Author Topic: 2019 Playoffs  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
2019 Playoffs
« on: May 13, 2019, 12:21:46 pm »
The NCAA Selection show has announced the brackets for the 2019 playoffs.

The bracket is linked at Playoff Central.

https://www.d3baseball.com/playoffs/2019/2019-playoff-field

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Playoffs
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 12:35:00 pm »
There appear to be only 2 plane flights in the first round, Whitman (WA) to Chapman (CA) and Franklin (IN) to Texas Lutheran (which is 40 miles east of San Antonio).

Comparing the NCAA bracket to the mock bracket published earlier, the mock bracket created by D3baseball.com had more games between out-of-region foes.

Online Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 12:51:25 pm »
I definitely felt like we did a better job diversifying the brackets.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline ILVBB

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 05:15:42 pm »
You did a much better job! You can't forget this is the NCAA, competition comes second to putting money in their pockets! :P

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
  • Managing Editor, D3baseball.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 11:40:03 pm »

For years the NCAA has moved to diversifying brackets and this year they backslide to a more regional feel. 

Online Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 12:02:19 am »

For years the NCAA has moved to diversifying brackets and this year they backslide to a more regional feel.

It's like they didn't know the potential of the tools they had been given with the extra week of postseason.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline hockeyfan77

• All-Region
    • View Profile
    • My  Hockey League
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 12:47:57 am »

Agreed

Offline FranElia

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 12:41:05 am »

It's like they didn't know the potential of the tools they had been given with the extra week of postseason.
Don't forget, however, that with the regional/super-regional format, some pods have to be more regionalized to save on potential flights in the super regionals.

For example, last year the committee was able to send both Southern Maine and Baldwin Wallace to the New York Regional (along with Salisbury and others). Now, you can't match up the four-team pod that has Southern Maine with the four-team pod that has Baldwin Wallace, since they are 761 miles apart and you want to avoid that flight for super regionals. Instead of figuring out which seven teams can go to one site for an eight-team regional, you now have to figure out which four-team grouping doesn't create problems when matched with another four-team grouping.

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
  • Managing Editor, D3baseball.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 12:28:12 pm »
I think you set up the four team regionals giving you a better than average chance of a bus trip than a flight.  Of course Rochester is going to try to upset, best laid plans if their upset of Wooster is a trend, not an isolated incident.

Offline cubs

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 01:20:36 pm »
I think you set up the four team regionals giving you a better than average chance of a bus trip than a flight.  Of course Rochester is going to try to upset, best laid plans if their upset of Wooster is a trend, not an isolated incident.
And here come's Big Poppa's annual response to "upsets" in the playoffs in 3, 2, 1.....
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 01:28:56 pm »
And here come's Big Poppa's annual response to "upsets" in the playoffs in 3, 2, 1.....

"There is no such thing as an upset in the playoffs... every still left playing is good!" - Augie Schmidt
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Online Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 02:35:53 pm »

Don't forget, however, that with the regional/super-regional format, some pods have to be more regionalized to save on potential flights in the super regionals.

For example, last year the committee was able to send both Southern Maine and Baldwin Wallace to the New York Regional (along with Salisbury and others). Now, you can't match up the four-team pod that has Southern Maine with the four-team pod that has Baldwin Wallace, since they are 761 miles apart and you want to avoid that flight for super regionals. Instead of figuring out which seven teams can go to one site for an eight-team regional, you now have to figure out which four-team grouping doesn't create problems when matched with another four-team grouping.

But how many teams flew in the first weekend this year, compared to other years, when it has been up to six?

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 08:26:48 pm »
Interesting games on the first day.

TLU and Trinity are in the consolation bracket at Seguin.

Ithaca, Salisbury and Southern Maine lost, too.

CNU lost to Misericordia in the first of their best 3-of-5 series.

https://www.d3baseball.com/playoffs/2019/regionals-schedule?date=2019-05-17

Offline FranElia

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 10:47:44 pm »

But how many teams flew in the first weekend this year, compared to other years, when it has been up to six?
It's a good point...here are the unofficial numbers based on what I could quickly find:

Last year - flights allowed prior to World Series (regionals):  6   (5 in the West since regional was in Spokane; the other Texas-Tyler playing in Sauget, Ill.)

This year - flights allowed prior to the World Series
(regionals):  2  (Whitman to Chapman; Franklin to Texas Lutheran)
(super regionals):  2 guaranteed (Chapman winner vs. Texas Lutheran winner; Wash U winner vs. Birmingham Southern winner), plus there is a chance of a flight in the Whitewater vs. Concordia-Chicago super regional (4 of the 16 possibilities qualify - Webster (1 seed) vs. BW, St. John's or Buena Vista, and Bethany Lutheran vs. BW)

So basically:
2018:  6 flights
2019:  4 or 5 flights

So, yes, the committee probably had a little more wiggle room, but not much if you compare this year to last year. I'm not sure about years prior to 2018, so it's tough to get a really good read on this.

The eight-team & six-team regional format allowed for a lot more mixing of teams than the new format does. In 2017 Cortland and DePauw were in the same regional (at W&J). It's tougher to pull that off now. It was easier to control things in the old format. Now they can't really run the risk of having a lot of super regionals involve flights, so it's basically fear of the unknown (matchup).

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 01:29:15 am »
Fran Ella, the Mock Bracket had great mixing of the regions.

The brackets go as follows (Regions are highlighted in bold):

Rowan regional: 1. Rowan, 2. Christopher Newport, 3. Tufts, 4. Susquehanna  MA 2; S 1, NE 1
vs.
Southern Maine regional: 1. Southern Maine, 2. Trinity (Conn.), 3. Oswego State, 4. New England College  NE 3 NY 1

Trinity (Texas) regional: Trinity vs. Concordia (Texas)  W 2 No flight
vs.
Salisbury regional: 1. Salisbury, 2. Kean, 3. Salve Regina, 4. Shenandoah  MA 2 NE 1 S 1

Concordia-Chicago regional: 1. Concordia-Chicago, 2. Heidelberg, 3. UW-La Crosse, 4. Cornell  MW 2 ME 1 C 1
vs.
Webster regional: 1. Webster, 2. Adrian, 3. Texas Lutheran, 4. Buena Vista  C 2 ME 1 W 1  One flight

Cortland regional: 1. Cortland, 2. Wheaton (Mass.), 3. Keystone, 4. St. Joseph (Maine)  NY 1 NE 2 MA 1
vs.
Johns Hopkins regional: 1. Johns Hopkins, 2. Mass.-Boston, 3. Rochester, 4. Misericordia  MA 2 NE 1 NY 1

TCNJ regional: 1. TCNJ, 2. MIT, 3. Alvernia, 4. Penn State-Abington  MA 3 NE 1
vs.
Babson regional: 1. Babson, 2. Penn State-Harrisburg, 3. Ramapo, 4. Baruch  MA 2 NE 1 NY 1

Birmingham-Southern regional: Birmingham-Southern vs. LaGrange  S 2 No flight
vs.
UW-Whitewater regional: 1. UW-Whitewater, 2. Case Western Reserve, 3. St. John's, 4. Bethany Lutheran MW 3 ME 1

Chapman regional: Chapman vs. Whitman  W 2 One flight
vs.
Ithaca regional: 1. Ithaca, 2. La Roche, 3. Farmingdale State, 4. Westfield State  NY 2 MA 1 NE 1

Denison regional: 1. Denison, 2. Washington & Jefferson, 3. Aurora, 4. Franklin ME 3 C 1
vs.
Washington U. regional: 1. Washington U., 2. North Central (Ill.), 3. Hendrix, 4. Otterbein  C 2 S 1 ME 1

9 brackets had teams from 3 regions
4 brackets had teams from 2 regions.

The three 2-team pods were in-region games from among Pool A bid winners.

If the host team wins the regional, then each super-regional pits teams from different regions.

That gives the chance for strong regions to break out of the pack. We saw UT-Tyler and Texas Lutheran meet in the Finals last year.

The Official Bracket is as follows:

at Southern Maine

1. Southern Maine, 2. Oswego State, 3. MIT, 4. New England College
Regions represented: 2.

at Mass-Boston

1. Mass-Boston, 2. Wheaton (Mass.), 3. St. Joseph's (Maine), 4. Baruch

Southern Maine (NE) and Mass-Boston (NE) winners meet in super regional.

at Trinity (Conn.)

1. Babson, 2. Trinity (Conn.), 3. Salve Regina, 4. Keystone

at Cortland

1. Cortland, 2. Penn State-Harrisburg, 3. Tufts, 4. Alvernia
Regions represented: 3.

Trinity (NE) and Cortland (NY) winners meet in super regional.

at Chapman

Chapman vs. Whitman

at Texas Lutheran

1. Trinity (Texas), 2. Texas Lutheran, 3. Concordia (Texas), 4. Franklin

Chapman (W) and Texas Lutheran (w) winners meet in super regional. Plane flight

at Washington U.

1. Washington U., 2. Coe, 3. Aurora, 4. Cornell

at Birmingham-Southern

Birmingham-Southern vs. LaGrange

Washington U. (C) and Birmingham-Southern (S) winners meet in super regional. 500 miles exactly from WUStL to B-SC.

at UW-Whitewater

1. Webster, 2. UW-Whitewater, 3. North Central (Ill.), 4. Bethany Lutheran

at Concordia-Chicago

1. Concordia-Chicago, 2. Baldwin Wallace, 3. St. John's, 4. Buena Vista

UW-Whitewater (MW) and Concordia-Chicago (MW) winners meet in super regional

at Wooster

1. Wooster, 2. Case Western Reserve, 3. Otterbein, 4. Rochester

at Adrian

1. Denison, 2. Heidelberg, 3. Adrian, 4. La Roche
Regions represented: 1.

Wooster (ME) and Adrian (ME) winners meet in super regional

at Kean

1. Ithaca, 2. Kean, 3. Shenandoah, 4. Westfield State
Regions represented: 4.

at Johns Hopkins

1. TCNJ, 2. Johns Hopkins, 3. Farmingdale State, 4. Susquehanna

Kean (MA) and Johns Hopkins (MA) winners meet in super regional

at Salisbury

1. Rowan, 2. Salisbury, 3. Washington & Jefferson, 4. Penn State-Abington

at Christopher Newport

Christopher Newport vs. Misericordia
Regions represented: 2

Salisbury (S) and Christopher Newport(S) winners meet in super regional

One bracket had teams from 4 regions.
Three brackets had teams from 3 regions.
Eight brackets had teams from 2 regions.
One bracket had all 4 teams from the same region.

Among the 2-team pods, 2 matched Pool A winners from the same region. CNU (South)  hosted Misericorida (Mid-Atlantic) for the third.