Liberty League

Started by Saint of Old, August 12, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deutschfan

Really nice win for SLU.  Bit scary in second half with ball settled at Cortland forward's feet six yards out and only the goalie to beat but the keeper instinctually went the right way and an easy near post finish is turned into a game saver.  Vassar's defense will always keep them in the mix (I think I've already said that).  Saturday game between Vassar and RIT is huge.  Although Saint didn't have Vassar making the playoffs it will be a true test for both teams.  How Hobart whacks Rochester and then lays an egg against RIT is beyond me but that is why you play the game. 

Saint of Old

RPI trailing TCNJ at home
Skidmore, still with just 1 loss beating Ramapo at home 2-0.
The more games you watch the more unpredictable the league becomes.
That RIT win over Hobart might just be a sign of things to come and proof that this league will just beat each other up.
Is it too late to switch our top 6 picks?

deutschfan

In the words of Carole King, it's too late baby.  I am really curious why Gaudiano is not playing for RPI.  Such a shame if it is one of those freakish pre-season injuries that cost a player a year or sometimes even more.  RPI could really use him.  He had such a phenomenal freshman year.

Saint of Old

Quote from: Saint of Old on August 31, 2022, 09:25:01 PM
I am not putting too much confidence in RIT because they had an overseas trip.
I think the bonding and playing against unorthodox competition can help a team, but can also be overblown.

I rate them highly because I think it just might be their time.
SLU have their history
Vassar has had some great years, Clinton and his RPI boys just had a memorable year to go with a few more.
Hobart was flying high a few years back and might be again,  but RIT never seem to have had that run.
Always playing well, but under achieving since the inception of the LL that is.

They are also playing on the Coach DOUG MAY field this year.
For those that dont know, Doug May is the GOAT the GOATS think is the GOAT.
Had an a major impact on RIT/Nazareth and many coaches plying their trade over the past few decades. A true icon.

Those boys will be playing with an extra fire this season and are returning some ballers.
I too have them finishing #1.

#2 is very tough. I think that RPI gets the nod due to who they are returning
SLU is in at #3 as they are defending champs and really could have been 2 as well.
Hobart will finish #4 and surprise a few people along the way. Ithaca at 5 but could win the tourney as well and Skidmore 6.

This will be an interesting season and as we have seen last year anyone who makes the tournament has a shot at dancing.
Well, since I cannot change my predictions, I will be holding on strong and make excuses until all the above teams are mathematically eliminated from top 6.  Clarkson might make us all look bad, they have played 6 games and conceded 0 goals, but they have to do it in the league and in the LL you can take many Ls if you are not careful. Big weekend for RPI,RIT and SLU. All the alphabet teams will be pushed very hard this weekend.

deutschfan

Predictions for today's games:
Vassar 0, RIT 0
SLU 3, Union 1
RPI 1, Bard 0
Skidmore 2, Hobart 1
Clarkson 1, Ithaca 0

Vassar/RIT is a tossup. If RPI loses season is effectively over. Clarkson brings best defense against worst offense. Hobart's bad twin returns.

deutschfan

Vassar made RIT look terrible. So many balls to nowhere by RIT.

stlawus

Vassar completely owning RIT was not on my bingo card to say the least.  Vassar has pretty good home field advantage with that nice grass field though, much different beast than turf. 

RPI took care of business, albeit with 2 penalties but a W is a W.

Clarkson probably a bit disappointed with their result but they record their 7th shut out. 

Skidmore got punched in the mouth early by Hobart but still got a result. 

The Dutchman stays hot for SLU and notches his 6th goal in the last minute to take down Union. 

Saint of Old

St.Lawrence 1 Union 0

The Dutchman sinks the Dutchmen

Is it just me?

Saint of Old

It took 8 games into the season, but someone finally scored on Clarkson.

stlawus

Vassar all alone in 1st after dispatching Bard. 

Clarkson finally goes down.  Skidmore having a pretty nice go of it so far.  Only one loss to a pretty good team.

SLU played pretty poorly but still got a result.  I wonder if the RPI student section will now think twice about heckling a player that proceeds to tie the game up a minute later.    SLU has to be happy to finally get back home.   Almost all road games on turf takes a toll.

Feels like anyone can beat anyone.  Going to be an exciting October.

OldNed

Quote from: stlawus on September 28, 2022, 09:11:38 PM
Vassar all alone in 1st after dispatching Bard. 

Clarkson finally goes down.  Skidmore having a pretty nice go of it so far.  Only one loss to a pretty good team.

SLU played pretty poorly but still got a result.  I wonder if the RPI student section will now think twice about heckling a player that proceeds to tie the game up a minute later.    SLU has to be happy to finally get back home.   Almost all road games on turf takes a toll.

Feels like anyone can beat anyone.  Going to be an exciting October.

Yeah, student section was a bit rough at times.  Even the RPI sideline guy had to admonish them for going over the line with one of their rants.

I was at the St. Lawrence/Union game and at RPI last night and I thought the SLU offence was much better with Max Mogul in the mix, but they do seem to have some defensive lapses.  Curious as to why they have Marvin Sibanda playing mostly on defense - anyone have any insight?  It looks like he has a cast or other type of covering on his arm, so perhaps that factors into the mix?

Saint of Old

Saint Maxima definitely makes us stronger in attack.
Sibanda plays point guard not defense or mid. Last night much more defensive correct. He is a player who can step when necessary though. I think injuries forcing some adjustments at the moment, but big teams don't have that excuse. Squad should be able to cover.

stlawus

Mogul is a difference maker, but he's still making his way back from an injury he picked up against Potsdam.  There are still quite a few injuries including one of the CBs, but like Saint said good teams have depth and adapt and overcome.  SLU is vulnerable to counter attacks like the one they conceded on the 2nd goal because they play their outside backs pretty high so a well placed pass in transition can be devastating. 

stlawus

Vassar keeps taking care of business to remain alone at the top.

Skidmore gets another statement win with a late game winner @ RPI, this Thoroughbred team is dangerous. 

Clarkson with yet another 1-0 victory, the Golden Knights are for real. 

SLU gets their depth tested against Ithaca but pull out the 1-0 victory.  I can see how Ithaca has allowed so few goals despite their record, they defended very well. 

Wednesday will be one of the most high profile and high stake games between SLU and Clarkson in recent history.   Game is big enough that I managed to get Stlawus Senior off the golf course that day to head to Sandy MacAllaster instead.

deutschfan

League appears wide open except for a few stragglers.  Vassar has great defense and a balanced attack with Keker playing the 9 (transformed from a defender when first recruited--love that), and Fauth as a 10 with a great engine.  Vassar is still a question mark because their three league wins include two of the weakest teams in the league, and RIT, who on that day was the weakest team in the league.  RIT needs to spend a couple weeks just on keeping possession off a throw.  SLU's record is by the skin of their teeth including this weekend's own goal win against Ithaca (unfortunately for Ithaca it doesn't count in their team goal scoring column or they would be up to 4 goals in 8 games--Ithaca is in the running for fewest goals in a season by a LL team), and a last minute win against bottom tier Union.  I agree Skidmore has shown best given its competition so far and how the games between SLU, Vassar, and Skidmore play out will likely decide the regular season champion.  Clarkson has not demonstrated the offensive punch that I think is necessary to win the league.  However, looking at the scores this Saturday no team is playing like an offensive juggernaut so maybe Clarkson can average a goal a game and win it.