WBB: NEWMAC

Started by Renaissance Coach, December 02, 2004, 06:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renaissance Coach

Hey, NEWMAC people. I would like to hear from you. I have an involvement with WPI and would like to get some conversations, arguements, fight, oral assaults going. Come on. My last post was 364 days ago on the NEWMAC site on D3HOOPS.com. They canceled you out cuz no one has conversed since then. I cant see the games as I'm in MN. T'was out there prior to Thanksgiving and enjoyed a game or two my daughter was involved in but need more!!!! Wake me up and get involved........ please. Be a Santa and ho ho ho me with some input.

RC

Nancy Abromowitz

Coach...Brandeis plays Wheaton, WPI, Wellesley, Babson, Mt Holyoke, MIT...Babson on Sat and WPI next tuesday...

Renaissance Coach

Life on the NEWMAC!!! And me, in my infinite wisdom tried to get this strand re-started by posting on the UAA site. Like I told Pat, that's what happens when ya mix Norwegians, computers, and old age!!!!

My team took one on the chin last night to Mt. Ida--Ouch. Don't know much about eastern teams so don't know what's expected of whom but I do know that WPI is coming off of a respectable season. Maybe if we can get some of the NEWMAC members involved I can learn. MAYBE I can learn.  

I'm heading north tomorrow to watch my other favorite tteam Carleton from the MIAC. After back, to back, to back, to back NCAA appearances they've dug themselves a hole to climb out of.

Thanks for the input and if traveling, please do so safely.

RC

Allen M. Karon

Here's my 2 cents on NEWMAC from Brandeis playing so many of those teams this season--

In short, there are three teams that have a chance of taking NEWMAC.  In my opinion, those three teams are Mt. Holyoke, Clark, and Springfield.  Brandeis faced Clark in scrimmage, and Mt. Holyoke in the Brandeis tip-off.  Clark's Ashley Auclair is a great athlete who can score and help lead the Cougars to victory, but I liked Mt. Holyoke more.  Mt. Holyoke has Christine Godin, and that big 6'2" center in Jonee Billy.  If Jonee Billy can stay healthy, then Mt. Holyoke may have a chance of winning their first NEWMAC tournament and getting to the NCAAs this season.

So, although most people would pick either Clark or Springfield to win NEWMAC, I will pick Mt. Holyoke as my pick to be NEWMAC champion this season.

Babson, WPI, and Wellesley are good teams, but they need to improve their games.  Coast Guard seems to have had a hot start to their season, but I don't really have an opinion on how good they are-- Coast Guard may be a sleeper team.  Wheaton (MA) will be hard pressed to win 9 games because their starters always get into foul trouble.  MIT is simply too overmatched.

That's my take on NEWMAC.

Renaissance Coach

Thnanks for the input. I was out to Worcester for the tip off tourney at WPI prior to turkey day. WPI looked pretty good in their opener but lost in O/T and then notched their first "W" the following day. Their outside shooting, which should be their forte', wasn't clicking. It'll be interesting when league play rolls around to see if they can improve on last years pretty good year.  

Keep this mid-westerner posted.

RC

Nancy Abromowitz

Sat behind some Western New England parents yesterday at the Brandeis game, somebody should tell them you DON'T call a team overrated unless you beat them. Brandeis opened up multiple 20 point leads, substituted freely (several times had 4 frosh on floor at once, for 3-5 minute streches)and because Western scored 8 unanswered points in the last minute, doesn't mean if Caoch Simon wanted to beat you by 60 she couldn't. All the nasayers beware, if you have seen games since the opening game you would realize that Brandeis has taken steps evry week and this young team is getting more comfortable with their respective roles. Hope it continues.

Renaissance Coach

I saw Western play when we made t he trek from SE Minnesota to Worcester. I didn't think they looked too bad in their o/t "W" over WPI. WPI couldn't hit from out and it killed them. Without seeing Brandeis and reflecting on their score agains WPI and Western I'd have to say they must be pretty salty.

