WBB: NESCAC

Started by Senator Frost, March 12, 2005, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

Amherst has posted its WBB schedule and the preliminary roster.  No new players are listed.  From NH NESCAC Fan we are aware of Jasmine Hardy, a talented "shooting guard" that has transferred in.  I am curious if a talented guard from the DC/MD area has selected Amherst.  I met her at a welcome function in DC last Spring.  I believe her name (bad memory due to age here) is Sally Marx from Georgetown Day School.  If those posters that have players/friends on the squad and if Captain's practices have started, maybe can post here if Sally M. (no relation to the President, I believe) has participated to date.

sumfun

Sally Marx is at Amherst.  Here is preseason DIII News (not Hoops) poll

Here is the preseason top 25:

The Women's DIII News Top 25:
1. Amherst
2. Hope
3. Washington (Mo.)
4. Ill. Wesleyan
5. Rochester
6. Chris. Newport
7. Kean
8. Wis. Stevens Point
9. Babson
10. George Fox
11. Mt. Union
12. W. Connecticut
13. Messiah
14. St. Benedict
15. Gettysburg
16. Mary Washington
17. DePauw
18. Carthage
19. Calvin
20. Lebanon Valley
21. Roanoke
22. St. Thomas
23. Utica
24. Marymount
25. Thomas More
Others to watch include:

Southern Maine, Emmanuel, Ithaca, Cortland, La. College, Maryville, Muhlenberg, Scranton, Baruch, Moravian, DeSales, Wm. Paterson, Manhattanville, Medaille, Franklin, Ohio Wesleyan, Denison, Minn. Morris, St. Norbert, Simpson, Redlands

Surprised not to see Bowdoin, Colby, Williams or Tufts. 

amh63

Thanks Sumfun!   Interesting poll.....for a preseason one.  Many of the preseason polls, i.e. MBB, tennis...takes last year's results and repeat the standings from the NCAA results.  The poll has Amherst and Wash U. flipped from the year end standings.  This poll may have considered the changes on the squads....and the fact that Amherst could have beaten Wash. U last year if not for tired players in OT and/or on the line.   Does anyone know who provides the inputs into the poll?....writers, coaches, etc?
It is still pre...preseason and the season is long. 

NH NESCAC Fan

My guess on the ranking flip has more to do with Amherst returning 100% of their team while Washington lost 3 of their 5 top scorers and rebounders.

amh63

Thanks for the info NH NESCAC Fan.  My curiosity got the better of me and I went to the Wash U. website to find out what starters returned this year.  A. Hoover is the starter that was listed as a starter for the season and in the game with Amherst.  The other "starter" was not listed as such in the latter part of the Wash. U season or in the Amherst game.  The forward was however a major  player in the win over Amherst.   I expect her to be a starter this season.  Wash U. does keep a large squad during the season so the 14 returning letter winners on a Championship team is not surprising.
Speaking of squad size, it seems with the two known newcomers to the Amherst team, there is still room for another new player for the 15 member traveling squad.  This is also assuming that the  coach realize that having a larger team is a good thing.....especially after all the injuries last year.   Hope any additional player is a front court type player since Amherst will be thin after this season up front.  The two front court senior players are both 1st team NESCAC quality players and potentially All-American players, IMO.

jaybird44

Kathryn Berger not only was pivotal in the win over Amherst, she was a most effective 6th-person top reserve who played starter-type minutes.  For much of the season, she averaged over 20 points per 40 minutes of action.  So, yes, she will be a very important player for Wash-U again this season.

nescac1

Surprised Williams isn't getting any poll love after making the Sweet 16, and coming fairly close to knocking off Amherst in that game.  After some ups and downs, they really gelled / came together late in the season when they got healthy, and they return their entire rotation (plus perhaps another solid player who spent junior year abroad?).  They were very young last year, starting two frosh.  If Amherst is (deservedly) number one, I'd think the Ephs would at least be a top-25 team going into the season ...

amh63

nescac1.......you worry too much.  It is only a preseason poll.  Lobbying should occur after mid-season for post-season spots.  I agree, Williams' last game with Amherst in the sweet 16 game at Amherst (I was in attendance) was worrisome.  The two first year players were major contributors.  However, Amherst did blow-out Williams in two regular season games...i.e. over 20 plus points.

amh63

D3hoops preseason poll is up with three NESCAC teams in the top 25.   Amherst, Williams, Bowdoin and Colby selected.  Oops, that is four!  Williams' high rankling must be due to fine last game with Amherst in the Sweet 16 game at Amherst after being blown out in two earlier games.  They do have a large number of talented players returning. 
Sumfun...nice picture on the website.

NH NESCAC Fan

I just noticed that the Amherst roster has been updated to include the three new players.  In addition to Jasmine Hardy, and Sally Marx (who were previously mentioned) they also have Claire DiMario from Lake Forest, IL.  Claire is listed as a 6' forward.

Maine 1

some thoughts on coming season--I don't see anyone beating Amherst--they bring back entire team, and they were clearly the class of the league last year.  Williams could be tough also, as they bring back their entire team, and finished strong.  Colby loses their top scorer and top outside threats, and their coach, but returns a strong group.  Bates as always will have a lot of talent, and it will be interesting to see what Bowdoin and Tufts have  Should be a very interesting and competitive season.

wbbhoopsfan

I have enjoyed following women's basketball in the NESCAC (and men's) for the last couple of years since moving ot Maine.  Without as much dialogue on this side of the table, compared to the men, I thought I'd try to get some activity flowing with my preseason predictions.  Please don't bash the kids (or me, haha)... just one person's humble opinion of a league where information is tough to come by.

1. AMHERST - lost nothing, got better with additions ... my pick for National Champs, too
2. WILLIAMS - were young last year but gained experience and played well at the end ... PG is a legit scorer
3. BOWDOIN - until someone proves otherwise, count on 20 wins ... may be a transition year but i like the recruiting class
4. BATES - something about this team I like ... they are scrappy and have a good PG who will need to score more in 10-11
5t. TUFTS - lost a lot but have a good guard tandem back ... coaching is strong here and Hart is key at PG
5t. COLBY - lost two key perimeter players and coach, replacing with young, unproven assistant ... talent is there but transition might be tough.
7. TRINITY - coach has worked hard to build program and they are on the brink ... could easily finish as high as 3/4 with some things going in their favor.
8. WESLEYAN - my, how they have fallen
9. MIDDLEBURY - not much exciting here, seem to be in status quo
10. CONN COLLEGE - new coach brought in a ton of kids... year away from upward movement, although could sneak into 8th spot ... proven track record as recruiter at Holy Cross will help immensley, similar to Colby a few years ago and Bowdoin before it

wbbhoopsfan

Because the league doesn't do this part either, here are my preseason all-stars.  (I did notice, however, that more and more D. III leagues are doing preseason stuff... kinda nice and fun for us hoop junkies)

POY - Stedman, Amherst
May not be top scorer in  the league, but hands down the most dymanic and talented player. 

FIRST TEAM
Colleen Hart - classic PG who can shoot and defend.  Love her game (have only seen her live 2x and a few others in jumbocast)
Sarah Leyman - very skilled post player who will dominate inside this year.
Jill Greenberg - another strong permiter player who can score in bunches.  Always has the ball in her hands.
Julianne Kowalski - classic, post player who can knock down the outside shot consistently.  If they don't change to too much, she will get a lot of touches.
Annie Burns - always active on offense and defense

Lots of good player in the league... fire away!  ;)

sumfun

Not much to disagree with in your analysis.  With that big bulls-eye on their back, everyone will be focusing and keying in on Amherst.  They will have to be really focused to win NESCAC.  Can't take any game lightly.  Let the fun begin!!!

amh63

Started to focus my attention on BB after the end of football season.  The roster of the WBB is up on the Amherst website with all the updated pictures.  The first game is Sat. and will have live stats.  Seems the limited video hardware is assigned to cover the women's hockey games.  Maybe when the WBB team wins the national title, it will get some priority.   More likely, someone will just have to fund the school for more hardware.   I really think it is also having knowledgeable announcers available.
Let the games begin and every team/opponent have an injury free season!