MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old ends

Picks for 2/23/08

Gettysburg -- need to keep winning to get in NCAA
Ursinus-- perfect conference season on the line- last game showed them not to let up
Hopkins--Last conference game at home--maybe?
Dickinson- they really need it, if Ursinus wins, for that final playoff spot
Haverford-- The Blue Route Special goes to the fords..

Will continue pick-em's during the playoff's

old ends

Ursinus and Gettysburg are still 1 and 2 in the regional rankings for Mid-Atlantic Region. IF Ursinus get the automatic by winning the playoff's, might not be  the only team from the conference to make it.

Regional rankings; http://ncaasports.com/basketball/mens/polls/rankings/diviii

The OWPand OOWP for Gettysburg at this point looks good, unless I am reading it wrong they are in the top 10 for regional wins, but the overall ranking for opponents winning percentage is 116 out of 396 schools. That may hurt them unless the win out including the playoff.
click here: http://www.d3hoops.com/salem/08/owp.htm

Leo

Okay, we have Dickinson, Muhlenberg and F&M fighting for 5th seed.

If Muhlenberg beats Ursinus and F&M beats Dickinson, then Muhlenberg becomes the 5th seed.

If Dickinson beats F&M and Ursinus beats Muhlenberg, then Dickinson becomes the 5th seed.

If F&M beats Dickinson, and Ursinus beats Muhlenberg, then we have a mess  ??? with all 3 teams tied. Moreover, all three teams will have the same identical record for head-to-head when it comes to the 1st tie breaker. For the 2nd tie breaker, I am confused here. Are they talking about overall record, which in this case - F&M would become the 5th seed with a record of 13-12 vs Muhlenberg at 11-14 and Dickinson at 12-12.

Is this correct, or do I need to take anothe Xanax  ::) 

sunny

Quote from: Leo on February 21, 2008, 11:20:32 PM
Okay, we have Dickinson, Muhlenberg and F&M fighting for 5th seed.

If Muhlenberg beats Ursinus and F&M beats Dickinson, then Muhlenberg becomes the 5th seed.

If Dickinson beats F&M and Ursinus beats Muhlenberg, then Dickinson becomes the 5th seed.

If F&M beats Dickinson, and Ursinus beats Muhlenberg, then we have a mess  ??? with all 3 teams tied. Moreover, all three teams will have the same identical record for head-to-head when it comes to the 1st tie breaker. For the 2nd tie breaker, I am confused here. Are they talking about overall record, which in this case - F&M would become the 5th seed with a record of 13-12 vs Muhlenberg at 11-14 and Dickinson at 12-12.

Is this correct, or do I need to take anothe Xanax  ::) 

Overall record is never used as a tie-breaker in the Centennial.

The second tie-breaker is record versus the other Centennial teams in descending order from the top of the standings. 

So, first we check Ursinus.  All three teams were swept by the Bears.  Then Gettysburg - again, all three teams swept. 

Now, it gets interesting, since Hopkins and McDaniel *could* end up tied for third, however, if Hopkins wins on Saturday they wrap up third place for themselves.  Working under that assumption, we have F&M winning the tie-breaker as they beat Hopkins once, while Dickinson & Muhlenberg were both swept by the Blue Jays.  (FYI - Muhlenberg has the best record of the three against McDaniel at 2-0, while the other two are 0-2).

If McDaniel and Hopkins were to end up tied (they split the season series) and Muhlenberg-Dickinson-F&M end up tied, I'm not sure what would happen as the McDaniel/Hopkins tie-breaker would depend on who the #5 team is, while the fifth-place tie-breaker would depend on who the third seed is.  How do you figure out either without the other?

Leo

Thanks Sunny for clarifying the 2nd tie breaker rule, and how it is applied.

Quote from: sunny on February 22, 2008, 09:03:16 AM
If McDaniel and Hopkins were to end up tied (they split the season series) and Muhlenberg-Dickinson-F&M end up tied, I'm not sure what would happen as the McDaniel/Hopkins tie-breaker would depend on who the #5 team is, while the fifth-place tie-breaker would depend on who the third seed is.  How do you figure out either without the other?

Interesting scenario if it comes to that. However, I would not like to see the "coin flip" used. What a shame for a team's fate to be determined by that. If at all possible, there should be a sudden death game for 5th seed if one of the three teams can be eliminated via the tie breaker. Just a thought.

D.B. Cooper

2/23 picks

Gettysburg
JHU
Ursinus
Dickinson
Haverford

F&Ms loss of Scovill exposed a backcourt deficiency, Dips are unable to strop treys from raining down from wide open opponents. Also only Rhyner seems to have an ability to score points from the backcourt. Devils will come back to a Mayser Center they have owned for years & clinch the 5th spot in playoffs.

Leo

My god, I love this stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunny, I think I can evolve the 3rd and 4th seedings since I now understand the 2nd tie breaker.

