Author Topic: Future College World Series Host  (Read 10782 times)

Offline cubs

• All-American
    • View Profile
Future College World Series Host
« on: October 20, 2016, 05:57:24 pm »
It was announced today that Fox Cities Stadium will no longer be host to the D3 College World Series after the 2018 Championships.

http://wbay.com/2016/10/20/ncaa-baseball-championship-to-leave-fox-cities-after-2018/

Any guesses as to who might put in a bid to host starting in 2019?
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
  • Managing Editor, D3baseball.com
    • View Profile
Re: Future College World Series Host
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 07:27:39 pm »
The last time bids were taken, Case Western and the IIAC put in bids, Case wanted Eastlake (near Cleveland) and the IIAC tabbed Cedar Rapids.

The St. Paul Saints have a nice new stadium that would be perfect for D3baseball.com staff

I think there might have been some noise about a New York site.  I expect that Salem will not want it back.

Offline ElRetornodelEspencio

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 09:14:05 pm »
A bit of a sad day IMO, and sadder still will be 2018.

While I will always believe, and IMO with significant supporting evidence, that the D3 championship belongs nowhere but Marietta, Appleton has been an outstanding home for a tournament that hadn't found one after leaving its spiritual homeland. It will be hard to find a better setup in terms of the total experience. When there was a Wisconsin team, you knew the tournament would draw really well.

St. Paul would obviously be great for the staff of this site, and for me for the time being, but I worry about whether this is too big a place for it, and if it would get pushed aside and have trouble drawing. I love CHS Field,  but I'm not sure that if a MIAC team makes it that the turnout will be like it was for Wisconsin teams in Appleton or Marietta when they were there in it there. The tournament really needs local support to make it work. There just aren't very many places where it will get it like it has in Appleton.

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 06:32:45 pm »
Why was it shifted from Marietta? (assuming Spence will know the details... I have no clue). I played in Battle Creek twice (not impressed with the venue or event) and in Salem once (played in the old stadium)... and rarely did we draw crowds of more than 3-400 (most of which were families and players of other teams in the tourney).

I'd love to see it in the Twin Cities but it's tough to get a venue for that extended time frame especially since it will not bump into the MN High School State tourney which plays there at that same time. Gophers have a nice venue but not certain they'd want to give it up in case they make a deep run themselves.

I think the NCAA is going to regret losing Appleton though it sounds like they did not have much choice. Sad day for D3 Baseball.

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 11:33:48 pm »
Why was it shifted from Marietta? (assuming Spence will know the details... I have no clue). I played in Battle Creek twice (not impressed with the venue or event) and in Salem once (played in the old stadium)... and rarely did we draw crowds of more than 3-400 (most of which were families and players of other teams in the tourney).

I'd love to see it in the Twin Cities but it's tough to get a venue for that extended time frame especially since it will not bump into the MN High School State tourney which plays there at that same time. Gophers have a nice venue but not certain they'd want to give it up in case they make a deep run themselves.

I think the NCAA is going to regret losing Appleton though it sounds like they did not have much choice. Sad day for D3 Baseball.
I agree. 

Offline Mr. Ypsi

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 01:16:38 am »
As a suggestion from 'left field' ;), how about the 'Field of Dreams' site in Iowa?  (I've never been there (though I went to a farm near Dyersville several times in my childhood, long before Field of Dreams), so have no idea if it would be appropriate.)  I would guess that immediate lodging facilities would be totally inadequate, but Dubuque is nearby, and both Cedar Rapids and Cedar Falls/Waterloo are no more than 50 miles.  According to Wikipedia, they DID host a 6,000 turnout celebrity ballgame for charity.

Just totally a shot in the dark, but the movie tie-in might make it an intriguing option.  Before we went there, who would have thought Appleton was a reasonable choice?  And for football and basketball, if you suggested Salem, I suspect almost everyone would have assumed you meant Massachusetts or Oregon. :o 

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 12:57:43 pm »
Cooperstown?  Is there any college in that part of NY who might host it?

I haven't been to Cooperstown in 20 years. Are there enough hotels?

Offline Just Bill

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 05:14:10 pm »
As a suggestion from 'left field' ;), how about the 'Field of Dreams' site in Iowa?  (I've never been there (though I went to a farm near Dyersville several times in my childhood, long before Field of Dreams), so have no idea if it would be appropriate.)  I would guess that immediate lodging facilities would be totally inadequate, but Dubuque is nearby, and both Cedar Rapids and Cedar Falls/Waterloo are no more than 50 miles.  According to Wikipedia, they DID host a 6,000 turnout celebrity ballgame for charity.

