Author Topic: Mid-Atlantic Region  (Read 43013 times)

Offline Mr.Right

• All-American
    • View Profile
Re: Mid-Atlantic Region
« Reply #420 on: April 02, 2018, 02:02:45 pm »
Seems like a great hire. Word has it the Haverford position wasnít as appealing for many reasons as one would think.

This guy will have knowledge of the conference, familiarity with coaching a strong program, and an understanding of recruiting to a stronger academic school.

Care to elaborate?

My guess is and TOTALLY A GUESS but he means MONEY.....Maybe Haverford was going on the cheap and that is why they hired such a young coach. I mean he is VERY YOUNG...Couldn't be older than 28..To me a coach should have a little more experience than what he has but hey if Haverford wasn't offering much money than the quality of candidates is naturally going to diminish. You have to ask yourself why the previous Coach wanted to leave to be a D1 Assistant at Colgate which is not exactly a soccer powerhouse. I can see when the old Stevens Head Coach left to be Ray Reid's top Lieutenant at UCONN when UCONN was a sick program and now is Navy's Head Coach. You would have to say that was a good reason to leave Stevens and go to a Top D1 School but leaving Haverford to go to Colgate is a bit strange. I am guessing Haverford did not pay very well compared to other D3 programs. Was Rineer Full Time at Haverford? Because if it was Part-Time than I understand leaving but I do not think Haverford is Part Time.

Offline midwest

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 02, 2018, 03:51:40 pm »
Another factor could be that Haverford coaches are reputed to have less "pull" in admissions than some their academic and athletic peers, presumably because of the distinctive campus culture and the importance of "fit" in admissions decisions. There is chatter that recruits in various sports who have gotten positive pre-reads and have coach support have been deferred/denied as ED applicants, presumably making it challenging for the coach to build the roster he wants.

Offline Hopkins92

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 02, 2018, 04:10:11 pm »
Thanks fellas, even if speculative, seems plausible as a combo of the pay and the pull. Very valid/good point re: the admissions office at Haverford.

Offline luckylefty

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 05, 2018, 06:26:41 am »
Both points made regarding the job are correct. Pay was rumored to be very light, and Admissions isnít providing much support. These are things I heard from a friend who is a former long time d3 coach.

I will say I think much of the reason the former Coach left Haverford is because he wanted to be a Division 1 Head Coach one day. Look at the jobs the last two Colgate Assistants and the jobs they took  Both took very good head coaching positions.

Offline darad44

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 18, 2018, 09:39:32 am »
Any updates from this past weekends scrimmages?

Offline franklyspeaking

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 18, 2018, 04:52:27 pm »
TCNJ got beat by Bucknell 4-0 but that is not a surprise.  Only surprise was that Bucknell scheduled it in the first place, what were they hoping to get out of it?  They would have been better off playing Lycoming, Bloomsburg, or Susquehnna all of which are in their area.