BB: Candidates for All-American Teams

Started by Jim Dixon, April 04, 2008, 10:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dixon

With the D-III stats now available on the web (see the NCAA Stats tab under News on the left rail at d3baseball.com),  I am starting to think who is not just having a great start but with (in some cases) 30 games in, who is having a great season.

I listed the six players I saw the most often going through the stats in the latest D3says poll but almost half think I am missing someone.

Who do you think is putting together an All-American season?

infielddad

Jim,
I'd sure have to say these two from Trinity, Tx fit any definition or description that might be used after 30 games:

Player               

Evan Jones..........  .452  31-30   124  41  56  19   3   6  57   99  .798  14   6  13   2  .528   0   0   3-4    240  14   2  .992

Pitcher               
Evan Bronson........  1.95   5-2    11   6   2   1/1    3  50.2  42  13  11  10  62   6   0   2  178  .236    6   3   0    0   2

A.G.

Ronnie LaBrie of Lynchburg is putting together a great season:
.434 BA; .522 OBP; .770 SLG; 14 2B; 3 3B; 6 HR (3 of those in a HUGE home ball park); 42 R; 33 RBI; 22-24 SB.

Jim Dixon

I have not really looked at pitchers as much yet.  The lack of any player who stood out from Trinity (Conn) must mean that they have to have some good pitching.

I also noticed that it is not inconceivable that they could run the table.  Eastern Conn and Amherst are about the best competition they have left.

EnFuego

Last years South Regional MVP and World Series All tournament team member Frank Pfister, and Pre Season All-American and last years Gold Glove winner Joe Roth both are having exceptional seasons.  Their stats are listed below:
                             avg                                   2b      hr  rbi                     
5 Roth, Joe........  .422  27-27   102  25  43   9   0   2  33   58  .569  26   3  11   0  .529   5   0   7-11    47  81   3  .977 (Fld %)
                              avg                                   2b       hr  rbi
2 Pfister, Frank...  .403  27-27   119  29  48  13   0   6  42   79  .664  10   2   6   1  .444   4   0   7-8     24  82   7  .938 (fld %)

EnFuego

Sorry, the format of the statistics didn't come out very well:

avg  2b  hr  rbi    fld %
(Second  Base) Joe Roth           .422  9   2   33   .977

(3rd Base) Frank Pfister            .403 13  6   42   .938

Old Man

Jim

"I have not really looked at pitchers as much yet.  The lack of any player who stood out from Trinity (Conn) must mean that they have to have some good pitching.

I also noticed that it is not inconceivable that they could run the table.  Eastern Conn and Amherst are about the best competition they have left."

+++++ I agree.... with the ???? schedule that Trinity has played so far and what they have left they could end the season at 40-0.  ( has this ever been done before?)  that would be an incredible season.  Can they get 40 in with the weather in the NE?  Will be an interesting next 3 weeks.

NCWC

Quote from: A.G. on April 04, 2008, 01:07:29 PM
.434 BA; .522 OBP; .770 SLG; 14 2B; 3 3B; 6 HR (in a HUGE home ball park); 42 R; 33 RBI; 22-24 SB.

I was thinking all 6 of those HR's came at Lynchburg, if they were he would have my vote.  I saw three came on the road.  Regardless, 6 home runs at this point in the season is alot and probably will gain some respect for Lynchburg program across the nation.  That field plays bigger than its dimensions.

Anybody heard anymore on Kivett from Methodist?
16 USA South/ Dixie Conference titles, 12 Regional titles, 2  World Series titles

Just_Some_Guy

KIVETT, Seth........  .368  avg, 32 runs, 5 2Bs, 10 HR, 32 RBI, .667 SLG, .493 OBP

JSG

Just_Some_Guy

Man, I'm brutal lately. I'm going to start doing everything in word from now on and pasting it when I'm finished. I just accidentally clicked off of this page and erased a list of about 20 names in the West region worth of a mention (including all of the statistical evidence as rationale).

Anyway, I won't get back to all of it tonight, but here's some names and I'll try and come through with some stats later and edit the post - we'll call it a work in progress:

(Note: This first group of hitters/pitchers/utility should cover all of the teams and all of the players that are truly all-american candidates. The next group of 'other notables' features some players that could end the year on the first list, and are currently putting up very solid numbers. They'll tend to be from contending teams and teams I'm more familiar with -- you'll see an abundance of ASC players -- granted part of that is that it's like two full conferences it's so big.)

