2022 Season Game Notes

Started by SimpleCoach, August 29, 2022, 07:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulNewman

SC, agreed.  For now I'm going to rely on first game sloppiness and trying to mix in so many players.  Strange to lose only one starter or key sub and see odd line-ups out there but we'll see how they look after a few games.  JCU will be a big test, although the Blue Streaks also really struggled to put away Oberlin.  I was pleased about Scottie Upton (#10 for Kenyon) who looked sharp.  Not a big kid, but one of the toughest in D3, and talented.  Gaese #16 also showed well, and I see plenty of firepower up front with Carson #4 and sophs Duratovic #21 and Dujakovich#18.  Realizing that Johannson #2 who started all last year at holding mid also had very limited minutes, and it was the midfield imo that looked the sloppiest and error-prone.  Nardiello-Smith #3 also had a pretty good game.  Hopefully Muther will be back soon and Martinez will get back to 65-70 minutes.

PaulNewman

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 02, 2022, 10:21:34 AM
Quote from: PaulNewman on September 02, 2022, 09:52:58 AM
Otherwise, the games that stood out were Rochester handling hyped Cortland and the RPI-MSU draw.

I would add a third: Carthage 2, Wash U 1. It was the debut of the Firebirds' new head coach, D1 refugee Paul Leese.

It's hardly the end of the world for the Bears, whom I still expect to be very good and very competitive in the UAA. But it says something for Carthage, what with the new coach and the loss of their best backliner (who transferred to Calvin). The Firebirds have underperformed the last few seasons, but that is nevertheless a dangerous team that still has a considerable amount of talent on their current roster.

Agreed.  Forgot that one.

And as for Rochester, I've complained for 10 years about that paywall which is just insane for a school charging 70K+ a year.  I'm gonna have my daughter rescind her diploma.

SimpleCoach

University of Scranton @ King's College

- King's College in their home All Whites
- Scranton in their away all black with purple sash.
- Very chaotic start.  Middle is really crowded.  Both teams seem to be looking to control the ball on the deck.  Passing is very sketchy once past midfield.
- Seems things are too tight for Scranton.  Meaning not doing the best trying to take advantage of width.
- King's also not messing around defensively.  Happy to get it out if needed.
- King's doing a better job with have numerical advantages in the midfield.  Scranton seems to be struggling in making sure players are marked.
- 30 Minutes left.
- King's is owning more of the ball.
- Very imprecise transitioning to offense.  Both teams are looking for a killer punch that is not there.
- King's takes advantage of their possession and poor tacking by Scranton to take a shot from 35 out that just went over the bar.
- Scranton comes done the field and from a tight angle, a shot just goes over the bar. 
- Announcer is very enthusiastic.  I like him.
- Impressed by King's College.  Really do try to play the ball and knock the ball. 
- Scranton had a chance from an errant pass but sailed the ball over the bar.
- 17 minutes left.
- King's had a dead ball from 40 yards out, that almost connected back post inside the 6.  Scranton Keeper sat on his line.... Dangerously.
- Oh my gosh.  King's College just goes ahead on a shot that should have been inconsequential.  Kings#6 gets the ball, cuts it back and hits it on frame.  Scranton Keeper leeps to get the ball and it inexorably goes through his hands for a goal.
- Scranton 0; Kings 1.
- Scranton Keeper should have at least tipped it over the bar.  You can see that from the body language, that they feel let down by that goal.
- 7 left in half.
- Scranton trying to get something going.  But come up against halftime.
- Scranton 0; Kings 1.
- Much of the same, but Scranton trying to me intentional going forward and move the ball quickly.  Still lack of precision is hurting them.
- Scranton is pressing and getting dangerous.  Couple of nice through balls and balls swung in has given King's anxiety.
- King's need to get back into control of the game and try to get Scranton out of this game.
- Scranton had two melee's that should have led to a goal.  They are knockin'
- 20 minutes left for Scranton to equalize.  Think in this second half they deserve to reward their hard work with a goal.
- Where was this Scranton team in the first half.  Playing with urgency and very intentional on the attack.  King's is chasing at this point.
- And against the run of play, King's sends a nice through ball to a forward who from 30 yards out, puts it past the Scranton Keeper who cam charging out.  Think he should have be a bit more patient as a defender may have gotten to him just in time.  A cruel game.
- Scranton 0; Kings 2.
- 10 minutes left.
- Scranton still on the hunt while King's is just managing the game out.
- And with 3 minutes left, Scranton gets on the scored board.  Ball cleared on a corner, Scranton#15 settles at the 18, and hits it.  Ball is deflected into the back of the net.
- Scranton 1; Kings 2.
- Scranton is now pressing with 6 players and King's is doing everything it can to get the ball up high.
- Scranton has run out of time and the King;s take the game.
- Final Scranton 1; Kings 2.