Just totally a shot in the dark, but the movie tie-in might make it an intriguing option.  Before we went there, who would have thought Appleton was a reasonable choice?  And for football and basketball, if you suggested Salem, I suspect almost everyone would have assumed you meant Massachusetts or Oregon. :o

Um, no.

"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 05:37:56 pm »
It will be tough to find a venue as many areas have amazing venues related their local D1 school but D1s could be in their own regionals/super-regionals at that time and would not want to lose their own facility as a possible host site or have to give up practice time.

You are likely looking to a minor league facility which forces them to play on the road for an extended time (which is why they had to leave Appleton in the first place).

This is really not an ideal situation for the NCAA as they should have at least had a location in mind before agreeing to leave Appleton.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Offline Mr. Ypsi

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 12:39:51 am »
How about Target Field?  Might be a bit spacious for D3, but it looks like the Twins will be effectively eliminated by the time of the D3 finals for the indefinite future!  (Sorry, Pat, couldn't resist! ;D)

Offline Mr. Ypsi

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 12:50:39 am »

Um, no.

Thanks - hadn't seen a picture of the field (and area).  I wonder how they hosted a 6,000 spectator charity game - temporary bleachers presumably, but where?  (Not that Wikipedia would ever have an error. ::))

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 07:18:26 pm »

There are varying stories on why it was moved. I'm sure some teams didn't like having to play at a home field (especially a home field for a team with a good chance of winning). I don't want to speak completely out of turn but I know that at least one other early power program's coach had a personal rivalry with Schaly (may well have been more). Marietta didn't have lights at that time (not until 1994) so that might have been a factor. In the end, I think there were probably multiple reasons. Some say that the lights were supposed to be to try to get the series back, but drawings made years before that was a factor had lights at Pioneer Park. Certainly Marietta would not host regionals without lights now, so it was still a good move.

I believe the Big Ten hosts their tournament at a pre-determined site (Minnesota won the league and had to go to Omaha last year). The only stadium I would want it to be in the Twin Cities is CHS Field. Hamline is 2nd in priority for the facility after the St. Paul Saints. Saints start in May but usually have a long road trip in June to make the field available for high school playoffs (but again, a D3 progam has priority over that, so if Hamline is the host...just saying). High school tournament games could move to US Bank Stadium, which for D3 would just look ridiculous.

One site I think should be considered if it's not is Falconi Field in Washington, PA. Seats about 3,000, opened in 2002, near Pittsburgh, but in a small enough town to not dwarf the event. W&J actually does not play there, but D2 California does.

I think it has to an independent ball or short season A facility in an area where there's some interest in D3 (like Marietta and Appleton had). Washington, PA seems to fit.

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
  • Managing Editor, D3baseball.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 11:52:22 am »
One site I think should be considered if it's not is Falconi Field in Washington, PA. Seats about 3,000, opened in 2002, near Pittsburgh, but in a small enough town to not dwarf the event. W&J actually does not play there, but D2 California does.  I think it has to an independent ball or short season A facility in an area where there's some interest in D3 (like Marietta and Appleton had). Washington, PA seems to fit.

I think that Falconi Field might work.  The press box might be a tad small but appears to be ner what one might expect for a minimum size. 

Personally I am torn from moving too far from our staff base but a more central location like Washington, Pa or Cleveland, Oh might encourage more school folks to attend.

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 05:55:38 pm »
Yeah I don't blame you; it would certainly be convenient for you folks if it was in St. Paul. But St. Thomas barely draws flies even for home games on its campus. I went to UST/Hamline at CHS Field, very good weather for early May, and there might have been 100-150 there. I just can't see it being supported.

Didn't look at the press box, honestly. Was thinking about where you can get a decent crowd that's accessible to the teams and a quality facility.

But it looks like would handle 15 or so, which is probably about the most it would need to.

Looks like they have radio booths on the sides (I'm not sure but dunno what else they would be). Usually they'd only have maybe 3 from you guys, a stringer, maybe a local paper writer, the SIDs, radio crews, and game staff. Seems like that should work. It basically has to be in the midwest or near to. Any attempts that were outside of that area were total failures (Bristol and Salem).

I think it's important to have it in a place where if you do get a good crowd, it doesn't feel like it's still empty. So not Dayton, not Columbus -- two outstanding minor league facilities, but just not right-sized.

Eastlake is about like Fox Cities, nice but pretty big for the event. Still if it's the best site that someone actually submits, it may well end up there.

Offline cubs

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 10:54:58 am »
There are varying stories on why it was moved. I'm sure some teams didn't like having to play at a home field (especially a home field for a team with a good chance of winning). I don't want to speak completely out of turn but I know that at least one other early power program's coach had a personal rivalry with Schaly (may well have been more).
Any chance you could narrow it down further from Holowaty, Flaherty, Albies, Schoenig and Lechnir?  ;D
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion