2021 Playoffs

Started by Ralph Turner, May 24, 2021, 04:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Ralph Turner

What I like about this field is that the 5 West Region teams were dispersed to 3 regionals.

The West Region has been outstanding in the last few years:  2013 champ - Linfield; 2016 champ - Trinity; 2017 champ - Cal Lutheran; 2018 champ UT- Tyler ,ow D-2; 2018 runner-up Texas Lutheran; 2019 Champ - Chapman.

I also like the first round game of Trinity and Chapman.

Chapman is my Dark Horse to win it all.

ronk

Ralph,
How does the bracketing go in a regional? Ryan offered a layout that doesn't seem reasonable for a seeded tourney: instead of byes in the 1st round for the top 2 seeds, he has 1 vs 6, 2 vs 5, and 3 vs 4 with the winner of 1/6 playing the winner of the losers 2/5-3/4 in their next round.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: ronk on May 24, 2021, 06:00:18 PM
Ralph,
How does the bracketing go in a regional? Ryan offered a layout that doesn't seem reasonable for a seeded tourney: instead of byes in the 1st round for the top 2 seeds, he has 1 vs 6, 2 vs 5, and 3 vs 4 with the winner of 1/6 playing the winner of the losers 2/5-3/4 in their next round.
Hi Ronk,

The NCAA has used a standard 6-team bracket for as long as I can remember (~20 years).

Here it is on Page 9 of this year's Championship Handbook.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/baseball/d3/2020-21D3MBA_PreChampsManual.pdf

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 24, 2021, 06:31:29 PM
Ralph,
Hi Ronk,

The NCAA has used a standard 6-team bracket for as long as I can remember (~20 years).

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/baseball/d3/2020-21D3MBA_PreChampsManual.pdf

IMHO, the #1 seed gets the 2 weakest teams for the 1st 2 games.
#2 seed gets the next weakest 2 teams.
#3 and #4 are in the middle.

ronk

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 24, 2021, 06:32:44 PM
Ralph,
Hi Ronk,

Thanks, it's my(Scranton's) 1st experience in the baseball tourney; I should have checked the handbook.
  Theoretically, #1 gets the 3rd weakest(#4 seed) in the 2nd game, not the 2nd weakest.
  Separately, with a strategy viewpoint, in a 4-day tourney with no starter likely to pitch more than once, do you hold your ace for the 2nd game to go up against the opponent's #2 pitcher to give your team a better chance of winning a round and advancing to the next?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: ronk on May 24, 2021, 07:07:23 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 24, 2021, 06:32:44 PM
Ralph,
Hi Ronk,

Thanks, it's my(Scranton's) 1st experience in the baseball tourney; I should have checked the handbook.
  Theoretically, #1 gets the 3rd weakest(#4 seed) in the 2nd game, not the 2nd weakest.
  Separately, with a strategy viewpoint, in a 4-day tourney with no starter likely to pitch more than once, do you hold your ace for the 2nd game to go up against the opponent's #2 pitcher to give your team a better chance of winning a round and advancing to the next?

Because the 2nd weakest (#5 seed) will have already lost in the first round.

I really really (did you understand that I said really?) do not like a 7-team bracket.  Having to use one less pitcher is too much of an advantage!

If there were an odd number of teams allocated to the sport for the biennium, I would rather go with a 6-team bracket one year and an 8-team bracket the next than 2 years of 7-team brackets.

Bob.Gregg

Ralph,
Hi Ronk,

There's actually a different bracket in use because the one listed in the Handbook does NOT have anywhere for Game 5 LOSER (if the 1-0 team loses)....

THIS link to the actual 2021 Regionals explains what happens after Games 1-6:

https://www.ncaa.com/_flysystem/public-s3/files/DIII%20Baseball%20Brackets%20-%20COVID_Regionals_6_Team%20-%202021.pdf

Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

ronk

Quote from: Bob.Gregg on May 26, 2021, 11:53:44 AM
Ralph,
Hi Ronk,

There's actually a different bracket in use because the one listed in the Handbook does NOT have anywhere for Game 5 LOSER (if the 1-0 team loses)....

THIS link to the actual 2021 Regionals explains what happens after Games 1-6:

https://www.ncaa.com/_flysystem/public-s3/files/DIII%20Baseball%20Brackets%20-%20COVID_Regionals_6_Team%20-%202021.pdf

Thanks for the additional info. This is fair in  the sense that everyone plays once on each of the first 2 days, but I still prefer a normal-seeded tourney with, in a 6-team bracket, byes in the 1st round for the top 2 seeds.

ronk

Appear to have delayed MN regional from 11AM to 3 PM according to videostream link.

BigPoppa

Quote from: ronk on May 27, 2021, 12:18:08 PM
Appear to have delayed MN regional from 11AM to 3 PM according to videostream link.
It is an UGLY day here in MN... 45 degrees and rain all day... I don't see how ANY games happen in MN today.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: ronk on May 27, 2021, 12:18:08 PM

Both MN regionals delayed until tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/d3photography/status/1397992920553246725

Ralph Turner

Preparing the "2-and-BBQ" roster...

DATES/SITES/SEEDINGS:
Thursday – Sunday, May 27-30

Auburn, New York Region Hosted by Wells College

1. Eastern Connecticut State

Collegeville, Minnesota Region Hosted by Saint John's University (Minnesota)

3. York (Pennsylvania)
6. Scranton

Decatur, Illinois Region Hosted by Millikin University

4. Millikin
6. Illinois College

Hartford, Connecticut Region Hosted by Trinity College (Connecticut)

5. Husson

High Point, North Carolina Region Hosted by Greensboro College and High Point Downtown Stadium Foundation

3. LaGrange
6. Marymount (Virginia)

Marietta, Ohio Region Hosted by Marietta College

4. St. John Fisher
5. Rochester

St. Paul, Minnesota Region Hosted by University of Northwestern-St. Paul

1. Trinity (Texas)

Whitewater, Wisconsin Region Hosted by University of Wisconsin-Whitewater

5. Luther

Ralph Turner

Four of the Regionals go to the 5-team bracket.

Ralph Turner

Round 3 -- Teams in bold that were eliminated with 1-2 records.

Auburn, New York Region Hosted by Wells College

3. Keystone College

Collegeville, Minnesota Region Hosted by Saint John's University (Minnesota)

2. UT-Dallas

Decatur, Illinois Region Hosted by Millikin University

5. Transylvania

Hartford, Connecticut Region Hosted by Trinity College (Connecticut)

2. Oswego State
6. Johnson & Wales (Providence)

High Point, North Carolina Region Hosted by Greensboro College and High Point Downtown Stadium Foundation

2. Washington & Jefferson

Marietta, Ohio Region Hosted by Marietta College

3. North Carolina Wesleyan

St. Paul, Minnesota Region Hosted by University of Northwestern-St. Paul

2. Aurora
5. Saint Mary's (Minnesota)

Whitewater, Wisconsin Region Hosted by University of Wisconsin-Whitewater

4. Penn State Harrisburg
5. Luther