NEPAFAN

Thanks for this, validates my untrained eye on the first goal that went in. Didn't see the 2nd Kings goal.

A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

SimpleCoach

Moravian University @ Virginia Wesleyan University

- Looks like VWU in White top, black shorts, and white socks.
- Moravian in all blue.
- Beautiful grass field.
- Moravian trying to get something going, but are struggling to keep the ball. 
- VWU is has possession for long stretches, and press really well when they lost it.
- Moravian is defending well.  Deep and compact. 
- Moravian just intercepted a bad pass and went on a counter.  Through ball to a forward who scores, but ruled off.  I am not too sure.  It was very close.
- VWU#21 has to do a better job with his passes into the middle.  Needs to be much more precise.
-  I actually think that was a goal, at least by the angle I am seeing it from.
- VWU pressing on the attack.  Between lack of precision and VWU defense, it's been tough to break through.
- VWU isn't patient either, they make some passes and launch it up to the winger.
- Moravian is content with VWU having possession in the back.  They are waiting for them to come forward.  Don't really press until VWU gets to the center circle.
- Moravian much more positionally disciplined.
- VWU doesn't have a clear idea on the attack.  Really not coming close.  Moravian is intent when they get forward and are able to create something that cause VWU problems.  Not often but often enough.
- 22 minutes left in half.
- Really a midfield battle right now.  Keep waiting for something to break, but neither team seems to be willing to take risks.
- Managing the heat with a water break.
- VWU#11 needs to get the ball more.  He is critical for anything they want to do at this point.
- Are "wife beater" tee's making a come back?
- Moravian just had a chance, but VWU came up big with a couple of close range save.
- Think VWU lack some cohesion and discipline.
- 12 minutes left.
- I don't want this to sound bad, and don't am not making this personal, but from a  soccer perspective, VWU strikes me lazy.  Seemingly always looking for the easy way out, and never fully committing to do the work.  Moravian is growing into this game because they are willing to put in the work.
- Moravian seems to vulnerable at the left back spot.  A number of fouls for late tackles. 
- Halftime
- 5 minutes in and Moravian is pressing high on VWU.  Think they sense that they can really get a goal if they can get the right ball.
- VWU trying to play with urgency, but not accurate in their build up.
-   Moravian is doing well finding the midfielders feet.
- And like that, Moravian has a Steven Gerard moment.  Center back with a simple ball slips, and the VWU forward takes the ball and hits it past the Moravian Keeper who was out of position.
- Really, soccer is such a cruel mistress.
- And Moravian just came back and the VWU Keeper made a really good one on one save to preserve the lead.
- Hopefully this does not weigh on Moravian as there are 38 minutes left in the game.
- Moravian 0; Virginia Wesleyan 1.
- Moravian keeps trying to find the equalizer while VWU is trying to manage the game in front of them.
- 30 minutes remain.
- VWU also just trying to bleed the clock.
- Moravian is weak on the back post.  VWU found that spot a few times.  Could get a goal from there.
- Again VWU, lazy.  Soft header back to the keeper who is forced to come out of the box to clear it otherwise the Moravian forward has an open net.
- Actually think Moravian is the better team, but let VWU have that silly goal.
- VWU spending most of this half, pinned in this half.
- Moravian conceding a little more on defense, especially as their legs and minds get tired.
- VWU getting more of the ball and initiative.
- 18 left.
- 5 left.  Moravian keeps trying.
- Moravian had the equalizer.  Long throw ball ended up on the six for a header against the keeper, but the Moravian player sailed it over the bar.
- Game over.  Moravian 0;   Virginia Wesleyan 1.  Think Moravian deserved more.