Good to see a couple of posters here. Helps me keep contact with hoops in the NEWMAC and the teams my lil' kid is coaching against. Thanks.

RC

Allen M. Karon

NEWMAC play starts tomorrow, Jan. 6

1.)  Babson at WPI-- 5:30 PM
2.)  Wheaton at Mt. Holyoke-- 7 PM
3.)  Clark at Wellesley-- 7 PM
4.)  Springfield at MIT-- 7 PM
5.)  Smith at Coast Guard-- 7:30 PM

Since I have seen Clark and Mt. Holyoke when they played Brandeis, and I have not yet seen Springfield, I will check out the Springfield at MIT game.  Springfield should defeat MIT, but the game will give me a chance as to how both teams's games stack up-- as the Brandeis women play MIT next Wednesday.  I may not have a chance to post the results right away, as I will have to prepare for Rochester at Brandeis the following day, but I will give my observations when I am able to do so.

Allen M. Karon

When I posted yesterday's message, I was not fully aware that there was going to be a winter storm today (1/6) in the Boston area, nor as to how bad the conditions could get by this evening.  Predictions for Boston today are that the snow, which is heavy at times this morning could change over to sleet by 1 PM today and remain as sleet for this evening.  As of now, I don't know if NEWMAC will postpone their games this evening, but I am personally leaning against travelling this evening-- even if the game does go on.  Local DIII games are not like UAA conference games-- the local, New England games can be postponed and made up at a later date.

doctazulu

Hey Coach! WPI Class of 2004 and current WPI grad student here.  I have been to a few of the woman's games and have noticed a few things.  They are a very good team.  I would just make a few adjustments to their back court.  Sarah Doyon is argueably the best shooter on the team.  She has been given point guard duties on the team.  Moving her to Shooting guard would allow her to get open for shots.  Have Ashley bring the ball down.  She protects the ball very well.  Lee Helberg their best post player needs help in the post.  In my opinion, although a good shooter, she take too many 15-18 foot shots.  Force her to the block where she has the ability to dominate.  Kick out if needed.  They should be scoring 60-70% of the team's scoring.  I'll be at the Babson game tonight.  I'll let you know what happens.

~The Docta

Allen M. Karon

I just called MIT Athletics-- MIT will be playing as scheduled tonight, which probably means that all NEWMAC games scheduled for tonight should be able to be played.

Seeing that the weather seems to have lightened up a bit, I will probably head on over to Cambridge tonight.  I'm taking public transportation anyway, so it is just a matter of being careful while I am walking.

Pat Coleman

MIT is no longer playing as scheduled, although it's probably too late to change your plans if you already decided to go.

Allen M. Karon

I was already at MIT, Pat, when I heard the news that the Springfield at MIT game had been postponed.  Apparently, Springfield decided to go ahead with the trip and decided on the postponement once the bus was on the Mass Pike and couldn't even reach the Palmer exit due to the weather conditions.   The Springfield team then called and postponed the game.  I headed on over to Emmanuel instead to catch the Emmanuel/Curry game, but I was a little upset that Springfield decided to go ahead with the trip not knowing if they could get to Boston on time in a safe manner.  The decision should have been made before the attempt.

Allen M. Karon

Eventually, I guess that because the weather conditions out in western Massachusetts were worse than initially anticipated (as the Springfield team experienced), all the women's games on the NEWMAC slate scheduled for Jan. 6 did get postponed as the other visiting teams decided on their own not to attempt travel to their respective games.

Smith at Coast Guard will be played Jan. 7, Wheaton at Mt. Holyoke got rescheduled to Feb. 8, and the other 3 games on the docket should be rescheduled shortly.

Renaissance Coach

Glad to see my Engineers--what a name--came up with the winning formula Sat. Maybe all the variables of the formula have been figured out so they can go on a streak. It sounds like the outside game is coming to life which is what is needed. Go WPI!!!

RC