MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otis

OK...my thoughts so far and my prediction for how they'll finish.

#1 JHU - the class of the league...they are the best team but they can be beat...anything can happen in the conference tournament

#2 Muhlenberg - they're playing pretty good ball so far and Stewart hasn't even played yet...he's argueably (sp?) the best player in the conference...if he comes back they will be a big factor...lots of experience

#3 F&M - they have had three different starting line-ups and seem to have gotten a little better each game...experienced, deep bench (10 players)... if the offense starts to kick in they could be tough

#4 Ursinus - I think there are some serious warts here that will be uncovered... lack of backcourt experience...shallow bench... they also have argueably the best player in the league in Shattuck...how far he carries them will be interesting to watch

#5 McDaniel - from the little I know about him their coach seems like he is a motivator and really knows the game...I know the least about this team but while they seem like they have some good players I think they are a year or two away...inexperienced... but hustle and good coahing can take you a long way

These are my final five to make the CC tournament...like I said anything could happen in the tournament and it wouldn't surprise me if JHU WASN'T the CC representative in the NCAA T.

Swat Fan

I think Swarthmore College needs to get rid of Head Coach Lee Wimberly!!! He has messed up that team so much this year!!! He has 2 very good big men in Ian McCormick and Stephen Wolf. McCormick is averaging close to a double-double a game (13 and 9) and Stephen is averaging about 15 and 7 a game. He can play inside and out. He has a floor leader in Chris Casey but wants to play that freshman Matt Allen more. Don't get me wrong, Matt is a very good player but he needs to learn from Casey first. He is making freshman mistakes. Matt Kurman is a very good shooter but Wimberly doesn't know how to get him open!!!!! I think the only good move he has made this year is playing the freshman Matt Turner. Turner is a very athletic presence and can play very good defense on guys like a Nick Shattuck. The biggest disappointment by Wimberly is not playing Mark Rhode or Noam Fliegelman more. Rhode is a very tough player and will bang with the Fabian and Nawrocki's of the league. It also can give Wolf and McCormick a rest. Fliegelman on the other hand is probably the best defender on the team and hustles non-stop. He doesn't look to score much but can when he is open. Hopefully Swathmore comesback from break and start winning and playing basketball and not this BS that Wimberly is doing.

Swat Fan

bluejays

If JHU runs through the CC schedule with only a loss or two but ends up losing the conference championship game what are their chances of getting an at large bid?

Terrorizer24

1.  Hopkins-- Nawrocki and Griffin are dominating the paint, and the role players of JHU are playing well too.  Nawrocki is the front runner for POY honors, but a fast paced game and a quick and athletic team could pose a threat.

2.  McDaniel-- The Terror are playing their best ball in a long long time.  The team is very quick, and plays very agressive "D".  Hasn't found a "go-to" guy quite yet, but Foelber and Brandenburg could fill that void at anytime.  Sophomore Ryan Finch could be the top 6th man in the CC.  The Terror lack a single dominant post presence and that showed in an early season loss to JHU.  The Terror could suprise everyone in the conference tourney.

3.  Ursinus--  Shattuck leads an inexperienced squad.  Lost at Home to McDaniel in OT, but should win their share of games in the conference this season.  Don't count on the guard play of the Bears teams of the past, but Shattuck has the ability to carry the bears to the CC playoffs.  Slow down, post orriented games favor the bears, as Shattuck can be more effective.  A speedy guard or wing man could pose problems against the bear defense.

Hopkins is the favorite for the title as of now, and could receive an at large bid if they falter in the tourney.  A 4 loss or less JHU team gets a bid regardless of a CC title.  Look for coach Flynn and McDaniel to get better and better each game.

Coach K

The CC board definitely gets the award for the most dead this year!!

otis

I took a close look at the schedules of all the CC teams to see what kind of non-conference opponents they had scheduled and it's interesting to note that the schedules are very solid. I'd have to give the toughest schedule award to Haverford though. Outside of Lehigh (I don't count D1 teams) they have Trinity (CT.), Wittenberg, Catholic and Hamilton on their schedule.
Those are about as solid a group of D3 programs as there are. Not even a half a cupcake. The rest of the teams all have similary difficult/easy schedules.

chizwiz

How good is Shattuck this year?  EU recruited him several years ago and he was awesome in high school.  It seems he has improved his offense even more and his depth as an overall player is improved.  Is this the case?
"If you're not a liberal at twenty, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at forty, you have no brain." - Churchill.

otis

I haven't seen him this year but based upon last year he is a very good player.
A POY candidate.

cc_fan

I saw the Ursinus / Swarthmore game and Shattuck played very well.  I give Swarthmore alot of credit.  They cameback very strong in the second half.  I can also see that Ursinus really misses McGarvey this year.  They seemed to have many unneccesary turnovers.  I am very impressed by Will Furey.  He has a great touch from beyond the arc and at the foul line.