SimpleCoach

Case Western Reserve @ Ohio Wesleyan University

-  At Jay Martin Soccer Complex
-  Season Opener for both teams.
-  Field looks immaculate.  I mean its just perfect.
-  Case is in all white.
-  OWU in red and black stripes , black shorts and socks.
-  OWU does what it does.  Patient in the back.
-  Case doesn't press until the ball gets to the semi circle.
-  Case is a talented team with an idea of how they want to play.  Making it difficult for OWU.
-  Case has gotten closer to goal by playing quick.
-  OWU just got to goal for the first time by breaking quick before Case had a chance to get back into its defensive shape.  Ended up as a corner for OWU. 
-  First real chance for OWU.
-  OWU is pressing forward, but Case is defending well.
-  35 minutes left in the half.
-  Will say I am impressed with the control on the ball of both teams especially in tight spaces.
-  Case can get to the OWU 18 and make them sweat.  OWU doesn't seem so confident defensively as they are offensively.
-  WHAT A GOAL! 
-  Foul on Case at the center circle to the far post.  OWU#20 sside volleys the ball, and bounces over the keeper for the lead.
-  CWRU 0; OWU 1
-  Just a great ball taken out of the air.
-  And like that Case ties it up! Poor goal kick by the OWU keeper that goes to a Case forward.  Dribble into the box, and after a couple passes, and bad defensive tackles it lands at the feet of a forward to the left of the OWU keeper.  Rifles a shot on the ground between the OWU keepers legs.
-  CWRU 1; OWU 1
-  15 minutes left.
-  Halftime.
-  Think I am done with this one.  It's late and am tired.

