Author Topic: REGULAR SEASON: Keeper League  (Read 27572 times)

Offline Greek Tragedy

• All-American
  • I'm my dad's mini-me!
    • View Profile
REGULAR SEASON: Keeper League
« on: April 12, 2017, 08:59:41 am »
Gauging interest in a "Rookie" Keeper League.

By "rookie," I mean freshman and sophomores. There would be a one-time draft. In this draft, you can select sophomores (juniors next season) and freshman (sophomores next season).

Preliminary thought would have 2 free agency periods. One would be in December to add any freshman or sophomores that you want to play the rest of the season and then at the end of the regular season/NCAA tourney to add and drop (possibly graduating seniors) for the following season.

There will be a rule where you can drop any player, regardless of class, but you can only add a freshman or sophomore.

This will cut down on the constant adding/dropping players throughout the season and to make it feel like more of a keeper league.

As a bonus, the league will consist of the regular season AND the post season conference and NCAA tournaments.

Anyone interested in joining after the initial and only draft may do so by adding their own free agent team of freshmen and sophomores.

This is just a rough idea, so I will take suggestions into consideration.

I would love to get 8 teams. It would run something like the regular season draft league, scoring weekly, one game a week for each player (mid to end of December an exception). This would also replace the one-and-done regular season league.

Maybe since there's only one draft, some others like nescac1, Mr. Ypsi, WUH or others that don't like drafts, will join!

Smitty and 7express have shown interest so far.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Offline WUPHF

• All-American
  • In Bears I trust.
    • View Profile
Re: REGULAR SEASON: Keeper League
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 10:05:05 am »
OK, I'll join.

Offline Smitty Oom

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 02:13:50 pm »
I would for sure be more than happy to join!

One thing though, you say one draft so does that mean when your players eventually graduate you will have to rebuild your roster through FA periods? Because in Fantasy Football Dynasty Leagues at the start of the each year you can keep as many players as you want, but then for the players you do not want to keep are dropped. A draft then starts (in order from last to first place for picks) to fill out your roster, and all players not currently on rosters are eligible for being drafted.

Offline magicman

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 05:22:26 pm »
Not basketball related but I had an interesting couple of sales today. I sold 3 pieces of sheet music to WUH's favorite college. The Olin Library at Washington University, St. Louis picked up 3 very old sheets from my ebay store. They were purchased for $173.00. They have bought others from me in the past but I didn't handle the transactions, my wife did, so I wasn't aware of the fact that they went to Wash U. Glad to see them go to a library which will extend the life of these pieces even longer. One of them was titled "The Lieutenant General Grant March" and was printed in 1864 right after Lincoln  turned over command of all the armies to Grant. The other two were period pieces from the turn of the 20th century, one in 1908 and the other in 1915.   

Offline TheOsprey

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 06:32:16 pm »
I'm not participating.

Offline FCGrizzliesGrad

• All-American
  • Hoosier Hysteria
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 02:01:16 am »
In as always
Football picker extraordinaire
4 titles: NJAC
3x: CCIW, IIAC, MIAA:S
2x: NACC:S, NCAC, WIAC, Nat'l
1x: HCAC, MIAC, OAC:S, OAC:P, ODAC:S, ODAC:P
:(: ASC, MIAA:P, NACC:P, NWC, SCIAC

Basketball Dabbler
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2014 Tourney Fantasy
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2016 Tourney Draft
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem

Offline 7express

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 09:14:34 am »
I feel like I actually have a chance, so of course I'm in!
Twitter: twitter.com/maxl100
http://maxdavidlyonssports.blogspot.com/

Offline WUPHF

• All-American
  • In Bears I trust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 12:55:15 pm »
Not basketball related but I had an interesting couple of sales today. I sold 3 pieces of sheet music to WUH's favorite college. The Olin Library at Washington University, St. Louis picked up 3 very old sheets from my ebay store. They were purchased for $173.00. They have bought others from me in the past but I didn't handle the transactions, my wife did, so I wasn't aware of the fact that they went to Wash U. Glad to see them go to a library which will extend the life of these pieces even longer. One of them was titled "The Lieutenant General Grant March" and was printed in 1864 right after Lincoln  turned over command of all the armies to Grant. The other two were period pieces from the turn of the 20th century, one in 1908 and the other in 1915.   

You would hope that a world class university would support a world class library.  That is definitely the case at Washington University.

They are expanding the library and adding more exhibit space thanks to a donation from a benefactor who has a strong interest in coins and historical documents.  He donated a broadside of the Declaration of Independence.

I'll let you know if I ever see these music sheets on display.

Offline Greek Tragedy

• All-American
  • I'm my dad's mini-me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 02:49:40 pm »
I'm not participating.

Fixed it for you.  ;D  :P  :o
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Offline FCGrizzliesGrad

• All-American
  • Hoosier Hysteria
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 04:39:46 am »
Will there be a bench or redshirt designation so we can get a few players who are going to be worthless in the current season but we feel will be good in a season or two?

Basketball Dabbler
2014 Tourney Fantasy
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2016 Tourney Draft

Offline Greek Tragedy

• All-American
  • I'm my dad's mini-me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 02:33:12 pm »

One thing though, you say one draft so does that mean when your players eventually graduate you will have to rebuild your roster through FA periods? Because in Fantasy Football Dynasty Leagues at the start of the each year you can keep as many players as you want, but then for the players you do not want to keep are dropped. A draft then starts (in order from last to first place for picks) to fill out your roster, and all players not currently on rosters are eligible for being drafted.

I'm not sure if we'll do a draft. Some may want to keep 8 of 12, for example, and others may want to keep only 6 of 12. I was thinking more in the line of just free agent period or possibly a waiver period. Last place team has the 1st waiver priority, if he picks someone right away or passes, he gets moved to the bottom of the priority list and then #2 gets to pick, and possibly add the guy #1 dropped.

Will there be a bench or redshirt designation so we can get a few players who are going to be worthless in the current season but we feel will be good in a season or two?

I'm guessing not. Maybe score Top 8 of 12, instead of 10 of 12, so you basically have some bench room for guys that won't score well the 1st year. 
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Offline FCGrizzliesGrad

• All-American
  • Hoosier Hysteria
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 08:13:01 am »

I'm not sure if we'll do a draft. Some may want to keep 8 of 12, for example, and others may want to keep only 6 of 12. I was thinking more in the line of just free agent period or possibly a waiver period. Last place team has the 1st waiver priority, if he picks someone right away or passes, he gets moved to the bottom of the priority list and then #2 gets to pick, and possibly add the guy #1 dropped.

I'm guessing not. Maybe score Top 8 of 12, instead of 10 of 12, so you basically have some bench room for guys that won't score well the 1st year.
Maybe make it 10 of 15 or 12 of 16 or something... only scoring 8 seems like a small number.

I think we should have a draft each year... just draft until you're good, so first few rounds might have 8 teams, then 4th round a couple teams say they're good so there's only 6, then 5th round more drop out so there's only 2, etc... or everyone declare what players they're removing from their team then you know before the draft starts who is picking how many rounds.

Basketball Dabbler
2014 Tourney Fantasy
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2016 Tourney Draft

Offline Greek Tragedy

• All-American
  • I'm my dad's mini-me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 09:14:23 am »
I think our One and Done last year was top 8 of 10 scoring.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Offline FCGrizzliesGrad

• All-American
  • Hoosier Hysteria
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 10:11:55 am »
I think our One and Done last year was top 8 of 10 scoring.
Well we also picked different people each week so we ended up using 140 players for the season. The other draft league was 10 of 12.

Basketball Dabbler
2014 Tourney Fantasy
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2016 Tourney Draft

Offline Smitty Oom

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 09:12:42 am »

Maybe make it 10 of 15 or 12 of 16 or something... only scoring 8 seems like a small number.

I think we should have a draft each year... just draft until you're good, so first few rounds might have 8 teams, then 4th round a couple teams say they're good so there's only 6, then 5th round more drop out so there's only 2, etc... or everyone declare what players they're removing from their team then you know before the draft starts who is picking how many rounds.

FC, I think this is the best way to do it as well. I would also vote for this. A waiver period would basically be this type of draft anyways. Draft order could be opposite of how the teams finished the previous year as well.