Author Topic: 2017 D-III World Series  (Read 9891 times)

Offline AllStar

• All-Region
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 D-III World Series
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2017, 12:54:01 am »
Through Saturday, 5/27

Offline Sluggerdad

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2017, 01:33:22 pm »
Looks like Cal Lu is on something of a roll.  But one gets the feeling that Slim doesn't have many arms in the pen that he really trusts.  He bring in his closer to get the last 5 outs of a game he is leading by 9 runs.   Plus he rides his starter through a heap of trouble  (which he does get out of).

If anything stops them, it will be their pitching depth.

Offline Purple Heys

• All-American
  • Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2017, 02:05:47 pm »
If anything stops any team, it's their pitching depth. As the tournament progresses the key is to get into the opponents depth before they get into yours.  If CLU can grab the early, as they have been doing, then it takes some pressure off their pitching and increases it on the opponent to answer.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 02:13:10 pm by Purple Heys »
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2017, 02:36:20 pm »
The background discussion behind this format is that it could favor the team (read that a West Region team) with a shallow pitching staff.

Best case scenario for CLU would be to win tonight and have W&J lose today and be taken to the "If necessary" game on Monday. On Tuesday, CLU could bring back the Friday Starter for game #1 after 3 days and possibly the Saturday starter for game #2 or #3 on Wednesday.

Offline AllStar

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2017, 06:13:40 pm »
FINAL:  Roanoke 10, Concordia-Chicago 3
FINAL:  North Central (IL) 5, No. 19 UMass-Boston 4

Offline SoCalSoxFan

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2017, 06:51:09 pm »
Looks like Cal Lu is on something of a roll.  But one gets the feeling that Slim doesn't have many arms in the pen that he really trusts.  He bring in his closer to get the last 5 outs of a game he is leading by 9 runs.   Plus he rides his starter through a heap of trouble  (which he does get out of).

I interpreted his moves as trying to save his middle relief in case they need to go bullpen by committee later in tournament.   If he can go straight from Starter to Close, those 4-5 arms in middle relief are fullly rested if he needs 2-3 innings from eqch.

Last game it was 11-5 in bottom of 8th with two runners on.  My thinking is, bring in Salud ( who has the arm to go two innings every day) instead of others, who may not have bounce back resiliency that Miguel has proven to have.

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2017, 11:10:26 pm »
Pat Coleman's pitching summary comes in handy this late into the Series.

http://www.d3baseball.com/playoffs/2017/armed-for-the-world-series

Offline Sluggerdad

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2017, 11:54:06 pm »
It looks to me as though maybe Cal Lu basically has three shut-down type arms on its staff at this point  -- two starters and one reliever.  If that's right, it's very impressive that they have come this far. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 11:57:06 pm by Sluggerdad »

Offline Sluggerdad

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2017, 01:24:13 am »

I interpreted his moves as trying to save his middle relief in case they need to go bullpen by committee later in tournament.   If he can go straight from Starter to Close, those 4-5 arms in middle relief are fullly rested if he needs 2-3 innings from eqch.

Last game it was 11-5 in bottom of 8th with two runners on.  My thinking is, bring in Salud ( who has the arm to go two innings every day) instead of others, who may not have bounce back resiliency that Miguel has proven to have.

except they did the same thing tonight.  Brought in Salud to get five outs in a game they are up by 4  (1 out 2 on).   Salud immediately gives up a base hit. 

Clearly Cal Lu doesn't have enough arms in the bullpen.   Nor enough starters.  Disadvantage of being a warm weather school.  You never have to play five days in a row as many cold weather schools do because of weather. 

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2017, 01:39:36 am »
It looks to me as though maybe Cal Lu basically has three shut-down type arms on its staff at this point  -- two starters and one reliever.  If that's right, it's very impressive that they have come this far.
If Cal Lu can hold the 9th, then I guess that they pitch Saito on Monday.
That leaves Pautsch for Game 1 on Tuesday and Wehner in Game 2 if necessary.

Offline AllStar

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2017, 01:50:24 am »
Congratulations to Washington and Jefferson and Cal Lutheran.

Through Sunday, 5/28

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
  • Managing Editor, D3baseball.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2017, 11:39:12 am »

except they did the same thing tonight.  Brought in Salud to get five outs in a game they are up by 4  (1 out 2 on).   Salud immediately gives up a base hit. 

Clearly Cal Lu doesn't have enough arms in the bullpen.   Nor enough starters.  Disadvantage of being a warm weather school.  You never have to play five days in a row as many cold weather schools do because of weather.

There are not a lot of options.  When you have a staff like Cal Lu, you have to keep winning.  A three game series tips the balance towards W&J.

Offline SoCalBaseballfan

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2017, 11:47:12 am »
I like Cal Lu chances winning. I like their offense which has already scored 28 runs in 3 games.  I expect high scoring games with both teams pitching staff being taxed with so many innings
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:49:59 am by SoCalBaseballfan »

Offline Sluggerdad

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2017, 12:16:58 pm »

There are not a lot of options.  When you have a staff like Cal Lu, you have to keep winning.  A three game series tips the balance towards W&J.

So who do they start today?  Saito -- who hasn't pitched in like 6 weeks?

Offline SoCalSoxFan

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2017, 12:43:29 pm »

In Sunday's win, Troy Frazier was able to bridge between starter Roberts 4.0 and closer Salud 1.2 with a solid 3.1 innings, 2 ER outing.   I'm sure we'll see more 2-3 inning outings from the bullpen today.   
Regarding starter, if it's Trey Saito, he hasn't pitched since Robert moved into starting rotation back on April 8th, when CLU was able to have him focus on being Catcher.  If he is the Starter, CLU is in great shape if he can go 6-ish.   Today, Salud has another 2 innings in him. 
Frazier hasn't had any significant back-to-back so that's a wildcard.
Marshall Pautsch will go Tuesday with Wehner and Roberts available Wed if necessary.

Should be good baseball. 

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 02:45:33 pm by SoCalSoxFan »