SimpleCoach

Montclair State @ Catholic University

-  Finale of the Turk Emekli Classic at Carlini Field in DC.
-  Montclair is ranked 23rd in the country standing at 1-0-1
-  Catholic is a favorite to repeat as Landmark Champions are 1-0, beating Baruch College soundly at 5-0
-  Montclair in all White, and Catholic in all Black.
-  Catholic starts with the Worst Play in D3 Soccer.
-  Catholic trying to press and break out on the attack quickly.  Don't think the press bother Montclair much.  Have the skill to knock around in tight spaces.
-  Continuation of last year for Catholic.  Perfectly fine in the inconsequential in the back, passing characteristic of so many teams, but lose the ball because they go long with it.
-  Montclair is man for man, and as a team, better at handling the ball than Catholic.
-  3rd corner for Montclair.  34 minutes left in the half.
-  Montclair doing well closing down the space.  Catholic struggles to get the ball moving past midfield because of it.
-  Chance for Montclair, but Catholic Keeper  makes a save.  Montclair is have success getting to the line and dropping it back.
-  Catholic#7 needs to get the ball if Catholic is going to be successful.
-  Montclair#10 is looking pedestrian today. 
-  28th minutes left in half.
-  Catholic looks gassed trying to chase so much.
-  Catholic has 5 players who gets touches on the ball.  Two backs.  Catholic#25, Catholic#19 and Catholic#17. 
-  Someone should tell Catholic#17 he needs to stop with the back heel chop.  Worked once, not anymore.
-  Montclair#11 is the best Montclair player.  Give him the ball and watch him dine on the Catholic D.
-  And like that, Montclair#11, receives a ball... unmarked.  You would think Catholic would have done their scouting.... Or read my games notes from 9.1.2022 or see my 2022 season preview.  -  -  With plenty of space turns and goes at the back peddling defender and hits a ball far post, for the go ahead goal.
-  Montclair 1; Catholic 0
-  Someone should tell Montclair#8 to stop being a petulant little spoiled brat every time he doesn't get a call.
-  This is where Catholic shows it deficiencies with their passing and control of the ball.
-  This is where Montclair is at it's most vulnerable.  Going up one and thinking they got this.  They then make silly mistakes.  Like the keeper almost getting the ball stolen from Catholic#7 just as I am typing this.
-  Montclair needs the second because Catholic has it in them to create enough chaos in the box that could lead to a tie.
-  First shot by Catholic.  Shot from Catholic#16 from 25 yards out.  16 minutes left in the half.
-  Catholic#7 is getting more involved, and making the attack a bit more fluid.  But they rely on him.
-  Catholic now creating chaos in the box with some throw ins and a couple of corners.
-  And on one, ball is headed, going in, but cleared off the line.  Cleared for another Catholic corner.
-  13 minutes left.
-  Catholic getting more dangerous, because of Montclair's carelessness.  Perhaps overconfidence.
-  Montclair is trying to bleed the clock whenever they can.
-  Catholic need's to press and go after Montclair#4.   Weakest defender out there.
-  6 minutes left in the half.
-  This is the second game I have watched Montclair, and for all the talent, I think they play to the level of their competition.  Should dominate, but they come across as lazy, or I don't know, not connected. Uninspired is another word.
-  Montclair Keeper really doesn't do well with the ball at his feet.  Doesn't have the best of kicks.
-  Catholic#20 serves as a body.  How other do you explain him subbing on Catholic#7?????
-  With a  minute left, Catholic totally butchered a goal kick.
-  Halftime.
-  Montclair lazily playing but good enough to get a goal.  Catholic looking to create chaos in the final third.
-  Second Half
-  Catholic back to what it does.  Knock the ball in the back, and launch it down the right side.
-  Like I said, 42 minutes in.  And Catholic capitalizes on a poor GOALKICK by the Montclair Keeper.   I mean comedy.
-  Montclair 1; Catholic 1
-  I mean, is the Montclair Keeper the weakest part of their game?  He can't take goal kicks.
-  And of course, Catholic is now feeling it.  Like they can take this game.  And Montclair is full of doubt.
-  Seriously, when is a team going to listen to me and sit deep defensively and force Catholic to come at you, rather than getting caught up in their pursuit of chaos?
-  Catholic#16 is a poor replacement for last years CDM.  At least last years CDM has an idea about the game.
-  Now Montclair is looking to gain the advantage again.
-  Not sure if it is the heat, but it just looks slow.
-  Catholic cant connect real passes.  They turn over and their midfield is so far up they Montclair clears the ball it lands at a Montclair forward feet with no one around.
-  Dead ball for Montclair gets floated in and it bangs off the post.
-  Montclair is now alive again.  Catholic Keeper just made a key save on a one on one.  Saved Catholic.
-  Catholic really struggling to deal with Montclair's pressure.
-  Get a counter and a 3v2, and Catholic #24 delivers a crappy ball that Montclair#4 is able to hit back to the Keeper who... poorly clears the ball.
-  If Catholic gets a result this game, MVP is the Catholic Keeper.
-  30 Minutes left in 2nd half.
-  Since the tying goal, Catholic is under quite a bit of pressure.  Montclair is careless defensively though.
-  Catholic announcers are not bad.  Interesting observations.... And enthusiasms!
-  This is not the same Montclair team as last year.  Lack the energy and precision of last year.
-  Hydration break.
-  Think they struggle against compact defenses, like Catholic.  In part because they aren't patient.
-  Catholic#7 loses the ball.  Commits a tough foul for a deserved yellow.
-  Montclair with a dead ball from 35 out.
-  20 minutes left.
-  Montclair does not defend in midfield.
-  Catholic trying to isolate Catholic#7 so they can get him in to goal in a foot race.
-  Montclair#17 is probably the most energetic player out there for Montclair.
-  Catholic will score on Montclair in large measure because Montclair is defensively undisciplined.
-  Catholic#16 is positionally naïve.  Lacks an understanding of where he needs to be.
-  Montclair now looks like they want this game to be over.  Look exhausted.
-  7 minutes left.
-  2 minutes left.
-  Catholic being opportunistic and Montclair not the team I thought had so much potential last year.
-  Montclair just looks not fit.  That and a lack of enthusiasm for playing.
-  Game over.
-  Unless they do something different, not sure Montclair deserves the ranking in the 23rd in the nation.

