Author Topic: Covid Impacts on Upcoming Season  (Read 23920 times)

Offline PlaySimple

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
Re: Covid Impacts on Upcoming Season
« Reply #240 on: July 31, 2020, 02:01:48 pm »
100% disagree with the last sentence.  Many will take a semester off so that they can return and play next fall.  Underclassmen will do the same thing.  Most of my son's teammates are planning on taking off a semester at some point, and 75% of the seniors will do so in order to compete next fall.

This is consistent with what I've heard, too, particularly among rising seniors.

A rising senior taking a semester off so that can graduate later? Pay the higher tuition that comes with that? Delay starting graduate school or starting in the workforce? I know that this is a difficult time to be starting out in the workforce but there are still a lot of unknowns. I just don't see someone taking a semester off so that they can play another season of soccer.

Offline College Soccer Observer

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 31, 2020, 05:06:13 pm »
100% disagree with the last sentence.  Many will take a semester off so that they can return and play next fall.  Underclassmen will do the same thing.  Most of my son's teammates are planning on taking off a semester at some point, and 75% of the seniors will do so in order to compete next fall.

This is consistent with what I've heard, too, particularly among rising seniors.

A rising senior taking a semester off so that can graduate later? Pay the higher tuition that comes with that? Delay starting graduate school or starting in the workforce? I know that this is a difficult time to be starting out in the workforce but there are still a lot of unknowns. I just don't see someone taking a semester off so that they can play another season of soccer.

My son's teammates are all opting to take a semester off at some point, and he plans to as well. They can work, do an internship, etc.  This is a testament to two things.  1. The culture of the program where players do not want to miss out on a season of competition with their closest friends.  2.  The alumni network is so strong that most of players are graduating with job offers in hand.  I think very few are going to suffer financially by postponing graduation because they are not going to school for an extra semester.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:51:43 am by Christan Shirk »

Offline Flying Weasel

• All-Conference
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 01, 2020, 10:38:05 am »
Given the fact that, while not common or typical, it is far from unheard of for student-athletes who suffer injuries to stay in college for an extra semester/year to use all four years of eligibility, I am surprised anyone would think that almost no one would do so because of Covid-19.  At the same time, I am surprised to hear a number like 75% doing so, and I am sure that across the board in D-III the percent will not be anywhere close to that.

This is a unique situation and I can see some logic in thinking that if ever there was a time to defer trying to enter the workforce and getting started on a career, now would be one of those times.  The finances of extending your college enrollment would rule out that option for many, but for many others that may not be the case.   

Different players and their families will have different outlooks and mindsets about "getting on with life" and they will have different options available to them due to their different financial situations and other factors.  I never played intercollegiate sports myself, but just in general with respect to life decisions, as I have gotten older, I have often thought that when I was younger that I should have been less mature in some of my life decisions and "gone for it" at times to have experiences that largely can't be had later down life's journey.  You only live once and can't go back and do it over.  You have the rest of your life to work, to pay off debt, etc.  It's a fine line and a tough balance, and I'm not advocating to be completely irresponsible.  These are tough decisions for the kids and their families.  The 20-something me would probably be saying that most players should just graduate on schedule and get a job and get on with life.  All these years later, I am much more conflicted and less opinionated on what is the right approach.

The one thing that I wonder about is whether the Fall 2021 season will be a normal one or not.  I certainly hope so, but as this pandemic extends on with much uncertainty remaining, who knows.  Not sure if that is factoring into the thought- and decision-making process for players and their families.

Offline EB2319

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: Today at 10:23:41 am »
More and more coaches we're talking to are indicating they will play some kind of season in the spring.  Not "may play", but "will play". And this is not the 15 day one scrimmage season either...