If Hopkins wins against Washington or McDaniel loses against Gettysburg, then Hopkins is 3rd seed. Mcdaniel is 4th seed.

If McDaniel beats Gettysburg and Hopkins loses to Washington, then there is a tie for 3rd place. Going head to head with Ursinus, Hopkins and Mcdaniel lost both games. Going head to head with Gettysburg, each split 1-1. BINGO this is where it gets interesting when Dickinson, Muhlenberg and F&M are all tied for 5th place.

In that scenario, Mcdaniel and Hopkins would be matched up against each of the 3 teams tied to see their series head to head record. In that case, Mcdaniel won two series (F&M and Dickinson) and lost Muhlenberg (0-2). Hopkins won two head to head series (Dickinson and Muhlenberg) and then was even with F&M. Therefore, Hopkins would be declared the 3rd seed.

With all this crap said, Hopkins will be the 3rd seed regardless to the outcomes on their games. 

Based on Sunny's analysis, F&M would win the tie breaker for 5th seed because they beat Hopkins once while the other two lost both.

In conclusion, Ursinus should beat Muhlenberg making the F&M and Dickson game the most important game of the year. Whoever wins between F&M and Dickinson is most likely to be the 5th seed provided Ursinus goes undefeated

I rest my care   :)

Leo

My picks for 2/23:

Ursinus
Gettysburg
Hopkins
Swarthmore (Haverford has no more heart after tough loss to Ursinus, and will mail in the loss)

F&M - yes folks, I am going the Dips route. The Dips will claim 5th seed. The battle between McNally and Leszczynski will determine the game. My bet is on McNally playing the game of his life.

Reserved Seat

PICKS

Gettysburg--want to make D3 play-offs
Ursinus--complete undefeated season
Hopkins--aid F&M's cause
Franklin and Marshall--with my heart; the horse isn't dead yet
Haverford--for pride

commish

Greetings from the home office in Lancaster.  Here is the official CC tie-breaker for men's basketball:
1) Muhlenberg victory vs. Ursinus ... Mules are the No. 5 seed
2) Ursinus win and a Dickinson victory vs. F&M ... Red Devils are the No. 5 seed
3) Ursinus win and a F&M victory vs. Dickinson ... depends on the No. 3 seed as Dips, Devils and Mules are all 8-10

a) if Hopkins defeats Washington ... Blue Jays are No. 3 seed, McDaniel No. 4
b) if Hopkins loses and Gettysburg beats McDaniel ... JHU is #3, Terror #4
c) if Hopkins loses and McDaniel wins ... Green Terror is the No. 3 seed due to best record vs. Gettysburg.  Hopkins becomes No. 4

4) if Hopkins finishes ahead of McDaniel ... and Ursinus and F&M win ... Dips are #5 seed due to 1-1 record vs. Hopkins.
5) if McDaniel finishes ahead of Hopkins ... and Ursinus and F&M win ... Mules are #5 seed due to season sweep of Terror.

see ... just push the "easy" button.  Enjoy what promises to be a great day of Centennial basketball.

old ends

Boy I am glad the Commish responded. Thanks for the info greatly needed for all of us.

Leo, I have been saying for sometime that the F & M-- Dickinson game is going to see who gets in for the final spot. Hopefully the commish does not have to spend extra hours into Saturday to figure it all out.

To all of you, may your team have a great game this final regular season event.

diplomaniac1

Folks -

Here are my picks for Saturday, 2/23-

McDaniel @ Gettysburg:   Gettysburg. Bullets win a close one to inch closer to NCAA bid.

Ursinus @ Muhlenburg:   Ursinus. Bears motivated to finish undeafeated in Conference.

Washington@ John Hopkins:   Hopkins. Blue Jays have much to gain with win. Shoremen winless on the road.

Dickinson @ Franklin And Marshall:   F&M. Toughest game to pick may yield closest contest of the weekend. Going with my heart here and the Dips advantage at Mayser Center.

Haverford @ Swarthmore:   Haverford. Mainline contest is another tough one to choose. Fords win one for Chaz in final game over Ian and the Garnet.

Well, there you have it! I have enjoyed everyone's comments and viewpoints. Let's do this again next year.

Good luck to all. Regards,

Eric

r.w. mcnickels

2/23 picks:

Ursinus
Gettysburg
Johns Hopkins
F&M
Swarthmore

Thanks to the Commish for the tiebreaker info, although I might still need some extra Advil.  We'll know what happens in a few hours, I guess...

old ends, I think we should sign you to a contract extension to be next year's pick-em organizer.

old ends

Well Gettysburg locked up a victory today 78-57 over McDaniel..Everyone got that right.

r.w. contract already signed.. wage to increase 38.672%  from $ 0.00, My wife thinks there is something wrong with my math..

old ends

Another one everybody got correct..

Ursinus 72 -- Muhlenberg 69

The one and two seeds have won..

Now it is time for F & M and Dickinson.. who gets the 5th spot??   ???