SimpleCoach

Carnegie Mellon University @ Allegheny College

-  The soccer at The Robertson Athletic Complex just looks  immaculate.  Beautiful grass field.
-  Allegheny was the team of reference in the 80's when I played.  They were a really serious program.
-  Always looking at Carnegie Mellon to perform, if only for their pedigree.
-  Allegheny in all white.  CMU in red top, black shorts and socks.
-  Think the coach is "Interim" at Allegheny
-  Carnegie Mellon breaks quick on the attack.
-  Start is a little chaotic.
-  First corner leads to an opportunity for CMU.  Goes near post but cleared away.
-  Carnegie Mellon is taking it to them.  Allegheny has had a couple of forays into the CMU half.
-  Allegheny keeper just made a big save.
-  And the next play, CMU sends a ball far post from about 40 yards away and buries the ball in the back of the net.
-  Carnegie Mellon 1; Allegheny 0
-  CMU is clearly the better team.  Think more goals are coming.  This is definitely not the Allegheny of old.  Which is a shame.
-  Allegheny is playing with really one forward while the 9 others end up dropping back to defend to a 4-5-1 when they are defending then transition to a 4-3-3 or a 3-4-3 when they try  to get on the attack.  CMU is not letting them attack though.
-  CMU is controlling the rhythm.
-  25 minutes left in the half.
-  CMU is doing well knocking the ball 1/2 touch, when they do  that they move down the field quickly.  Allegheny struggles to adjust.
-  But, for the most part this is all CMU.
-  16 left
-  Allegheny back four doing ok as long as the ball is in front of them.  CMU looking to get behind the outside backs, and that's where Allegheny has shown to be vulnerable.
-  Allegheny did work the ball down the left and dropped it back for a player to one time the ball from 12.  Keeper made the save and the ball was cleared out.  Definitely their best opportunity.
-  And a counter  by CMU. Ball out on the right, player takes it to the line and chips the ball back post when a CMU player heads the ball into the back of the net.  And like that CMU up by 2.
-  Carnegie Mellon 2; Allegheny 0
-  Ok.  Not the best of games and think Carnegie Mellon is the better team.  This game is in hand and not even half.  Calling this over. 

SimpleCoach

Franklin & Marshall College @ Stevens Institute of Technology

-  Stevens is ranked 25th in the country
-  F&M is ranked 19th in the country
-  Love the city setting of the DeBaun Athletic Complex.  Hoboken in the background.
-  Stevens in all white; F&M in all blue.
-  Running and gunning to start the game.  Everything long, everything at a fast pace.
-  Stevens shows that they like to move the ball on the deck.
-  F&M steps up high when the ball is on the end.  Chases down clearances rather than waiting for the ball to get to him in the box.  This is super smart especially since F&M really wants to keep the ball deep in their opponents end and not give them the opportunity to reset.
-  Stevens forces the keeper to punch the ball out on a corner.  Well played by the F&M keeper.
-  Stevens#9 is a talented ball player.  Skillful on the dribble with an idea to make things happen.  And makes really intelligent runs.
-  Both teams are knocking each other around.  This is a bit of a brawl.
-  Battle between the 18s so far.  Neither team getting to goal clearly.  Both teams have a lock tight grip on defense.
-  A chess match between two different teams.
-  F&M going at a pace and trying to get the ball forward and throttle Stevens in the back.
-  Stevens trying to keep control of the ball and work the ball on the deck and penetrate when they can.
-  17 minutes left.
-  Stevens just had the best chance of the game.  Ball fell to a forward who hit it from 4 yards out and the F&M keeper managed to get his foot on the ball.  Cleared out by an F&M defender.  Best opportunity so far.
-  14 left.
-  Stevens#19 is an intelligent player.  Stevens#10 is special and really runs the offense from Stevens.
-  F&M just had an opportunity go wide on a deflection for a corner.  Close call.
-  The announcer is very good.  Really does have a good understanding of the game.
-  Stevens does mix up the point of attack, but definitely has more success going at the right back for F&M

-  Halftime.  Bit of a chess match. 
-  Stevens 0; Franklin & Marshall 0

-  Stevens does a good job taking the sting out of the pace and play their way.  Do well at connecting through the midfield.
-  And like that.  A long throw for Stevens ends up bouncing in the box and ends up at the back post where a Steven#22 one times a ball and beats the F&M keeper to his right.
-  Stevens 1; Franklin and Marshall 0
-  36 minutes left.
-  Something had to give, and I think Stevens was threatening a bit more than F&M.  They were finding spaces and taking advantage of them.
-  Stevens is now feeling it and pushing forward.
-  And I am not sure about this.  Stevens just got a penalty.
-  Wonderful through ball that puts a Stevens players one on one with the F&M Keeper.  Keeper comes out for the ball and looks like he gets the ball and the players trips up.  Ref calls it a PK.  Not sure.  Not sure at all.
-  Stevens#11 goes to F&M right who almost saves it.
-  Stevens 2; Franklin and Marshall 0
-  30 minutes left.
-  Wow.  And like that Stevens notches another one!  Great floated ball to the back post, masterfully settled by Stevens#19, who is by himself and slots the ball to past the F&M Keeper.  This is a goal of skill.  His first touch is perfect, and slots the ball perfectly on the ground.  No bounce, no panic.  Masterclass of a finish.
-  Stevens 3; Franklin and Marshall 0
-  Honestly, am surprised F&M conceded two goals the same way.  Back post man unmarked.  I think the PK was a bad call, but the other two was just bad defense.
-  25 minutes left.
-  Not sure how F7M reacts to this.  They need a goal but don't seem to be getting close.
-  Can tell that third goal really took something out of F&M.  Definitely a position they are not accustomed to.   
-  Game is over.
-  Another result I was not expecting this opening weekend.  A number of Top 20 teams didn't look like Top 20 teams.  Get it's early, but who knows.
-  And with 30 seconds left, Stevens almost got a fourth but was cleared off the line.  Astounding.
-  Ok.  Am out.

camosfan

Someone should tell Montclair#8 to stop being a petulant little spoiled brat every time he doesn't get a call

that's what he is, people even wonder how he got into the starting 11, has a history from his PDA days!

College Soccer Observer

Quote from: SimpleCoach on September 04, 2022, 06:49:11 PM
Carnegie Mellon University @ Allegheny College

-  The soccer at The Robertson Athletic Complex just looks  immaculate.  Beautiful grass field.
-  Allegheny was the team of reference in the 80's when I played.  They were a really serious program.
-  Always looking at Carnegie Mellon to perform, if only for their pedigree.
-  Allegheny in all white.  CMU in red top, black shorts and socks.
-  Think the coach is "Interim" at Allegheny
-  Carnegie Mellon breaks quick on the attack.
-  Start is a little chaotic.
-  First corner leads to an opportunity for CMU.  Goes near post but cleared away.
-  Carnegie Mellon is taking it to them.  Allegheny has had a couple of forays into the CMU half.
-  Allegheny keeper just made a big save.
-  And the next play, CMU sends a ball far post from about 40 yards away and buries the ball in the back of the net.
-  Carnegie Mellon 1; Allegheny 0
-  CMU is clearly the better team.  Think more goals are coming.  This is definitely not the Allegheny of old.  Which is a shame.
-  Allegheny is playing with really one forward while the 9 others end up dropping back to defend to a 4-5-1 when they are defending then transition to a 4-3-3 or a 3-4-3 when they try  to get on the attack.  CMU is not letting them attack though.
-  CMU is controlling the rhythm.
-  25 minutes left in the half.
-  CMU is doing well knocking the ball 1/2 touch, when they do  that they move down the field quickly.  Allegheny struggles to adjust.
-  But, for the most part this is all CMU.
-  16 left
-  Allegheny back four doing ok as long as the ball is in front of them.  CMU looking to get behind the outside backs, and that's where Allegheny has shown to be vulnerable.
-  Allegheny did work the ball down the left and dropped it back for a player to one time the ball from 12.  Keeper made the save and the ball was cleared out.  Definitely their best opportunity.
-  And a counter  by CMU. Ball out on the right, player takes it to the line and chips the ball back post when a CMU player heads the ball into the back of the net.  And like that CMU up by 2.
-  Carnegie Mellon 2; Allegheny 0
-  Ok.  Not the best of games and think Carnegie Mellon is the better team.  This game is in hand and not even half.  Calling this over.