Leo

There is no doubt that Hopkins is the best team at this time. Their seniors are playing at a game level that is several weeks ahead of all other CC teams. I believe that a couple of teams could challenge Hopkins during the later part of the season as they develop their offense/defensive game plans. It will be interesting to see how Hopkins fairs against #11 Mississippi College in a couple of weeks.

Yes, I am a Bear's fan, and the Bears will be the team to challenge Hopkins for the title. I have not seen or heard (audio game) the play of F&M and the Mules. However, if Stewart plays in the Spring, then the Mules could be there. I see McDaniel withering on the CC vine over time. They have no inside game, they are terribly outrebounded, and give up too many FTs due too their physical game plan which would cost them several games throughout the season.

I have seen most of the Bear's games, and the progress has been very encouraging and frustrating. However, this year could be Coach Small's best coaching achievement as head coach. The Bear's defense has always been tough, and will continue so. Their offense is a work in progress, and the first half against Swarthmore was very encouraging. The Bear's offense needs to do the following: (1) allow the offense to center around Will Furey for the inside/passing game, (2) develop/coach Shattuck into using his speed, penetration and jumping abilities toward the net in lieu of outside shooting, and (3) continued improvement in the play of Remy Cousart and John Noonan. Presently, Fabian needs to be more involved in the offense to support his role as a O/D rebounder. Furey, Shattuck and Fabian did a good job against Hopkins last year, and I see no reason why they cannot dominate Nawrocki and Griffin again. Hopkins may live or die from the 3 point shots from Valerio, Polster and Beggans. The Bears are the only team that can challenge Hopkins inside game.

Shattuck has the skills to be POY, but he needs to decide the type of player he wants to be this year. So far, his FG% is down from last year (55.3% vs 43.7%), FT% is down (86.4 vs 60.6%) and 3 PT% is down (37.7% vs 23.1%). While his scoring average is up from last year by 5 PPG, he is shooting 8 more FGA this year than last year. The early games were a display of Shattuck being a shooter, and that can spell disaster for the Bears. If Furey and Shattuck can feed off each other, then Fabian will improve his play greatly, and the young guards would not feel the pressure to make the outside shot. I admit it is a work in progress, and Coach Small must get them to practice, practice and practice it for them to believe in it. Otherwise, it could be a long and disappointing season. Soon, the Bears will play #14 Lawrence in Florida. I am anxious to see how they fare and respond to Coach Small.

These early games have been a feeling out/learning process for all teams except Hopkins. I believe that the Bears will be there for the CC championship game in either Baltimore or Collegeville.

GO BEARS GO

Coach K

How did Muhlenberg look against DeSales. I saw Desales pulled it out in a somewhat close game

terror fan

Gee Leo, still upset McDaniel ruined your Home Opener. I'm sure the Bears are not dwelling on it, as contrary to what you think, they have very good players, and are very well coached. They have managed to win a few Championships without your help.

As for McDaniel, (since you seem to be an expert on them after watching them once) let me help you get your facts straight. In 10 games, they have been out rebounded 4 times. That would at least take them out of the "terrible rebounding team" category. In response to one of your previous post, they do have talent. Ask some of the other teams they've played. Just because you're used to seeing them at the bottom of the standings, doesn't mean things don't change. Coach Flynn has brought new life to the program. A team can no longer see McDaniel on their schedule and pencil in two wins.

As you can tell, I'm a big McDaniel fan, as you are a Bears fan. But as long as you keep taking cheap shots at the Green Terror, because things didn't go your way, I'll continue to point out the facts. I enjoy watching Ursinus, whenever they play McDaniel. As I said before, they are a well coached team with very good players. But I'm sure the next time they play, the team that executes their Coaches game plan the best will win. It won't be because of talent level or the coaching staff blew it.

r.w. mcnickels

Quote from: Leo on December 20, 2006, 12:59:35 PM
It will be interesting to see how Hopkins fairs against #11 Mississippi College in a couple of weeks.

This sounds like Nelson's best team in a long time.  It's nice to see teams like Rowan and Mississippi on their schedule.  Nelson always seems to line up some interesting non-CC games.

Who knows what's going on in Lancaster?  It's just an entirely diminished level of basketball than what people have come to expect from the Dips over the years.  No offensive weapons, no leaders, no fire.  Could be the biggest challenge of Robinson's career, getting the program back to where it was.

It's good to see fans from McDaniel and Swat getting into it this year.

otis

Here's your answer to the problems in Lancaster...get a new coach.

otis

Top coaches in the CC:

1) Small - Ursinus

2) Mucci - Haverford

3) Flynn - McDaniel

4) Petrie - Gettysburg

5) Nelson - Hopkins