WBB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference

Started by Warrior Fish, December 16, 2004, 12:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The general consensus from our own digging and from those I have talked to was this was a personal decision. I won't go into anything I can't substantiate, but I believe personal reasons was listed in some presser about it. Sometimes that is a throw-away or used to hide another reason. In this case, I think it is THE reason.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Jester1390

I heard the same thing from people in her profession that they heard it was for personal reasons. Nothing to do with Chicago

Just Bill

Averkamp leaves Benedictine to take over at D-II Hillsdale in Michigan. A bit of rebuilding job as Hillsdale was 6-21 last season, although they did have a winning record in the three previous seasons.

https://benueagles.com/news/2020/7/2/averkamp-steps-down-from-womens-basketball-position.aspx
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

jaybird44

It seems that I have been the only member of the only (unofficial) fall sport at WashU, with my 100-mile ultramarathon attempt earlier this month to promote the fight for a cure during Rett Syndrome Awareness Month.  That attempt fell a bit short in miles and fundraising, so I'm going into overtime to try and reach $5,000 in donations.

Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K will commence Friday, October 30 at 8 pm Central, and end at 8 am Halloween morning.  Counting donations received (thanks to retired WashU men's basketball coach Mark Edwards and his wife Mary, and to Mike McGrath and his  University of Chicago men's basketball program for their donations!) and those yet to be sent and processed, I am at $4,440.53.  Very, very close to my goal...which will fund a researcher's work for a month.  Wouldn't it be cool if he or she cracked the code for a cure of Rett syndrome, on our dime?!

I reached 86 miles in my "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" October 3-4.  I'm very proud of that result, but there's more work to be done.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  It primarily affects girls (1 in every 10,000 girls develop Rett).  It strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it has the characteristics of ALS, autism, epilepsy, and Parkinson's...all rolled into one sinister disorder.  It takes away the child's ability to move and communicate. 

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

Researchers are working to re-engineer the gene mutation that turns on Rett, so it can be forever turned off.  Four drug therapies are in the FDA review pipeline, with one (trofanitide) one level away from review.  And, iPad tablets with retinal scan technology are giving those with Rett a voice they haven't had since they were toddlers.

The full court press on Rett is paying off.  You can help keep the pressure on Rett, by going to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and hopefully there will be basketball to play and broadcast at the start of 2021!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K

WLCALUM83

1/29 NACC WBB FINALS:

Edgewood 73, Marian 56
CUW 72, Alverno 40
WLC 57, MSOE 47

(Anybody know if there were sudden changes at IL Tech WBB?  I checked the site and I didn't even see a 20-21 women's hoops schedule for that school?)
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."

WLCALUM83

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

IIT opted out of winter sports a while back.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

WLCALUM83

WLCALUM83

Late 1/30/21 Finals:

Edgewood 70, Marian 47 (Eagles pulled away by starting a big scoring run midway thru 3rd quarter)
WLC 58, MSOE 48 (Warriors' great FT shooting late in the game was the difference here).

Captain_Joe08

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 30, 2021, 05:46:56 PM

Not totally surprised with that move. They had issues fielding a team on the women's side the last few years and with this Pandemic would've complicated things.

NACC Standings

North

Edgewood 5-2 (4-0)
WLC 2-0 (2-0)
Concordia Wisconsin 4-2 (2-1)
Marian 2-2 (2-2)
Lakeland 2-1 (1-1)
Alverno 0-3 (0-3)
MSOE 0-5 (0-5)

South

Aurora 1-0 (1-0)
Benedictine 0-0 (0-0)
Concordia Chicago 0-3 (0-0)
Rockford 0-0 (0-0)
Dominican 0-1 (0-1)
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Captain_Joe08 on February 05, 2021, 12:36:02 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 30, 2021, 05:46:56 PM

Not totally surprised with that move. They had issues fielding a team on the women's side the last few years and with this Pandemic would've complicated things.

They brought in the U of Chicago coach for this season, so I doubt there will be any issues with WBB in the near future - other than how long it takes her to turn it around.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

WLCALUM83

Joining CUW-Edgewood in progress:  Eagles up 42-25 at halftime.

WLCALUM83

Final:  Edgewood 79, CUW 58 

(Eagles outshot CUW big in first half-50% to 29%)

WLCALUM83

WLCALUM83