BB: Pitcher of the Year Candidates

Started by Jim Dixon, November 07, 2007, 03:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 28, 2007, 04:46:28 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on November 28, 2007, 12:26:40 PM

That's 8 CCIW conference games in 8 days... pitching depth will certainly get tested here. Actually, the entire CCIW schedule of 21 games is played in only 36 days. One bad week can certainly keep a team out of the post-season.

It does build depth in the pitching staff.  Short-term challenge with big implications for long-term success.

This thread is quickly getting off topic but nevertheless my comment.

The schedule is the same for everyone.  This is one reason it is so important to give each conference an automatic bid.

Bob Maxwell

DGilblair,

The SUNYAC played both games 9 innings 2 years ago, but changed back to a 9 and a 7 last year.  Not sure why... but its what they did before teh 2005 experiment.

And looks like there is a conference that does change the lenght of games if the first one goes extra innings.  That is interesting that they do that... my opnion would be that if they do that, they should only if the first game goes at least 9 innings... so you don't end up with an 8 and a 7 as was mentioned by KYGrizzly is a possibility.

Isn't there something in the D-III baseball (I won't say rules...) but guidelines that says for a game to count it must be 9 innings?  unless its a doulbe header then one can be 7 innings?  Just seems like I recall something like that...

I'm problably mixing up a couple of things... but thought I would ask.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Bob Maxwell on November 29, 2007, 02:32:34 PM
Isn't there something in the D-III baseball (I won't say rules...) but guidelines that says for a game to count it must be 9 innings?  unless its a doulbe header then one can be 7 innings?  Just seems like I recall something like that...

I'm problably mixing up a couple of things... but thought I would ask.

I also remember that for a game to count it must be 9 innings.  I expect that this was put into action for the 2005 season and then retracted for the 2006 season.  This explains why the SUNY schools were "experimenting".

Of course depending on what I remember does not insure any accuracy of my statement.

rjburke

Bob and Jim are right:
              NCAA Baseball Rules (2007) --
                        Sec. 8 a - Regulation game is 9 innings
                                8 a 3 - except scheduled doubleheaders
                         Sec 7 c- doubleheaders can be two 9s, one 9 and one 7, or two 7s

Jim is right; this is way off topic and should be a seperate thread.

BoomerIL

Well, since I brought up the question about 7 and 9 inning doubleheaders regarding pitching rotation setup by a coach, I would like to discuss anyones thoughts about how coaches decide who pitches, and when.

I know all of us can pretty much guess how a coach is going to run his staff just based upon who his #1 and #2 pitchers are.  I still just want to know why a coach starts his #1 for a 7 inning game instead of the 9?  I'm just interested in knowing what a coach is thinking, or why he is thinking this way.  There are many of you that have coached at the higher levels, I'm just interested in the thought process.  It helps me to be a better observer and fan, that's all!!
"You observe alot by watching"  -  Yogi Berra

BigPoppa

Quote from: BoomerIL on November 29, 2007, 08:31:46 PM
Well, since I brought up the question about 7 and 9 inning doubleheaders regarding pitching rotation setup by a coach, I would like to discuss anyones thoughts about how coaches decide who pitches, and when.

I still just want to know why a coach starts his #1 for a 7 inning game instead of the 9? 

By starting your #1 guy (presumably your best) you have a better chance to finish the game with your top arm as it is a seven inning game.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Bob Maxwell

Thanks Jim and RJ... at least I know I wasn't halucinating...  ;D

Back on the Pitcher of the year dicsussion... 

Spence

Quote from: BigPoppa on November 30, 2007, 12:19:04 PM
Quote from: BoomerIL on November 29, 2007, 08:31:46 PM

I still just want to know why a coach starts his #1 for a 7 inning game instead of the 9? 

By starting your #1 guy (presumably your best) you have a better chance to finish the game with your top arm as it is a seven inning game.

I don't think that's it. A team who is overmatched is going to throw its ace in the shorter game because they have more of a chance to beat a team for 7 innings than nine. The exception would be if your ace is also a position player, in which case you'd obviously want to go with him in game 2 of a doubleheader.

I wish the OAC was still 7/9.

BoomerIL

BigPoppa......Spence......

O.K., so you have figured it as I have, that pitching your #1 in the 7 inning game could be more or less an easier possibility for a win.  What I mean by that is, that one of the two teams, probably the weaker of the two, would be putting more pressure on itself to create run scoring situations.  I then think that the #1 pitcher on the better team has maybe the edge between the two pitchers, maybe not.

Then you have to consider the play of your fielders.  As I'm sure we all have, seen better teams lose because of fielding mistakes, etc., etc.  I also believe that a more successful team based upon past history and reputation, does have a slight advantage going into any series.