Allegheny does not have the players, full stop.  They are not attracting top players and what's worse, do not seem interested in trying.  Your preseason best eleven goalkeeper has a father and uncle who both played at Allegheny in the 80's and they did not even really respond to an email from him expressing interest beyond a generic response with no follow up. 

SimpleCoach

Montclair State @ University of La Verne

-  Montclair in their All Whites
-  La Verne in All Blacks with Orange #s
-  Montclair has much to prove since they have looked pedestrian in the last couple of games I have watched them.
-  La Verne is organized defensively, but letting Montclair own the ball, and looking to break out on a counter.
-  Montclair more fluid offensively, but the La Verne back four doing a great job of keeping them in front and forcing long balls into the box.
-  Montclair looking to get their wingers the ball, but can't seem to get it there.
-  I don't  get the Montclair midfield.  Not sure I understand what Montclair#8 does and why Montclair#6 sits so deep.  He should get the ball more often.  And Montclair#19 is good but is a bit all over the place, which may explain why the midfield is a but of an enigma to me.
-  Again, Montclair seems to like ideas that will get their forwards, especially Montclair#11, active on the ball.
-  La Verne is very compact and makes a swath of 20 yards almost impossible to play in.
-  13 minutes in.
-  La Verne just looked sloppy in the back with the ball and almost gave Montclair a goal.
-  Can't say Montclair has gotten very dangerous, but they have been getting closer and more often to goal than La Verne.
-  In 35 minutes I think La Verne got to goal maybe 3 times.
-  A bit sloppy chaotic ball with 10 minutes to go or so.
-  So far an uninspiring performance by Montclair.  I like La Verne's defensive discipline but would say that when they do have possession which is not often, it's a bit lackluster as well.
-  And on a corner, Montclair just scored.  Looks like it was shot from the 18, and was redirected for the goal.  Not sure who scored.  Looks like the center back??  Montclair#4 I think.  He redirected it from 3 yards out.
-  La Verne 0; Montclair State 1
-  5 minutes left.
-  Montclair has a little lift in their game after that goal and are definitely on the hunt for a second.
-  Think I may call this one at half.
-  Montclair SHOULD win this comfortably despite playing well below their potential.
-  Halftime.  La Verne 0; Montclair State 1
-  Good night and good luck.

SimpleCoach

John Carroll University @ The College of Wooster

-  John Carroll in their All Blues with White Sleeves.
-  Wooster is in All White.
-  Wooster starting out to pit John Carroll on the ropes.  Early so JCU just needs a couple of stretches of possession.
-  Wooster pressing high making it difficult for JCU to get forward.
-  40th minute and JCU gets a play on goal for the first time.
-  JCU Keeper distribution with his feet is not terribly accurate. 
-  Wooster has a pretty good long throw that can create an opportunity in the final third.  Watch out.
-  JCU just too slow with the ball, letting Wooster get men behind the ball.
-  JCU doing well with possession in the back, but getting into the attack is a bit of a challenge.
-  And on a Wooster long throw, Wooster gets an opportunity on goal that the JCU Keeper saves.  Not super dangerous but illustrates the value to the long throw.
-  JCU with a good opportunity on a throw in that the Wooster Keeper gets a foot on an manages to put it out for a corner.
-  JCU seems to be turning the corner.  Starting to pin Wooster back as the game has worn on. 
-  Wooster losing possession in the midfield is an issue.  This is where JCU is forcing the issue.
-  25 minutes in, JCU subs the entire team.  Literally.  Except for the keeper.  Helps when you have a deep bench.
-  JCU just a lot more patient with the ball.  Not looking to get forward at a break neck speed.  Where as Wooster wins the ball and just tries to get forward as quickly as possible.
-  Wooster is sitting deeper and deeper.
-  20 minutes in and JCU is getting closer to goal and becoming more dangerous.
-  Wooster making subs.
-  Another long throw leads to a header for Wooster.  But that's the only offensive threat they have had in the last 15 minutes.
-  JCU does a good job defending as a team.  Wooster has to get through a solid block of 8 players when they win the ball.
-  JCU Keeper really isn't good with his foot distribution.
-  Both teams are struggling to really break down the other.  Really a battle of the midfield.
-  Wooster#25 needs to get the ball more often.  Really only player making something happen in the attack.  Kind of a freight train.
-  And after a series of plays deep in Woosters defensive third, JCU breaks through and scores.  Long throw of their own that gets cleared out poorly that rolls out of the box.  JCU#8 hits a low ball that is tapped in by JCU#10 for the go ahead goal.
-  John Carrol 1; Wooster 0
-  Wooster just did a poor job defending.  JCU#10 was wide open.
-  5 minutes left in the half.
-  Wooster now trying to press, but lacks precision on the attack.  One pass away from making something happen.
-  And Halftime. 
-  John Carrol 1; Wooster 0

