters endorsed full time... Maybe an awkward turn of phrase but this is the NCAA we're talking amount here) to compete. And the great majority of students do this at the beginning of their college career.

I think maybe it's your use of eligibility that was throwing us off.  I get what you're saying now, and I even think you're using eligibility appropriately (in that you're describing a particular time when someone is eligible to play a sport); it's just not the way I hear it used most often (which is more about actually playing).  You are correct, once someone enrolls and classes begin, they are using their eligibility - and so long as they remain enrolled, there is a clock on long that eligibility remains.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere