WBB: NESCAC

Started by Senator Frost, March 12, 2005, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

What an opening weekend of the NCAA tournaments? Upsets a plenty. Gyms closed to fans. Incredible finishes. And so much more. Sunday night on Hoopsville we tried to cover it all.

The show started with extensive information on decisions surrounding COVID-19. We discussed decisions by Johns Hopkins and Amherst to close their doors to fans for the first weekend's games. We also had reactions and statements on the choice to return to Amherst this coming weekend for the Sectionals in women's basketball and the college's decision to, once again, ban fans from attending.

We also talked about the incredible stories coming out of the tournament of how teams are moving on and how seasons came to a sudden and emotional finish. 

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Pat Coleman, Editor-in-Chief, D3hoops.com
- Todd Raridon, No. 11 North Central (Ill.) men's coach
- Jackson Meshanic (sophomore) & Stefan Thompson (coach), Hobart men's team (Frank Rossi interviews)
- Greg Dunne, No. 18 Brockport men's coach
- Andy Rang, No. 23 Trine women's coach
- Pat Manning, Williams women's coach
- Bob Quillman & Ryan Scott

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Sunday's show On Demand in the following ways:
- Main page: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville
- Show page: http://bit.ly/2PWk7A7 (or www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2019-20/mar8)
- Facebook Live Simulcast: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
- YouTube Simulcast: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
- Team1 Sports: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville/
- Team1 Sports app (Android TV, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Roku) - you will either find it under the "live" section or search for the Hoopsville channel

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, the show is already available, so choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

All men's coaches appear in the NABC Coach's Corner. And all guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options.

Please also consider helping us out. We are accepting donations to the show - which many of you have asked about. The goal is to raise $7,500. We are approximately at $5,200 at the time of this posting.

To donate, click our PayPal link here: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=BSRFLPUJQ9MKL&source=url
If you are interested in using Venmo, try this link: https://givebutter.com/ACF5w0

And thank you for your contributions.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

GoPerry

https://twitter.com/d3hoopsville/status/1237129438304915458/photo/1

I'm really astounded by this decision and the inflexibility of Amherst and NCAA.  To me it is indefensible that Amherst and AD Don Faulstick did not withdraw their request to host this weekend knowing their no spectator policy.  In fact I find it hard to believe that they still wish to host at all?  It seems totally out of bounds for the NCAA to allow them to do so. 

UMHB, George Fox, and CNU fans and parents deserve an explanation on why the venue couldn't be switched.  I can understand why they are livid.

NE Jeffs Fan

Parents should be allowed in.  I'd be absolutely livid.  Test people, wear masks, anything by ban fans.

GoPerry

Quote from: NE Jeffs Fan on March 10, 2020, 11:12:53 AM
Parents should be allowed in.  I'd be absolutely livid.  Test people, wear masks, anything by ban fans.

From the NCAA WBB Manual:

Section 2•4 Site Selection
The championships committee has prioritized the following site-selection criteria for all championships:

1. Complete bid;
2. Quality and availability of the facility and other necessary accommodations;
3. Geographical location (which may include such factors as rotation of sites, weather, accessibility and transportation costs);
4. Seeding; and
5. Attendance history and revenue potential, which shall be considered necessary to assure fiscal responsibility.

So all that totally went out the window . . .

jamtod

Quote from: GoPerry on March 10, 2020, 11:28:49 AM
Quote from: NE Jeffs Fan on March 10, 2020, 11:12:53 AM

From the NCAA WBB Manual:

Section 2•4 Site Selection
The championships committee has prioritized the following site-selection criteria for all championships:

1. Complete bid;
2. Quality and availability of the facility and other necessary accommodations;
3. Geographical location (which may include such factors as rotation of sites, weather, accessibility and transportation costs);
4. Seeding; and
5. Attendance history and revenue potential, which shall be considered necessary to assure fiscal responsibility.

So all that totally went out the window . . .

Absolutely. On hoopsville, they talked a lot about how #5, Revenue Potential never factored in but I don't see how you even get to that. It starts with #2 and a facility where you can have 0 fans (regardless of revenue opportunity) ought to rule out a hosting bid right away.

ronk

Quote from: amh63 on March 08, 2020, 10:46:27 AM
Seems all four Nescac teams advanced to the Sweet 16.  Only Tufts' men's team moved forward. 
The hosts for the next round on the men's side is out today, whereas the Amherst's HC mentioned that he will know on Monday!
Hope the "panic" over the latest "Flu/C19" outbreak doesn't hurt Amherst's chances to host.  Big discussion on the web among my classmates....all doctors from the top medical schools wrt to the latest flu outbreak.  Yes, Amherst did ban fans from LeFrak this past weekend.
The Nescac teams all had blowout wins ...with the exception of Williams who was in Ithaca,NY.  Nice to see Williams' fans cheering for their team.
Note....Amherst's prez was the provost of Cornell Un. in Ithaca.  Lots of schools in Ithaca, etc. 
Back to the Amherst's win.  H. Fox reached a milestone and was back in form in the latest two wins.  Amherst's younger players also played well with one player setting a new record for blocks.  Nice to see the head coach talk/work with his young players during these post season games....Amherst loses three key seniors...two record setting guards.

Amh63,
Thought this was the year that u and I could get together at the sectional but Scranton lost in the 1st round eliminating that and the virus precaution would have precluded it anyhow.
  Had a social media exchange today with the mom of 1 of those key seniors, commiserating with her about the denial of the opportunity for the mom to see her daughter play her final games in person.

NE Jeffs Fan

Saw a report that numerous states are restricting the attendance of their high school tournament finals to immediate family only.  Amherst and Tufts should consider that.  Amherst just announced the following:

Amherst spring team sports will compete through Wednesday, March 11, and winter athletes will finish out their seasons. Spring team games will then be cancelled until the situation with COVID-19 becomes clearer. This does not mean the spring season is over entirely. Games will resume if and when classes resume on campus.

Doesn't even take into account that most Spring teams are outside. 

Flying Dutch Fan

2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

And with that, the 2019-20 seasons have come to a sudden end.

What a week it has been in college basketball. Exactly a week ago, as we hit the air, the first signs that COVID-19 was going to impact the NCAA Tournaments was seen. Since then, it has been a whirlwind.  

Tonight on Hoopsville, we try and make sense of one of the stranger finishes in history for NCAA events. What started with isolated closings of gyms for games ends a week later in all games being called off through the rest of the academic year.

We will chat with those who were preparing for games on Friday and hear their reactions to the seasons coming to a close so quickly.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Michelle Ferenze, No. 10 Whitman women's coach
- John Krikorian, Christopher Newport men's coach
- Cheri Harrer, No. 9 Baldwin Wallace women's coach

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Thursday's show LIVE starting at 7:00 p.m. ET in the following ways:
- Main page: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville
- Show page: http://bit.ly/3b1XeU3 (or www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2019-20/mar12)
- Facebook Live Simulcast: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
- YouTube Simulcast: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
- Team1 Sports: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville/
- Team1 Sports app (Android TV, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Roku) - you will either find it under the "live" section or search for the Hoopsville channel
Monday's show primarily covers the Atlantic, Central, South, and Northeast Regions. All men's coaches appear in the NABC Coach's Corner. And all guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline

All men's coaches appear in the NABC Coach's Corner. And all guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

Please also consider helping us out. We are accepting donations to the show - which many of you have asked about. The goal is to raise $7,500. We are approximately at $4,600 at the time of this posting.

To donate, click our PayPal link here: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=BSRFLPUJQ9MKL&source=url

And thank you for your contributions.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Former Bowdoin HC Stephanie Pemper was let go as Navy HC despite a good 12-year run, including 3 straight Patriot League championships('11-'13). A 7-29 Patriot record over the 2 most recent years was probably the reason.
  Stephanie's Bowdoin team split with Scranton in consecutive NCAA tourneys('04 and '05) and the latter game( a quarterfinal) was probably the finest D3 women's game that I have witnessed before this year's Bowdoin-Tufts game. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: ronk on April 27, 2020, 09:35:03 AM
Former Bowdoin HC Stephanie Pemper was let go as Navy HC despite a good 12-year run, including 3 straight Patriot League championships('11-'13). A 7-29 Patriot record over the 2 most recent years was probably the reason.
  Stephanie's Bowdoin team split with Scranton in consecutive NCAA tourneys('04 and '05) and the latter game( a quarterfinal) was probably the finest D3 women's game that I have witnessed before this year's Bowdoin-Tufts game.

She had a decent run, but this last season especially did not go well. They had the talent, but things fell apart. There were also other reasons other than the record. I think everything else excluded they would have retained her moving forward. I am just not in a position to make any thoughts public. Maybe a later time.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Will there be a 2020-21 NCAA Division III basketball season? If so what will it look like? What will the post-season look like?

It is on the mind of student-athletes, coaches, administrators, parents, and fans for several weeks, if not months, now. We are finally understanding what it may look like as a number of decisions or proposals are now making their way around Division III.

In this month's podcast, Dave McHugh not only downloads all the things being considered and the likely outcomes, but tries to give listeners an understanding of how much is still unknown despite some things becoming more clear.

McHugh also talks to Texas-Dallas women's basketball coach Polly Thomason for her take. Thomason has been in the Division III Women's Basketball National Committee for several years and is this season's chair of the committee. She also serves on the WBCA Board of Governors. Thomason not only provides her perspective on much of what is going on not only in Division III, but in women's basketball as well.

And of course, there is always the Hoopsville Notebook. Unfortunately, there is some sad news in the Notebook this month, but also news to celebrate especially when it comes to DIII alums making news in the NBA.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3kMl0rZ

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):

Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville

jaybird44

It seems that I have been the only member of the only (unofficial) fall sport at WashU, with my 100-mile ultramarathon attempt earlier this month to promote the fight for a cure during Rett Syndrome Awareness Month.  That attempt fell a bit short in miles and fundraising, so I'm going into overtime to try and reach $5,000 in donations.

Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K will commence Friday, October 30 at 8 pm Central, and end at 8 am Halloween morning.  Counting donations received (thanks to retired WashU men's basketball coach Mark Edwards and his wife Mary, and to Mike McGrath and his  University of Chicago men's basketball program for their donations!) and those yet to be sent and processed, I am at $4,440.53.  Very, very close to my goal...which will fund a researcher's work for a month.  Wouldn't it be cool if he or she cracked the code for a cure of Rett syndrome, on our dime?!

I reached 86 miles in my "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" October 3-4.  I'm very proud of that result, but there's more work to be done.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  It primarily affects girls (1 in every 10,000 girls develop Rett).  It strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it has the characteristics of ALS, autism, epilepsy, and Parkinson's...all rolled into one sinister disorder.  It takes away the child's ability to move and communicate. 

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

Researchers are working to re-engineer the gene mutation that turns on Rett, so it can be forever turned off.  Four drug therapies are in the FDA review pipeline, with one (trofanitide) one level away from review.  And, iPad tablets with retinal scan technology are giving those with Rett a voice they haven't had since they were toddlers.

The full court press on Rett is paying off.  You can help keep the pressure on Rett, by going to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and hopefully there will be basketball to play and broadcast at the start of 2021!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Since March 2020, the NCAA and especially Division III has been on a roller coaster. A ride no one ever predicted or would want to be on. The ride is also not over.

Since March, many in DIII have tried to keep athletics going though through fall seasons the decisions had nearly everyone on the same page. Winter sports have seen more of a multi-pronged approach - depending on the institution, location, type, financial security, mentality, etc., etc., etc.

On this final of a trip of Hoopsville podcasts, we talk to a couple of administrators on the impact the pandemic has made on the division and their institutions. We also talk about different approaches each has taken when it comes to trying to have intercollegiate competition. And we discover why even with the best efforts to move forward, some things are not within one's control.

Yeshiva Athletics Director Joe Bednarsh and Amherst Athletics Director Don Faulstick give us their perspectives in what is a complicated world of restrictions, protocols, testing requirements, and more that are also always changing. Each institution has taken a different path, so far, but it doesn't mean their thinking is all that different. Find out how each is trying to ultimately help student-athletes succeed.

Another place the virus has made a significant impact is to the D3sports.com network. Page views are down a whopping 93%! That ginormous decline has also hurt the financial future of the company. Editor-in-Chief Pat Coleman joins us to discuss the extremely difficult challenge of keeping the websites up and operational and how asking for help from those who frequent the sites seemed like the best course of action.

Plus, Dave gives another in-depth breakdown of where DIII basketball sits in terms of a season ahead and especially possibility of NCAA Championships. And an update on where Hoopsville sits during an unpredicted challenge in front of everyone.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/2K7QIDp

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. We hope to start live, video, shows sometime in January.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville