BB: Pitcher of the Year Candidates

Started by Jim Dixon, November 07, 2007, 03:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Blow

Quote from: LightsOutLidge on January 19, 2009, 02:18:29 AM
I agree.

Speaking of dominant lefties. Has anyone heard of Marco Simmons?

A Marco Simmons pitched against Wheaton (MA) last spring in Arizona and lost to Adam Gingras. Early season game, but as I recall Simmons had some control problems and when he did come over the plate was hit fairly well giving up 5 or 6 runs. Probably the first time out, so not going to kill the kid.

DIII Dad

You are right Red Blow. They did face each other last year in Arizona. Both struggled a bit and got no decision for the game. Chad Kasik picked up the win for Wheaton.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: OshDude on January 19, 2009, 04:01:14 AM
Besides the preseason AA guys, there are plenty of candidates for postseason AA pitcher and Pitcher of the Year. Yes, that includes some guy from JHU.

Great list.   I want to name ten more for preseason All-American.   Wait - too late.  Moving on The D3baseball.com preseason poll to be released in just 3 days.  D3baseball.com regional previews starting on 23 Jan.

OshDude

Quote from: Jim Dixon on January 20, 2009, 01:39:23 AM
Besides the preseason AA guys, there are plenty of candidates for postseason AA pitcher and Pitcher of the Year. Yes, that includes some guy from JHU.

Great list.   I want to name ten more for preseason All-American.   Wait - too late.  Moving on The D3baseball.com preseason poll to be released in just 3 days.  D3baseball.com regional previews starting on 23 Jan.

I took the work out of looking up their stats. If anyone's interested, go back a page and click the links.

Ralph Turner

Moved to today's postings... (The links should be valid.  Thanks Oshdude and +1!   :)  )

Besides the preseason AA guys, there are plenty of candidates for postseason AA pitcher and Pitcher of the Year. Yes, that includes some guy from JHU. Here are some of my favorite AA candidates not named to the preseason teams. Go ahead and peruse their stats. Some more than others, but all of these guys could be worthy. Hyping a guy in mid-January, with all of these candidates (and probably several more), is awesome. Add the nine preseason AA pitchers to the ones below and try to pick nine "locks" right now let alone the best.

D3baseball.com All-Americans
Wayde Kitchens, Chapman
Blake Booher, Tyler
Jeremiah Bayer, Trinity (Conn.)
Adam Gingras, Wheaton (Mass.)
Matt Tone, Cortland
Jeremy Rubens, Oshkosh
Steve Matre, Mount St. Joseph
Peter Burg, St. Scholastica
Eric Willey, Salisbury

The "others"
Brett Holland, Tyler
Evan Bronson, Trinity (TX)
Garrett Dorn, Linfield
Aaron Dott, Whitewater
Brent Kulavic, IL Wesleyan (if he pitches this year)
Joe Devlin, Lynchburg
Chuck Nicholas, Alvernia
Robert Bleeker, Pacific Lutheran
Ben Moore, NC Wesleyan
TJ Knowlton, Marietta
Dustin Herbert, Salisbury
Joe Bartlinski, Kean
Keegan Leckrone, Wabash
James Murrey, Macalester
David Koerbel, PS-Behrend
Matt Aronson, IL Wesleyan
Chez Angeloni, Johns Hopkins
Zeb Engle, Ursinus
Byron Mendenhall, Randolph-Macon
Gary Bulman, VA Wesleyan
Tony Evanko, John Carroll
John Lunardi, Susquehanna
Josh Tedesco, Thiel
Dan Delia, Suffolk
Mark Miller, Wooster
Brandon Aich, Kean
Matt Schuld, St. Thomas
Jeff Feigl, Salisbury
Derek Eitel, Rose-Hulman
Colin Warner, Wesley
Adam Kohls, Luther
Spencer Shelton, Piedmont
Andy Lowe, Heidelberg
Blair Veenema, Rochester
Robert Whitenack, Old Westbury
Dan Benz, Williams
Billy Schmitt, Wartburg
Adian Kummet, St. Scholastica
Michael Park, Rochester
Todd Mathison, St. Olaf
Ben McCracken, Pitt-Bradford
Everett Thomas, Heidelberg
Anthony Trapuzzano, Wooster
Brian Hurld, Roger Williams
Matt Kudlik, Concordia Chicago
Chris Sandini, Wentworth
Chris Stoudt, Alvernia
Nate Pocock, Calvin
Ian Poole, Wash & Jeff
Trevin Hillesheim, St. Norbert
Jared Sass, Simpson
Jason Pizzoferrato, Western New England
Andrew Aizenstadt, Babson
Kyle Cousins, Calvin
Matt Ryckman, Emory
Peter Steiner, Calvin
and ... Andrew Martin, Thomas (Where did he go? Didn't see him on the TC roster, but he had good numbers)

theoneandonly

Baseball players get to every base.

baseballbaseball

oshdude,   thanks for the pitcher of the year stats and list, good work and looks like you took alot of time. Have alot of heads turning and making fans want to see the season start.

