Author Topic: Ncaa  (Read 952 times)

Offline Jester1390

• Starter
    • View Profile
Ncaa
« on: April 18, 2020, 04:03:26 pm »
Sounds like Monday they are voting on winter sports getting another year.  I have seen conflicting info that itís only seniors and only d-1 players.  Personally I donít think they will be able to say only d-1. That opens them up to lawsuits the senior thing also as underclassman loss time.  I did see many coaches and league presidents said they thought they would be for it

Read the date wrong on the article I saw they had a vote
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 11:20:23 pm by Jester1390 »

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
Re: Ncaa
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 06:49:52 pm »
They absolutely could do it for D-I only. The eligibility rules are already different across divisions.

Only 3.5% or so of Division III basketball programs were unable to finish their season. I don't think it would be an easy sell at the D-III level.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Offline Roundball999

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 12:36:07 pm »
No athletic scholarships in D-III, another year of tuition and room & board, plus the opportunity cost of delaying beginning a career by a full year - for many private colleges it's a $100K or more decision to return for a 5th year if you include the opportunity cost.  Almost none of these young adults will play hoops as a career.  D-I is a different story but it makes no sense at all to me that another year of eligibility could influence a D-III student's decision to return for a 5th year. We all get wrapped up in the game but as a parent I would be concerned about creating an "incentive" to consider another year of eligibility as a factor in a huge decision to return for another year.  Even if it's for grad school and was always part of the plan, the athletes got to play almost all of this past season and best that they focus on academics, research and internships in their 5th year.

Offline Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

• All-American
  • Broadcaster, Announcer, Analyst, and Fan!
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 04:56:23 pm »
The vote Monday, if true (I can't find any news stories about this; the only meetings scheduled for Monday are DII and DIII Management Councils), would be for DI. DIII has already made a decision on this and only spring sports got the waiver. DIII reacted actually pretty quick on much of this and voted to allow the spring sports to the waiver within a week or so of the seasons (really the championships) were canceled.

Monday is the beginning of the Management Council's meetings for DIII. I don't see this on their agenda and this isn't where it would ultimately be voted on in DIII if it was something that needed to be tackled. That would President's Council which happens in about 10 days (end of the month). But again ... this was already decided on in DIII.

Too many times DI votes are considered "NCAA" when in reality ... it is just one division.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Offline Jester1390

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 11:14:48 pm »

Offline Jester1390

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 11:19:29 pm »
Pat

I agree with you unless I think you were a individual like in wrestling that had a chance to be a national championship and you were a senior and now itís gone   

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 11:42:04 pm »
From bleacher report.  Spring sports yes.  Winter no

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2884203-ncaa-grants-extra-eligibility-for-spring-athletes-excludes-winter-sports.amp.html

Just to help anyone wanting the short version: DI saying yes to spring sports and no to winter sports; it clearly reads "the NCAA Division I Council" in the opening sentence; DIII did the same basically a week or so prior to DI's announcement.

I agree with you unless I think you were a individual like in wrestling that had a chance to be a national championship and you were a senior and now itís gone   

Same goes with many team sports. Seniors getting a chance to play for a national championship. Swimmers and divers and ice hockey included. Just can't open that Pandora's box, unfortunately.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 10:12:07 pm »

It has been a few years since Division III found itself at a place where so many important decisions needed to be made along with other events needing time and attention. However, never in NCAA history have we found ourselves with winter championships cut short, no spring sports at all, and more questions than answers for what might happen with fall sports and beyond.

COVID-19 has certainly made it's mark.

However, the coronavirus isn't the only important item in front of Division III that requires attention and decisions. Expanding and realigning regions in all sports is nearing the end of a multi-year process. The NCAA's effort to revamp it's student-athlete rules with "Names, Images, Likeness" (NIL) is at critical juncture, especially in DIII. And with the shutdown of 'March Madness' brought with it a sudden budget deficit.

That's just what Division III is dealing with overall. Individual schools are fighting just to keep the doors open. That could result in cutting sports, teams, or other challenges. That could cause conferences to tackle sudden changes in membership or sports sponsorships.

And of course, student-athletes and their well-being is even more important.

Plenty to be thinking about in Division III even athletes and teams are not competing right now.

On this special Hoopsville Podcast, NCAA Vice President for Division III Dan Dutcher joins Dave McHugh for an extensive, in-depth, and detailed conversation on the "State of DIII." Dutcher talks about how the decisions to shut down winter and spring championships came to be. Plus, how COVID-19 continues to impact the division, NCAA, schools, and conferences around the country. Dutcher explains how this year's DIII budget was impacted and if there will be any impact down the road. And Dutcher discusses how NIL is taking form in DIII along with the latest on Regional Realignment and Expansion.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3apilyF

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville