Author Topic: Covid Impacts on Fall 2020 athletics  (Read 2921 times)

Offline PlaySimple

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
Re: Covid Impacts on Fall 2020 athletics
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2020, 12:59:42 pm »
I posted the following on another forum. It is about a D2 school but it is worth posting here.

The New York Institute of Technology has announced that it is suspending athletics for at least two years. The press release specifically states "Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the costs associated with it, New York Institute of Technology will suspend all of its NCAA Division II athletics programs for at least two years." It is also stated "all athletic scholarships will be honored for New York Tech students so that they can continue with their academic programs and graduate on schedule. Currently, close to 250 student-athletes are enrolled at New York Tech."

There is more here:

https://nyitbears.com/news/2020/8/20/general-new-york-tech-to-suspend-its-ncaa-programs.aspx

I certainly hope that this is not a developing trend but many schools are going to take a long and hard look at the role of athletics and how it relates the educational experience. I have previously stated that participation in athletics or, at the very least, club sports or intramurals, is important to the complete development of an individual. That said, some schools may very well decide that athletics are best served in a club atmosphere at the school or elsewhere. Perhaps akin to what is primarily done in Europe. I am not sure that this will be the case in the near immediate future but it is entirely conceivable that many schools and universities will head that way in the future.