Author Topic: Compelling reasons to move from D3 to D2?  (Read 7431 times)

Offline Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

• All-American
  • Broadcaster, Announcer, Analyst, and Fan!
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
Re: Compelling reasons to move from D3 to D2?
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2018, 02:07:40 pm »
FYI - a source confirms that Benedictine did officially apply for DII membership. We won't know an answer until June at the earliest from the NCAA/DII.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director, play-by-play and analyst for D3sports.com. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Offline Ron Boerger

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2018, 08:49:03 am »
UT Tyler has officially applied for DII status.

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/ut-tyler-submits-ncaa-division-ii-athletics-application/article_9cfbd9d8-0827-11e8-bfef-fb451e040960.html

“We believe investing in a strong athletics program yields returns in several key areas including student and alumni engagement, brand awareness and school spirit,” said Dr. Michael Tidwell, UT Tyler president. “Playing at the more competitive Division II level will bring additional excitement to our athletics events, as well as provide new opportunities for new scholarships.”

I just hate this attitude, because:

(1) there was and is nothing keeping them from "investing in a strong athletics program" at the D3 level.
(2) at the apparently 'less competitive Division III level' UT-T's best finish in the NACDA Directors Cup standing was a 16th three years ago, keyed by such marquee sports as golf, softball, tennis, and T&F.   UT-T always shows up big in spring sports but have had markedly less success in the fall and winter. 

They're a better fit for the all-public school Lone Star Conference than the largely private school-based ASC anyway.   Buh-bye. 

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2018, 11:13:47 am »

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/ut-tyler-submits-ncaa-division-ii-athletics-application/article_9cfbd9d8-0827-11e8-bfef-fb451e040960.html

“We believe investing in a strong athletics program yields returns in several key areas including student and alumni engagement, brand awareness and school spirit,” said Dr. Michael Tidwell, UT Tyler president. “Playing at the more competitive Division II level will bring additional excitement to our athletics events, as well as provide new opportunities for new scholarships.”

(1) there was and is nothing keeping them from "investing in a strong athletics program" at the D3 level.
(2) at the apparently 'less competitive Division III level' UT-T's best finish in the NACDA Directors Cup standing was a 16th three years ago, keyed by such marquee sports as golf, softball, tennis, and T&F.   UT-T always shows up big in spring sports but have had markedly less success in the fall and winter. 

They're a better fit for the all-public school Lone Star Conference than the largely private school-based ASC anyway.   Buh-bye.
Not to say that UTT has not been strong in the fall sports, tho'. The fall teams are always in the top half of the conference in the sports in which they compete, M&W XC, M&W Soccer, VB.

Were I assigning a "All-Sports" trophy in the ASC, UTT would probably win it more often than any other school in the last decade.

It is back to a 12-school ASC now.  I see no apparent future members at this time.

I wonder if there is a move inside UTD to change the emphasis of their intercollegiate profile now.

Offline justafan12

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2018, 01:36:22 pm »

Note that the President made those observations after being on the job a little over one year.  As I mentioned earlier it was his goal to make this move when he took the position.

It is probably a good move as I have heard rumblings that the ASC private schools may leave the ASC and form their own conference.  They have long wanted to bump UT Tyler and UT Dallas (state schools) out of the conference but could not since Sul Ross, who is a state school, was a charter member of the conference.

UT Dallas would be a prime candidate to jump ship as well.  They are very competitive in most D3 sports (basketball, softball, baseball and VB come to mind) but not sure their facilities are up to snuff.

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2018, 01:40:25 pm »
Re: UT-D

In a SWOT (Strengths Weaknesses Opportunities Threats) analysis of a potential move from D3 to D2, facilities would come up as something UTD would need to address.

Offline Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

• All-American
  • Broadcaster, Announcer, Analyst, and Fan!
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2018, 03:08:40 pm »
DII more competitive than DIII? Bull****.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director, play-by-play and analyst for D3sports.com. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.