Author Topic: 2019 D-III World Series  (Read 2653 times)

Offline Purple Heys

• All-American
  • Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear...
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 D-III World Series
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 07:59:56 pm »
If Chapman's starters have it going, they could be tough to beat.

What'd I say?

Thought Peck's short outing in game 2 was going to hurt them, but I was definitely wrong.  Very good pitching by Chapman and they stuck to their plan they used all year.

Peck's short outing became a blessing in disguise - it was the game they could "afford to lose".  Having lost the one, the bigger blessing was Cody Turner coming up big in relief in 3 straight games - one of which being 4 IP in relief of Collins in the morning then a crucial inning of setup in the evening game on Sunday...then closing Monday's game (sparing the use of Garcia).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 01:11:08 am by Purple Heys »
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Offline Jack Parkman

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2019, 01:41:40 am »
If Chapman's starters have it going, they could be tough to beat.

What'd I say?

Thought Peck's short outing in game 2 was going to hurt them, but I was definitely wrong.  Very good pitching by Chapman and they stuck to their plan they used all year.

Peck's short outing became a blessing in disguise - it was the game they could "afford to lose".  Having lost the one, the bigger blessing was Cody Turner coming up big in relief in 3 straight games - one of which being 4 IP in relief of Collins in the morning then a crucial inning of setup in the evening game on Sunday...then closing Monday's game (sparing the use of Garcia).

That's a good point.  Lav mentioned it as well and said getting Peck out early in that game allowed him to come back stronger today.  Collins went 3 innings on Sunday and that definitely helped him come back strong today.  I didn't realize Turner threw as much as he did but like you said, he might have been the most important arm in the series.

I guess we can squash the whole idea of the West not developing enough arms over the long season.  Four straight WS titles for the West is pretty damn impressive.  I realize the majority of d3 schools are outside the West but I hope this helps the region as a whole when it comes time for at-large bids.  I think La Verne was very deserving of a bid this year but they definitely lost out to someone in the Midwest/East but maybe teams like that will be looked at a little more in the coming years.

I love the fact that d3 finally went to the new format and I believe (please correct me if I am wrong) there will be a full 64 team tourney next year.  Some might look at the fact that two of the three regionals that had two teams made it to the final series, but the fact of the matter is they had to win three games in their regional, just like everyone else.

Speaking of two-team regionals, it sure seems like Whitman gave Chapman their toughest games throughout the post-season.

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2019, 09:14:51 am »
I read somewhere that St. Thomas is considering filing a motion to exclude the West Region from the D3 Championship Tourney.   8-)

I actually just read that the MIAC is voting today to remove all top 25 baseball teams from D3. Additionally, any team ten-running an opponent would be placed on probation, and signs must now be verbalized in order to give opponents a chance to stop them. Lastly, all errors would be required to be replayed to give the defense a second chance to make the play.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Offline Purple Heys

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2019, 10:10:59 am »
The conspiracy theorist in me says that “they” don’t want more West Region teams in the tourney, especially taking over other regions.  “They” are perfectly content having all the West Region teams isolated and eliminating each other.  The last thing “they” want is what we saw last year with 2 (gasp) West Region teams in the finals.  ;D

But at least let’s be real - the NCAA has the money to ship teams around.  They elect to not spend any on D3.

Offline Bob.Gregg

• All-Region
    • View Profile
    • WJPA Radio Sports
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2019, 12:47:43 pm »
.... it sure seems like Whitman gave Chapman their toughest games throughout the post-season.
For the record, UMass-Boston beat Chapman, and W&J could have won either/both games against the Panthers, all at the CWS, clearly part of the post-season.

UMass-Boston didn't beat Chapman again, and W&J didn't win either one.
Neither of those facts lessen the toughness of the games vs. the eventual champion.
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

Offline Ralph Turner

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2019, 06:38:47 pm »
The announcers spoke about both Chapman and B-SC coming from the "2-team" regionals.

Both teams had to win 3 games to move on.

B-SC came from a 2 game to 1  deficit over LaGrange.
Chapman walked off on Whitman in Game 5 with an unearned run in the bottom of the 9th to win 3-2.

The Best-of-five series for D-3 is still a fair way to determine a team going to the Super Regional.

Offline Jack Parkman

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2019, 10:34:55 pm »
.... it sure seems like Whitman gave Chapman their toughest games throughout the post-season.
For the record, UMass-Boston beat Chapman, and W&J could have won either/both games against the Panthers, all at the CWS, clearly part of the post-season.

Neither of those facts lessen the toughness of the games vs. the eventual champion.

Well, Bob, I stated my opinion and stand by it.  Whitman took Chapman to five games, that included Chapman coming back from down four in game one, losing games two and four, winning a pair of one-run games that included a walk-off in the 9th on a Whitman error in the deciding game.  I am fully aware that UMass-Boston beat Chapman, but W&J's "could haves" don't really mean much since they ended up being losses. I do think UMass-Boston played Chapman very close and they were in position to play for the title, but Chapman found a way to win.

And yes, I am fully aware that the CWS is part of the post-season.  I have been around for 20+ years and played in plenty of post-season games, including CWS games.

Offline BigPoppa

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Carthage Baseball
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2019, 09:33:58 am »
The Best-of-five series for D-3 is still a fair way to determine a team going to the Super Regional.

Which do you feel is tougher to win... a Best-of-Five series or a Four-team double elimination?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Online Caz Bombers

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2019, 10:26:31 am »

Which do you feel is tougher to win... a Best-of-Five series or a Four-team double elimination?

I would absolutely think the 4-team, with 6-team and 8-team tougher still...so many more variables.

Offline Jack Parkman

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2019, 12:50:35 pm »

That's a really good question.  Of the two-team regionals, one of them was a sweep in three games and the other two went all five games.  The ability to lose 2 games and still be alive (in a best of 5) probably pushes the four-team regional into the tougher status.

Offline hockeyfan77

• All-Region
    • View Profile
    • My  Hockey League
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2019, 02:22:47 pm »

Four team double elimination without a doubt in my mind: in a best of 5 you are always playing the same amount of games as your opponent: in a 4 team double elimination that won't always be the case...

Offline Purple Heys

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 04:13:16 pm »

UMass-Boston fared exactly the same (1-2) against Chapman as the Whittier Poets.  A fact that doesn't lessen the strength of the league (or Region) that produced the eventual champion.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 04:15:12 pm by Purple Heys »

Offline gbpuckfan

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 10:31:41 pm »
I looked at some box scores and didn't see attendance figures. How was attendance? Bigger or smaller crowds than Appleton?
St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
  • Managing Editor, D3baseball.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2019, 12:54:39 pm »
It did not draw the same as it did in Appleton.  I found many people I talked to who had no idea it was happening.

I never did hear attendance figures.

Offline gbpuckfan

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2019, 10:34:11 pm »
Were the tickets comparably priced to Appleton?

I don’t think there were any “local” teams there but there usually weren’t in Appleton, either. I think Oshkosh made it once, though a few UWW trips helped.
St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18