BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whatagame

Since we're on the topic of "what ifs" regarding SCIAC membership, I've often thought that Westmont College would be a great fit for the SCIAC, switching from NAIA to NCAA D3. 

Purple Heys

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on April 15, 2015, 03:32:54 PM
If you are saying that Cal Tech can have success, if they follow MIT's model I agree. But drop them as is in almost any d3 conference in the country, and they would still be near the bottom. All I am saying is you cannot use the example of them beating Drew to say they would be a midfl8ng team in other conferences, as is. The Drew win is too small a sample size.

What I am saying is that in the SCIAC (or the NWC), at their current level of athletic commitment, they have next to no chance.  I respect the effort level I witnessed over the weekend, but I think they may, in their professional career, have a better chance of detecting a Higgs boson than winning a SCIAC game.  I find that to be a pity since there are lower level conferences where they would have a better chance at winning games than detecting a Higgs boson.
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Bishopleftiesdad

Purple,
But with their current commitment I doubt they would have much of a chance in any conference. I am not disparaging the SCIAC in any way. There are very good teams in that conference. I would have a hard time agreeing that they would do better in a Lesser conference. I would have a hard time saying what a lesser conference is unless I actually see the teams in that conference play.
I am not sure how much actual recruiting Cal Tech can do. With as hard as it is to get into the school and the coaches not having TIPS, a lot of times I believe that a large part of their team is selected from students who show up to campus with out ever being seen by the coach.

The article below is about tennis, but it does describe the challenges of playing a sport at Caltech.

http://www.quora.com/What-is-it-like-to-play-in-a-Caltech-sports-team

So unless you have seen play in these lesser conferences and can truly compare, I would cation against saying that CalTech would be a middling team in another confernce.

Teddy_Ballgame

Conceding that we will collectively fail to solve the Cal Tech Conundrum (sounds like a Big Bang Theory episode, appropriately) again this year, I'm moving on to weekend picks.

PP 3-0 over Cal Tech
CLU 3-0 over Oxy
ULV 2-1 over Chapman
Whittier 2-1 over CMS
Redlands 2-1 over UPS (we should all be rooting for Redlands in this one. A sweep puts Redlands at 26-9 overall and certainly in the Pool C conversation depending on round robin and conference tournament)

Predicted standings going into Round Robin:
1. Cal Lutheran 17-7 (24-11) (head-to-head tie breaker over ULV and PP)
2. La Verne 17-7 (20-14) (head-to-head tie breaker over PP)
3. Pomona-Pitzer 17-7 (25-10)
4. Redlands 16-8 (25-10)
5. Chapman 15-9 (22-13)
6. Occidental 14-10 (19-16)
7. Whittier 8-16 (10-25)
8. CMS 4-20 (6-29)
9. Cal Tech 0-24 (2-31)         

I think at this point, Cal Lu Redlands and PP are the only teams who will have any chance at a Pool C, and the odds aren't great. While all three have a shot at reaching that impressive 30 win mark, any Pool C team will necessarily have tacked on 2 more losses in the SCIAC tournament. Further, none of those three have especially impressive non-conference resumes. We'll see how the rest of the country fares in the coming weeks.

Bishopleftiesdad

Thanks, Teddy, I agree, none of this will be solved but it will be rehashed every year.

Purple Heys

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on April 17, 2015, 03:04:19 PM
Thanks, Teddy, I agree, none of this will be solved but it will be rehashed every year.

Or at least in a number of parallel universes...or by monkeys with typewriters, or something like that.   8-)

CrashDavisD3

This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Teddy_Ballgame on April 17, 2015, 03:00:19 PM
Conceding that we will collectively fail to solve the Cal Tech Conundrum (sounds like a Big Bang Theory episode, appropriately) again this year, I'm moving on to weekend picks.

PP 3-0 over Cal Tech
CLU 3-0 over Oxy
ULV 2-1 over Chapman
Whittier 2-1 over CMS
Redlands 2-1 over UPS (we should all be rooting for Redlands in this one. A sweep puts Redlands at 26-9 overall and certainly in the Pool C conversation depending on round robin and conference tournament)

Predicted standings going into Round Robin:
1. Cal Lutheran 17-7 (24-11) (head-to-head tie breaker over ULV and PP)
2. La Verne 17-7 (20-14) (head-to-head tie breaker over PP)
3. Pomona-Pitzer 17-7 (25-10)
4. Redlands 16-8 (25-10)
5. Chapman 15-9 (22-13)
6. Occidental 14-10 (19-16)
7. Whittier 8-16 (10-25)
8. CMS 4-20 (6-29)
9. Cal Tech 0-24 (2-31)         

I think at this point, Cal Lu Redlands and PP are the only teams who will have any chance at a Pool C, and the odds aren't great. While all three have a shot at reaching that impressive 30 win mark, any Pool C team will necessarily have tacked on 2 more losses in the SCIAC tournament. Further, none of those three have especially impressive non-conference resumes. We'll see how the rest of the country fares in the coming weeks.

