MBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Sul Ross Lobos, February 26, 2005, 03:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

Lambert with 17.  Tu 40-32,  2:10

Ron Boerger

Trinity up at half, 46-35, behind some mad three point shooting.  Nobody in foul trouble either way.

Ron Boerger

UMHB gets a couple of threes and again playing tighter D, close to 51-45 and have possession w/15:48 left

Ralph Turner

Quote from: (509)Rat on March 02, 2012, 08:23:15 PM
Best guard play Whitworth has seen defensively. And it's not even close. 21 turnovers, 15 of which were steals! Unreal. Perez was big off the bench. Just couldn't get shots to fall from long range. GL in DII

EDIT: Just heard Whitworth outrebounded McMurry. Don't know how that happened, a ton of offensive boards and second chance shots absolutely killed Whitworth for most of the game.
Thanks for the kind words (509)Rat.  Whitworth was the best fundamental team that we saw all year. They remind me of UT-Dallas except 3 inches taller per man.

The game played out as the chess game that I thought.  Knight versus queen... I thought that we had a chance to snatch the momentum when we got to 78-74. we had one last series of chances that must be executed without fail. Whitworth missed a FT (79-74)  and we brought the ball down with a chance for Isler or someone to hit a 3FG.  (We had picked up the pace, and I thought that I saw Whitworth beginning to feel the pressure at the end of a long fast-paced game.)  We bounced the ball off the foot with about 2;15 left, and I thought that the game changed at that point.  Whitworth would put the game away from that point.

Congratulations and safe travels. I hope that your brought your golf clubs. The weather should be good tomorrow.

Ron Boerger

UMHB winning the battle of the boards, threes not falling for Trinity and Cru lead, 61-59, 5:50 left

Ron Boerger

looks like it may come down to the wire.  UMHB 65 TU 64 3:35.  Lambert with 4 fouls for TU, #11 has 4 for Cru.

CUAfan

Quote from: (509)Rat on March 02, 2012, 08:23:15 PM
Just heard Whitworth outrebounded McMurry. Don't know how that happened, a ton of offensive boards and second chance shots absolutely killed Whitworth for most of the game.

That also killed most ASC defenses for most of the year. McMurry was absurdly good at offensive rebounding this year, possibly the best such team in ASC history.

Regardless of what the rebounding margin was, McMurry beat Whitworth on the boards. McMurry got 40.7% of their available offensive rebounds and 64.0% of Whitworth's, leaving marks of 36.0% and 59.3% for Whitworth's offensive and defensive rebounding rates, respectively. McMurry just shot and missed more often, giving Whitworth more chances at generally-easier-to-get defensive rebounds. I don't have the data to back it up, but McMurry might have been the best rebounding team in the country this year.
Let's go 'Nados!

Ron Boerger

Trinity gave up a boatload of offensive rebounds but somehow came back late to defeat UMHB 68-66.

(509)Rat

They led the country in rebounding according to the Whitworth broadcaster and coach. But saying that "generally-easier-to-get" defensive rebounds is the reason Whitworth outrebounded McMurry isn't entirely accurate. McMurry got just as many "generally-easier-to-get" offensive rebounds off of deep 3's (which I'm grateful they were taking, since they were mostly terrible shots)...those bring your % almost right back to 50-50. Regardless, their guards were fun to watch. Perez probably should have played more. And now Whitworth gets Trinity tomorrow night

McM Blue Devil

Wow.  Trinity beats UMHB.  I had a feeling they could the way they have been playing.

cover2

Officiating was terrible both ways. How can an official mix up the shooters on a FT when the foul was away from the ball?!?!  Shows to me that they didn't even know if it was really a foul!  I didn't think either team could adjust to the calls due to the inconsistencies.

(509)Rat

And if you are online and have nothing to do I'd switch over to the UWRF game...coming back from almost a 30 pt deficit. 65-55 3 min left

cover2

Also counted a basket on a foul away from the ball which was a screen to get the shooter open!  Terrible.

(509)Rat

Quote from: cover2 on March 02, 2012, 10:45:47 PM
Officiating was terrible both ways. How can an official mix up the shooters on a FT when the foul was away from the ball?!?!  Shows to me that they didn't even know if it was really a foul!  I didn't think either team could adjust to the calls due to the inconsistencies.

That's too bad. I didn't really notice the officiating in the second game having an effect. I thought the guys in the first game did a great job. Let em play, were consistent on what was and wasn't a foul all game, calls went both ways. I think it benefitted McMurry but as long as the officials call it the same from one half to another and on each end of the court, thats all you can really ask.

cover2

I felt there was a ton of contact in the paint that was let to but then some ticky tack cheap stuff called on the perimeter.  Seems inconsistent.