Author Topic: COVID19 Related Topics  (Read 889 times)

Offline Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

• All-American
  • Broadcaster, Announcer, Analyst, and Fan!
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
COVID19 Related Topics
« on: June 11, 2020, 03:44:24 pm »
So ... figured I would start this since it could be one place for everyone.

NCAA DIII has made a decision on pre-seasons for all fall sports: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/division-iii-increases-length-fall-sports-preseasons
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Offline crufootball

• All-Region
    • View Profile
Re: COVID19 Related Topics
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 04:45:16 pm »
So basically you can start practicing like normal on August 10th (or first day of class) no matter the date of your first game?

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 05:21:08 pm »
So basically you can start practicing like normal on August 10th (or first day of class) no matter the date of your first game?

That appears to be the rule for this year ... or first day of school whichever is earlier.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Offline crufootball

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 09:14:14 am »
What was the rule in prior years?

Offline Hawks88

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 11:04:06 am »
It seems like it used to be a formula that was calculated using the date of the first game and date of the first day of classes but it looks like now it's pretty much 23 days before the first game.

17.10.2.1 First Practice Date. A member institution shall not commence official preseason football practice sessions for the varsity, subvarsity or freshman team earlier than 23 days before its first scheduled contest or before the Friday after the institution's first contest if the first contest is scheduled for Thursday of the opening weekend. (Revised: 1/10/89, 1/10/91 effective 8/1/92, 1/12/04, 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06, 1/17/15 effective 8/1/15, 1/26/19 effective 8/1/19)

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/bylaw?ruleId=8111

• All-American
    • View Profile
    • Hoopsville
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 05:44:50 pm »
Yes - based on a school's first game date.

And each math is different in each sport. Football is always the earliest to come back. This just makes it easy for all sports and allows schools some flexibility.

Offline JT2

• Second-stringer
  • JT Version 2.0 - Aging Prof Alum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 01:20:39 pm »
FYI. I recently finished a 14 day quarantine, had no symptoms. I was required to have a swab up the nose COVID test ahead of a minor procedure. Day after test I was informed I was positive. Day after quarantine I went to my county's mobile COVID testing for a saliva test and tested negative. The staff members informed me that the swab test was only 70% accurate and the saliva test is 98% accurate. Some hospitals are still using the swab, I guess. I recommend seeking out a saliva test.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:48:26 pm by JT2 »
Tip - Stay young by having your first kid when you're almost 50.

If there are no dogs in Heaven when I die, I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers.

Offline Gray Fox

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 05:50:03 pm »
FYI. I recently finished a 14 day quarantine, had no symptoms. I was required to have a swab up the nose COVID test ahead of a minor procedure. Day after test I was informed I was positive. Day after quarantine I went to my county's mobile COVID testing for a saliva test and tested negative. The staff members informed me that the swab test was only 70% accurate and the saliva test is 98% accurate. Some hospitals are still using the swab, I guess. I recommend seeking out a saliva test.

https://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/2020/07/30/shira-doron-covid-19-testing-types-accuracy
Fierce When Roused