Oshdude,  if you had to rank the top 5 out of every region who would you put and where?

Also who are your darkhorses or sleepers this year that havent been recognized as pre-season or post season all americans that you honestly think will open some eyes that havnt before

OshDude

Quote from: baseballbaseball on January 21, 2009, 10:45:59 AM
oshdude,   thanks for the pitcher of the year stats and list, good work and looks like you took alot of time. Have alot of heads turning and making fans want to see the season start.

Oshdude,  if you had to rank the top 5 out of every region who would you put and where?

Also who are your darkhorses or sleepers this year that havent been recognized as pre-season or post season all americans that you honestly think will open some eyes that havnt before
For me the top contender who has never been named AA is LHP Aaron Dott (Whitewater).  I say that having seen him throw since covering HS baseball for a Wisconsin newspaper. Other than players like Dott who I have seen many, many times, I think anyone from my above list has a legit shot. Why not, you know? James Murrey (Macalester), Adian Kummet (St. Scholastica) and Todd Mathison (St. Olaf) are a few more Midwest guys I'm familiar with who have a good shot. Not much of an expert to give possible breakouts from other regions.

As for the other regions, like I'm assuming it is for everyone else, I base my opinions on stats and the occassional trusted message board author. The only time I ever get to see teams from other regions is at every World Series, which is about 15 miles from my house. I've seen all but three Appleton WS games since 2000, but even that isn't much experience with other regions. For example I thought Adrian's Alex Webster was one of the five or so best SPs I saw last year, regardless of region. If you look at his stats, they're not AA-caliber. But I like lists, so I'll make some. Just know that in some cases I have never even seen these dudes pitch. Folks from other regions (or even the MW/C), feel free to correct my lists.

Midwest
1. Jeremy Rubens, Oshkosh
2. Aaron Dott, Whitewater
3. Peter Burg, St. Scholastica
4. James Murrey, Macalester
5. Adian Kummet, St. Scholastica

Central
1. Brent Kulavic, IL Wesleyan (if he throws)
2. Adam Kohls, Luther
3. Matt Aronson, IL Wesleyan
4. Billy Schmitt, Wartburg
5. Trevin Hillesheim, St. Norbert

West
1. Wayde Kitchens, Chapman
2. Blake Booher, Tyler
3. Brett Holland, Tyler
4. Evan Bronson, Trinity (TX)
5. Garrett Dorn, Linfield

Mideast
1. Steve Matre, Mount St. Joseph
2. Keegan Leckrone, Wabash
3. Josh Tedesco, Thiel
4. Derek Eitel, Rose-Hulman
5. Andy Lowe, Heidelberg

New York
1. Matt Tone, Cortland
2. Blair Veenema, Rochester
3. Michael Park, Rochester
4. Nicolas Blanco, Cortland
5. Robert Whitenack, Old Westbury

New England
1. Adam Gingras, Wheaton (Mass.)
2. Jeremiah Bayer, Trinity (Conn.)
3. Dan Delia, Suffolk
4. Dan Benz, Williams
5. Andrew Aizenstadt, Roger Williams

Mid-Atlantic
1. Joe Bartlinski, Kean
2. Chuck Nicholas, Alvernia
3. Chez Angeloni, Johns Hopkins
4. Ben McCracken, Pitt-Bradford
5. Brandon Aich, Kean

South
1. Eric Willey, Salisbury
2. Joe Devlin, Lynchburg
3. Dustin Herbert, Salisbury
4. Gary Bulman, VA Wesleyan
5. Byron Mendenhall, Randolph-Macon

BigPoppa

I have confirmation from IWU that Brent Kulavic is out for the season. Still, a very solid list. Nice work!

I suggest placing Carthage's Chris Krepline on the Central list as he is a former all-region pitcher who is returning from an injury, but appears to be 100% healthy.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Ralph Turner

Oshdude, I like the five pitchers that you have listed from the West.  +1!

OshDude

Quote from: BigPoppa on January 22, 2009, 09:48:06 AM

I have confirmation from IWU that Brent Kulavic is out for the season. Still, a very solid list. Nice work!

I suggest placing Carthage's Chris Krepline on the Central list as he is a former all-region pitcher who is returning from an injury, but appears to be 100% healthy.
Good point. He's fun to watch. If he's healthy and does what he has in the past, Krepline would make my postseason top 5.

OshDude

Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 22, 2009, 10:51:20 AM
Oshdude, I like the five pitchers that you have listed from the West.  +1!
Pretty sure the West collectively has the best top 5.

A.G.

Looks like Osh nailed the South pretty good.

OshDude

Disclaimer: I'll leave my NE 5 as it is for potential ridicule later, but I find it hard to believe I didn't put Shawn Gilblair on there. Just wanted to throw that out there.