MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.B. Cooper

1/13 picks

McDaniel
G-burg
Ursinus
M-berg (there's no place like home, esp. the Mule Cave)
JHU (suspect Devils will be in this game though)

Gabriel

After my lousy predictions on 1/10, don't pay any attention to me but here are my 1/13 predictions anyway:

McDaniel -- home court
Gettysburg -- to talented not to play better
Ursinus -- don't count them out yet
Muhlenberg -- tough at home
JHU -- home court and Dickinson hasn't shown anything yet

Gabriel

Quote from: D.B. Cooper on January 10, 2009, 06:42:56 PM

More on Bears, instead of aura of invincibility there's the sense of blood in the water. They were not what they've been & the loss of one of their top experienced scorers will now have every team believing they can take them anywhere even at Collegeville. By comparison the pre-season Dips have weathered illness & injury & have found a way to win ugly. F&M will lose soon, probably in Westminster & definitely in Allentown if they were still unbeaten, plus the Fords could upset at home too.

My thoughts on D.B. Cooper's comments:

Ursinus was put on a pedestal at the beginning of the season which they did not deserve---their national ranking was based on reputation only.  They started out well going 6-1 with wins over some good teams.  They fell apart during the second half of the Randolph-Macon game.  They were cruising at half time with a seven point lead.  They lost Matt Hilton to a season ending injury in the second half and, uncharacteristically, lost their composure dealing with R-M's relentless defensive pressure in the second half.  They have not regained their composure as yet.  It did not help the team psyche  to play an outstanding Cornell team in Ithaca right after that and get blown out 99-45.  That was an unfortunate scheduling mistake.  Cornell will make the NCAA DI tournament this year as Ivy League champs and was way too good for any DIII team to face and gain anything from it.  Ursinus has a history of playing DI teams.  In recent years they have played Princeton, Bucknell and Lafayette----but nothing like the buzz saw they ran into in Ithaca.

Clearly, Hilton had assumed the role of "on-court leader" that formerly belonged to Shattuck.  Losing him turned out to be more devastating than the statistics would lead you to believe.  Will any of the Bears step up?  The leadership role should be assumed by either Noonan, Page or Cousart or all of the above.  If they don't, the Bears can start planning on next season.  If they do---they will make the playoffs and be a tough opponent.

BRCE4

Picks for 1/13
F&M ( has the athleticism to beat McDaniel on the road)
Gettysburg
Ursinus
Muhlenberg( have to start winning to have a playoff chance)
Hopkins (Dickinson has disappointed so far)
I need some wins, I'm at 500. Yuk

old ends

Player of the week is--James McNally from Franklin and Marshall. Congrats for your efforts.

Weekly release is in: http://www.centennial.org/basketball/2009/MBK_112.pdf

enjoy

old ends

D.B. , Gabriel, and Reserved  Seat... Good stuff and looks like you have done your homework. So far the weather has not let this old timer travel to any games. Have been watching the live stats, but it is not like being there.

Thanks for the info.

old ends

Stats are in:

Through games of Jan 12, 2009 (All games)

SCORING OFFENSE
## Team                     G   W-L   Pts Avg/G
--------------------------------------------
1.Franklin & Marshall. 11  11-0   905  82.3
2.Washington..........    11   4-7   821  74.6

SCORING DEFENSE
## Team                   G   Pts Avg/G
--------------------------------------
1.McDaniel............    11   662  60.2
2.Gettysburg..........  10   606  60.6
3.Muhlenberg.......... 10   619  61.9

FREE THROW PERCENTAGES
## Team                    G    FTM   FTA   Pct
---------------------------------------------
1.Johns Hopkins....... 11    204   271  .753
2.Ursinus.............      11    152   204  .745

FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGES
## Team                     G     FG   FGA   Pct
1.Franklin & Marshall. 11    340   646  .526
2.Ursinus.............       11    289   595  .486

3-POINT FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGES
## Team                     G     FG   FGA   Pct
1.Franklin & Marshall. 11     37    78  .474
2.Ursinus.............       11     74   197  .376

REBOUNDING OFFENSE
## Team                    G   Reb Avg/G
1.Muhlenberg.......... 10   415  41.5
2.Dickinson...........     9   345  38.3

REBOUNDING DEFENSE
## Team                     G   Reb Avg/G
1.Johns Hopkins.......  11   320  29.1
2.Franklin & Marshall. 11   331  30.1

SCORING
## Player-Team                 Cl  G   FG  3FG   FT  Pts Avg/G
------------------------------------------------------------
1.Tim Kohlrus-WC...........   SR 11   66   16   55  203  18.5
2.John Noonan-UC...........  SR 11   73   23   32  201  18.3
3.Kizmahr Grell-DC.........    SR  9   52   14   41  159  17.7
4.James McNally-F&M........ SO 11   74    0   43  191  17.4

View the rest here http://www.centennial.org/basketball/men/2009stats/confldrs.htm

enjoy

Reserved Seat

Old Ends,
I'm scheduled to travel to McDaniel to see F&M tomorrow.  I've been to 9 of 11 games so far.
I'm working on plans to attend Haverford on Thursday and Muhlenberg for Saturday.  I figure I've seen well over 500 F&M games since 1966(pre-Robinson).  In the late 60's any wins over 5 was a fantastic season.

old ends

RS.. trust me when they say the older you get the less risk you take.. It is true.. I know when I was younger I did not think slowing down was an option. Naps are nice and needed. Still heading to FL in Feb to do some sailing.. not as much traffic on the ocean roads.

old ends

F & M followers check D3 top 25 and smile  ;D

diplomaniac1

Folks -

The following are my selections for the 1/13 pick-ems:

F&M @ McDaniel:   F&M   (A close one due to athleticism. I think Dips 1st loss will be in Allentown in the dark shooting environment at Muhlenberg with the homer refs - a very tough place to play)

Haverford @ Gettysburg:   Gettysburg   (Bullets are the stronger team. Ford have much to prove yet)

Swarthmore @ Usinus:   Usinus   (If Bears lose at home to the Garnet, it is likely to be a very long season in Collegeville!)

Washington @ Muhlenberg:   Muhlenberg   (Home court edge to the Mules - see note on the F&M game above)

Dickinson @ Johns Hopklins:   Johns Hopkins   (Should be a very close game - the Blue Jay will fly just a little bit faster and higher)

Good luck to all! Regards,

Eric

r.w. mcnickels

1/13 picks:

McDaniel
Gettysburg
Ursinus
Muhlenberg
Johns Hopkins

Quote from: old ends on January 12, 2009, 08:03:40 PM
F & M followers check D3 top 25 and smile  ;D

Not something I would have predicted in November - congrats to the Dips.  No more flying under the radar for Robinson's surging youngsters.

Looks like Gettysburg might also climb back into the Top 25 soon.

old ends

Well this pick we all have the same 4 games pick the same the only game that is different is F & M at McDaniel. Could be fun.

old ends

Pick-ems for 1/15/09

F & M             at     Haverford
John Hopkins at  Muhlenberg
Swarthmore  at  Gettysburg
Ursinus          at  Dickinson
Washington  at  McDaniel

Make sure you Pick by tip off Thursday

Enjoy tonights games

old ends