Many 30 win teams have stayed home in the West over the years.  SCIAC potential Pool C is penalized by playing Cal Tech, CMS and Whitter this year. SOS is hurt and Pool C bid may not be achievable. Round 1 of the playoffs is the SCIAC conference. Win it to move on or expect to stay home
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

Purple Heys

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: SoCalSoxFan on April 12, 2015, 02:35:04 AM
Redlands can only move higher prior to Round robin, as those ahead of them are certain to lose.
PP, play Cal Tech, should finish 17-7.

Early predictions
LV 2-1 against Chapman
CLU 3-0 against Oxy
PP 3-0 against Cal Tech
Whittier 3-0 against CMS

Predicted Standings prior to Round Robin:

CLU 17-7  or 16-8 if they only take 2 against Oxy
LV 17-7    or 16-8 if Chapman ends up taking 2
PP 17-7
Redlands 16-8
Chapman 15-9   or 16-8 of Chapman ends up taking 2
Oxy 14-10    or 15-9 if CLU only takes 2
Whittier 9-15
CMS 3-21
Cal Tech 0-24
Congrats CMS on taking 2 of 3 against Whittier.  I was accurate in all of my other picks except that series.

CLU 17-7
LV 17-7
PP 17-7
Redlands 16-8
Chapman 15-9
Oxy 14-10
Whittier 7-17
CMS 5-19
Cal Tech 0-24

Picks for upcoming round robin will be coming once I review round robin schedules.  It's exciting for SCIAC that 6 teams have a chance to make SCIAC playoffs.

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on March 09, 2015, 03:30:20 PM
So far it looks like Cal Lu and Pomona is fighting it out for the 1 spot

Middle of La Verne., Occidental, Redlands and Chapman

The bottom of Whittier, CMS, and Cal Tech.

My prediction is Cal Lu will be the Pool A bid team from the SCIAC

Pomona/La Verne will fight for a Pool C bids

Rest of the SCIAC will be at home at the BBQ during May.

http://thesciac.org/sports/bsb/index

Crash:   your early March post is looking very accurate.

Jack Parkman

Round-Robin Schedule

4/22
CLU@CMS
La Verne@Caltech
Pomona@Whittier

4/25
Caltech@Redlands
La Verne@Redlands

Whittier@Chapman
Pomona@Chapman

CMS@OXY
CLU@OXY

4/26
Chapman@CLU
Caltech@CLU

OXY@La Verne
Whittier@La Venre

Redlands@Pomona
CMS@Pomona

4/28
Chapman@Caltech
OXY@Whittier
Redlands@CMS

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Jack Parkman on April 19, 2015, 12:49:15 PM
Round-Robin Schedule

4/22
CLU@CMS                          CLU
La Verne@Caltech               LV
Pomona@Whittier                PP

4/25
Caltech@Redlands               Redlands
La Verne@Redlands             Redlands in a tossup

Whittier@Chapman              Chapman
Pomona@Chapman              Chapman

CMS@OXY                           Oxy
CLU@OXY                            CLU

4/26
Chapman@CLU                    CLU
Caltech@CLU                       CLU

OXY@La Verne                     LV
Whittier@La Venre                LV

Redlands@Pomona               PP in a tossup 
CMS@Pomona                      PP

4/28
Chapman@Caltech                Chapman
OXY@Whittier                       Oxy
Redlands@CMS                     Redlands

CLU 4-0           21-7
LV 3-1             20-8
PP 3-1             20-8
Redlands 3-1    19-9
Chapman 3-1   18-10
Oxy 2-2           16-12
Whittier 0-4       7-21
CMS  0-4           5-23
Caltech   0-4      0-28

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: SoCalSoxFan on March 06, 2015, 10:18:17 AM

Last year LV made top 4 with 15-13 in SCIAC; I think this years #4 will need 11 or less losses to go through, just like 2013.
2014:  3 teams with 13-14 losses, only one made Conf tournament
2013:  4 teams 11-13 losses, only the two 11 loss teams made Conf Tournament

Earlier in the year I opined that teams would need 11 or less losses to go through, just like 2013.
With 5 teams with 7-9 losses, I don't think double digit losses will be good enough.  I think Chapman needs to sweep and root for LV and PP to beat Redlands to get into the Conference tourney.  Looking forward to seeing how this all turns out.

Jack Parkman

If Redlands does get in, it's going to be a tough first game for whoever they play as Minjarez has been pretty lights out this year.