Hitters:
Drew Hedman (Pomona Pitzer) - my pick for nat'l POTY if it was today
Mike Vass (Chapman)
Michael Olsen (Puget Sound)
Anthony Cappelletti (Whitter)
Evan Jones (Trinity)
Matt Hendryx (Pacific)
Scott Marcus (La Verne)
LaMonte Toney (CalStEB)
Tom Fogerty (UDallas)
Cory Briggs (Ozarks)
Kendall Fox (UT Tyler)
Derek David (McMurry)
Adam Froeschl (UMHB)
Joesph Villegas (UMHB)
Clay Baker (UT Tyler)
Tom Williams (Concordia)

Pitchers:/
Wayde Kitchens (Chapman) - IF he logs enough innings to warrant it at the end of the year. He definitely deserves a mention though.
Evan Bronson (Trinity)
Brian Clark (Linfield)
David Colvin (Pomona Pitzer)
Blake Booher (UT Tyler)
Brett Holland (UT Tyler)
Kyle Barton (Hardin Simmons)
Cody Curry (McMurry)
Mark Cox (UT Dallas)
Curt Dixon (Ozarks)

Utility:
Kurt Yacko (Chapman)
Bruce Cameron (Ozarks)

----------------------------------------

Other Notables:
Hitters:
Ryan Fobert (George Fox)
Zach Gantenbein (Pacific)
Brian Schumaker (Redlands)
Matt Goldstein (Redlands)
Javier Arrieta (Sul Ross)
Stephen Yurchick (McMurry)
Taylor Zambreski (Howard Payne)
Paige Hodges (Mississippi College)
Wayne Pimpton (Hardin Simmons)
David Roux (La College)
Marcus Volz (UMHB)
Andrew White (UMHB)
Brent Vorhees (McMurry)
Robby Finnell (Ozarks)
John Glenn (Ozarks)
Jared Smith (UT Dallas)
Chris Biguenet (UT Dallas)
Kyle Harvey (Texas Lutheran)
Nick Cmerek (Concordia)

Pitchers:
Reese McCulley (Linfield)
Garrett Dorn (Linfield)
Nolan Nicholson (Redlands)
Grant Wheatley (La Verne)
Brian Oates (Trinity)
Josh Alcorn (Hardin Simmons)
RB Garza (UMHB)
Jonathan Russell (Mississippi College)
Todd Koch (Ozarks)
Beau Zeigler (UT Tyler)
Robert Conley (Texas Lutheran)

Again, hopefully I can get some accompanying stats soon, but it's been a busy season at work lately, and I still would like to get a solid update to JSG's West Region rankings.

JSG

Ralph Turner

Quote from: NCWC on April 04, 2008, 09:56:33 PM
Quote from: A.G. on April 04, 2008, 01:07:29 PM
.434 BA; .522 OBP; .770 SLG; 14 2B; 3 3B; 6 HR (in a HUGE home ball park); 42 R; 33 RBI; 22-24 SB.

I was thinking all 6 of those HR's came at Lynchburg, if they were he would have my vote.  I saw three came on the road.  Regardless, 6 home runs at this point in the season is alot and probably will gain some respect for Lynchburg program across the nation.  That field plays bigger than its dimensions.

Anybody heard anymore on Kivett from Methodist?
I can understand the home runs being low in a small park.  I guess the key to his power is the 14 2B and 3 3B.  Also the 22-24 on SB is good.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on April 05, 2008, 12:03:32 AM

Hitters:
Drew Hedman (Pomona Pitzer) - my pick for nat'l POTY if it was today

JSG

I wondered how I did not see Drew Hedmen's name my initial look at the stats.  It was clear when they listed Hedman with 13 games played.  Apparently the stats listed as current at 30 March is only as good as the reporting.  Thus Hedman is shown with 5 HR not the 8 he has hit sine early March.

A.G.

Two seniors from Lynchburg College are having outstanding seasons...
Ronnie LaBrie and Jon Crews of LC are 1-2 in the latest STATSTUD rankings.  This is a pretty cool website which tracks all the players in all level of college ball.
http://www.statstud.com/index.php

Unfortunately for LaBrie...Trae Bailey of CNU is batting .486 and is also a SS...so LaBrie may not even make 1st team all region in the South.

Soph 3B/OF Jeff Taylor is also batting .435 with 34 RBI and 19 SB for LC...but also plays in the same region with Kivett at Methodist, who has 10 HR but less RBI's for the Monarchs.

mideastfan2

^^^^ if both SS are that solid, they'll find a way to have them both on the first team.  I've seen all-regional teams before with 3 thirdbasemen, and I've seen some with 2 catchers, and so on. 

I don't think there is any criteria which states a polayer from each position must be on the team.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: mideastfan2 on April 10, 2008, 05:56:59 PM
^^^^ if both SS are that solid, they'll find a way to have them both on the first team.  I've seen all-regional teams before with 3 third basemen, and I've seen some with 2 catchers, and so on. 

I don't think there is any criteria which states a player from each position must be on the team.
The attempt by Pat Coleman on the D3football/hoops/baseball.com web sites is to have a functional team.

Three 3B's is not functional.  Middle infielders may be interchangeable.  A known C-3B or a 1B-P may have some flexibility.  He even considers a Utility player who has demonstrated that ability such as Chapman's Kurt Yacko.

Pat tries to make the All-Star Teams look like a real team.