WBB: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BedtimeForBonzo, March 12, 2005, 12:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TroyP

Does anyone know if Trinity's 2021-22 schedule is out yet? I see several other schools have theirs posted. Thanks

Riley Zayas

I haven't seen it come out. The only part of Trinity's schedule I can confirm is their annual tournament, which will feature UMHB and be held Nov. 5-6 in San Antonio.

https://truetothecru.com/2021/04/20/umhb-womens-basketball-to-play-in-trinitys-tournament-in-november/
Proverbs 21:31. D3hoops.com WBB Top 25 voter. On the UMHB beat as the managing editor of TrueToTheCru.com, covering everything in CRU athletics. Read my blog, The Scoop on D3 Women's Hoops. Find it on the D3hoops.com Daily Dose.

Ron Boerger

Mel Dixon has stepped down after 47 years in the coaching ranks, the last 9 at Texas Lutheran including 2 SCAC Tournament championships:  https://scacsports.com/sports/wbkb/2021-22/releases/dixon_retires

TLU assistant Troy Patterson replaces Dixon:  https://tlubulldogs.com/sports/wbkb/2021-22/releases/20211012tz1o9d

Ron Boerger

Quote from: TroyP on August 03, 2021, 09:40:25 PM
Does anyone know if Trinity's 2021-22 schedule is out yet? I see several other schools have theirs posted. Thanks

Trinity's schedule is now up (not sure when it was posted):   https://www.trinitytigers.com/sports/wbkb/2021-22/schedule - though it has Trinity playing at UMHB on Nov 5 vs. ETBU and against UMHB on Nov 6th; UMHB's site says they play Trinity in Belton on the 5th so there's something wrong with one of the two.   Doesn't look like Trinity is hosting a tournament this season; going to Pacific OR for a couple of games the week before Thanksgiving. 

jekelish

Quote from: Ron Boerger on October 13, 2021, 12:55:03 PM
Mel Dixon has stepped down after 47 years in the coaching ranks, the last 9 at Texas Lutheran including 2 SCAC Tournament championships:  https://scacsports.com/sports/wbkb/2021-22/releases/dixon_retires

TLU assistant Troy Patterson replaces Dixon:  https://tlubulldogs.com/sports/wbkb/2021-22/releases/20211012tz1o9d

Congrats to Mel on a great career... really good dude, from my limited interactions with him!

jekelish

Preseason top 25 is out, and Austin College has a challenging November, to say the least. Three of their first five opponents are ranked in the top 15 (in order of when they play: #15 UTD, #4 Whitman, #2 ETBU), as well as Rhodes, who is receiving votes. Lots of chances to make a statement for the 'Roos in November.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: jekelish on October 18, 2021, 06:15:23 PM
Preseason top 25 is out, and Austin College has a challenging November, to say the least. Three of their first five opponents are ranked in the top 15 (in order of when they play: #15 UTD, #4 Whitman, #2 ETBU), as well as Rhodes, who is receiving votes. Lots of chances to make a statement for the 'Roos in November.

Have to say that I'm a bit surprised at the SCAC's lack of presence in the poll - didn't expect top 10 but nobody in top 25 is a surprise.  Trinity lost three to graduation but only two saw much playing time, of which Jordan Rudd, who was first team all-SCAC and conference DPOY, the most significant loss.  Everyone else is back from last year's team with the exception of a player who never set foot on the court.  Colorado lost two, the big one being SCAC POTY McKenzee Gertz, but they too return everyone from last year's young team and have a boatload of new talent that will make its presence known as the season progresses if last year is any indication.  I guess Austin suffered the most, losing all-SCAC performers Reagan Chiaverini and Ally Longaker along with several other seniors though all-SCAC Kacie West is returning for a super senior year.

Trinity's first game is against ETBU (at the UMHB tournament), RV UMHB is next, then #14 HSU; three lesser opponents (McMurry and a weekend tournament in Oregon) followed by nearly a month off.   The next game after the break is the conference opener in Sherman on Dec 17. 

It's going to be interesting to see what the coaches' poll says when it comes out next month.  Can Dallas continue their upward momentum?   How does TLU fare without the calming presence of Mel Dixon?  Does Southwestern come back from the wilderness after four years of declining performance, or do the Pirates look for a new coach if this year is as disastrous as last year's 2-7?  And what about Schreiner, St. Thomas, and Centenary?

jekelish

Quote from: Ron Boerger on October 18, 2021, 08:22:00 PM
I guess Austin suffered the most, losing all-SCAC performers Reagan Chiaverini and Ally Longaker along with several other seniors though all-SCAC Kacie West is returning for a super senior year.

The 'Roos also get Natalie McCoy, the SCAC Tourney MVP two years ago, back for her senior year after she missed all of last season due to injury. They've also got a D2 transfer coming into the mix from Southeastern Oklahoma, who should certainly help. It'll be finding some rebounding to replace Chiaverini and Longaker where the 'Roos might end up struggling the most, I think.

TroyP

Jordan Rudd is actually playing at UT Dallas as a graduate transfer.
Centenary had a coaching change too. Emily Daniel's will be a loss for Trinity, she started all but one game for Trinity the last three years. Trinity last year switched a bunch of girls in and out of the lineup, but the starting 5 will all have had plenty of meaningful productive minutes.

Ron Boerger

That's a tough break for Trinity and the schools in the region not named UT-Dallas.  The Comets were already one of the best programs in the region and getting a defensive stopper like Jordan (who I don't fault for taking advantage of the opportunity to continue her studies while playing at a top program) will only make them that much better.   Thanks for the update and +k.

Ron Boerger

Not really a surprise but there are no SCAC women on the D3hoops.com pre-season All-America squad.   Here's hoping that someone steps up and is named to the team when the end of the season rolls around.

Ron Boerger

Trinity picked to win the SCAC (with 8 of 9 first place votes), Colorado College a consensus 2nd, Austin College a consensus 3rd. 

Trinity (RV) gets an early chance to see what it will take to be competitive on the national scene as they open tomorrow night against #2 ETBU at the UMHB tournament.  The schedule is pretty challenging early with eight straight away games.  In addition to ETBU and UMHB (RV) this weekend, they go to #14 HSU next weekend, have a weekend in Oregon, then open SCAC play at Austin after nearly a month off.   They finally get to play five straight at home starting December 28, but it doesn't look like they're hosting a tournament this year. 

Ron Boerger

Trinity took #2 ETBU to OT before falling 76-70.   Was not able to watch the game, unfortunately, but that's a promising start to the new season.

ronk

Watched some of the 2nd half; Trinity had the ball in the last 30 secs w the score tied and 2 more secs on the game clock than the shot clock. Maggie Shipley got the ball at the top of the key, drove in the lane and was called for an offensive foul w 12 secs on game clock. She had an open jumper before that drive but running more time off the clock was in order.

TroyP

Trinity had a 10 point lead early in the 2nd qtr. Got called for at least 7 charges on the offensive side of things. Julia Akerman the only 5th yr Senior is out with hand injury that required surgery. Very competitive and balanced scoring for Trinity overall. Believe we have at least 4 girls maybe 5 in double figures.