I know my observations are probably nothing new to anyone,  ???, I just wanted to see if there was an serious rational to my thoughts.   ::)  It does though still make me wonder if all of the Pitcher-Of-The-Year candidates were getting their wins in the 7 inning game or the 9.  Would that have any bearing on a pitchers stats?  I don't know.  I do agree with your answers BigPoppa and Spence!! 
"You observe alot by watching"  -  Yogi Berra

BigPoppa

Quote from: Spence on December 02, 2007, 09:46:23 PM

I don't think that's it. A team who is overmatched is going to throw its ace in the shorter game because they have more of a chance to beat a team for 7 innings than nine. The exception would be if your ace is also a position player, in which case you'd obviously want to go with him in game 2 of a doubleheader.

I would never throw a position player in game #2. You want your starting pitchers as fresh as possible, so throwing him game #1 is in your best interest as he will not be tired from playing a full game already.

Many schools throw their position player/pitcher on a non-DH day. It makes sense as a Tuesday game offers a chance to pitch while a weekend DH offers the chance to play BOTH games without worrying about pitching.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Spence

Quote from: BoomerIL on December 03, 2007, 12:42:07 AM
BigPoppa......Spence......

O.K., so you have figured it as I have, that pitching your #1 in the 7 inning game could be more or less an easier possibility for a win.  What I mean by that is, that one of the two teams, probably the weaker of the two, would be putting more pressure on itself to create run scoring situations.  I then think that the #1 pitcher on the better team has maybe the edge between the two pitchers, maybe not.

Then you have to consider the play of your fielders.  As I'm sure we all have, seen better teams lose because of fielding mistakes, etc., etc.  I also believe that a more successful team based upon past history and reputation, does have a slight advantage going into any series.

I know my observations are probably nothing new to anyone,  ???, I just wanted to see if there was an serious rational to my thoughts.   ::)  It does though still make me wonder if all of the Pitcher-Of-The-Year candidates were getting their wins in the 7 inning game or the 9.  Would that have any bearing on a pitchers stats?  I don't know.  I do agree with your answers BigPoppa and Spence!! 

Thanks. When the OAC was 7/9 and before some of the teams had built to where they are now, it seemed like 80% of the conference losses Marietta had were 1-0 games in the early game, frequently involving the plate being about a yard wide. One day in Berea stands out in particular.

BaseballFan

Quote from: Jim Dixon on November 09, 2007, 06:18:36 PM
Any one wanting to try to rank these pitchers in the Midwest Region?

non seniors from the 2007 Midwest regional all american list:

Brad Collignon , Illinois College
Dan Leslie, University of St. Thomas (MN)
Todd Mathison, St. Olaf College (MN)
Lonnie Robinson , University of St. Thomas (MN)
Brandon Hemstead, University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
Tony Jandron, St. Norbert College (WI)
Adian Kummet, College of St. Scholastica (MN)
T.J. Nelson, St. John's University (MN)

1. Todd Mathison Olaf---if healthy
2. Adian Kummet Scholastica
3. Brandon Hemstead  Point
4. Dan Leslie Thomas
5. TJ Nelson St Johns
6. Tony Jandron Norbert
7. Lonnie Robinson Thomas
8. Brad Collignon Illinois college ---could be higher dont know how good he is

VJC Baseball

nobody has chimed in on the south...here's my best shot.  I am partial as one of my players is named FYI:

Kenny Moreland, Christopher Newport
Chase Townsend , Mary Washington
Wade Keenan, Villa Julie
Ryan Bennick, Salisbury
Ahmed Shelton, Averett
Robert Flanagan, Rhodes
Andy Holt, Rhodes

We'll play CNU, UMW 3 times, Salisbury 3 times, I'll let you know who's better after that! We don't play Averett or Rhodes...

historymajor

Don't overlook Trinity's Srs...  Brian Oates, Drew Bignall, and Ryan Poffenroth!

Spence

Quote from: VJC Baseball on December 25, 2007, 06:56:10 PM
nobody has chimed in on the south...here's my best shot.  I am partial as one of my players is named FYI:

Kenny Moreland, Christopher Newport
Chase Townsend , Mary Washington
Wade Keenan, Villa Julie
Ryan Bennick, Salisbury
Ahmed Shelton, Averett
Robert Flanagan, Rhodes
Andy Holt, Rhodes

We'll play CNU, UMW 3 times, Salisbury 3 times, I'll let you know who's better after that! We don't play Averett or Rhodes...

Is the #2 from CNU (name escapes me) coming back? They looked like a really strong team last year until he went down.