-  John Carroll is another team I am looking at, but didn't impress me this half.  Another Top 20 team that looked pedestrian.  Wooster needs to do a better job taking care of the ball, especially up top and not feel so rushed  to get forward.

WUPHF

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 02, 2022, 10:21:34 AM
It's hardly the end of the world for the Bears, whom I still expect to be very good and very competitive in the UAA. But it says something for Carthage, what with the new coach and the loss of their best backliner (who transferred to Calvin). The Firebirds have underperformed the last few seasons, but that is nevertheless a dangerous team that still has a considerable amount of talent on their current roster.

I'll say one quick thing of note about this game.  Washington University did play their freshman keeper and it showed with the second goal.  The Bears did return their first-team all UAA keeper to action on Wednesday.

SimpleCoach

Muhlenberg @The College of New Jersey

-  TCNJ in All Whites
-  Muhlenberg in All Maroon
-  Started watching the second half, where I think the goals are scored.
-  TCNJ starts with a corner.... That ends up in a PK against Muhlenberg. 
-  Muhlenberg#21 may have swung an elbow?  The video kind of glitched.
-  TCNJ#14 buries the PK down the middle.  Think it was scored by the son of someone I played with years ago.
-  Muhlenberg 0; TCNJ 1
-  Muhlenberg#10 is talented with the ball, but passing is eh....
-  Muhlenberg trying to respond on the attack.  TCNJ just keeping it all in front of them.
-  Muhlenberg#4 is a liability at Right Back.  Needs to step to the ball, can't allow a forward to get behind him, and needs to stop committing stupid fouls.
-  TCNJ does better in possession, something Muhlenberg struggles with.  Their midfield is not designed for possession.  They are designed to be a second line of forwards.
-  Muhlenberg is wasteful with opportunities because they are not focusing on the details.
-  TCNJ# is a solid back.
-  TCNJ is closer to a second than Muhlenberg is to their first.
-  Muhlenberg is more times than not looking to send someone up top.  Completely by pass the midfield.  Unfortunate because I think Muhlenberg#8 can play, just doesn't have a supporting case to move the ball around.
-  Muhlenberg#10 is good with the ball at his feet, but his passing and crossing have the precision of an Iraqi SCUD missile.
-  TCNJ#28 is a liability at left back.  Needs to simplify how he plays.
-  And Muhlenberg just ties it up.  Sequence of possession and moving up the field is very good.  6 players play one touch and the ball is threaded behind the line where Muhlenberg#16 put it past the TCNJ Keeper.
-  I think TCNJ Keeper made a mental error in coming off his line way to late.  He may or may not have saved it, but he would have made it more difficult on the player had he come off his line much sooner.
-  Muhlenberg 1; TCNJ 1
-  TCNJ looking a little panicked.  Starting to make mistakes with passes.
-  Muhlenberg can sense the unease.
-  TNCJ needs to settle the ball, and regain their composure.  Right now, Muhlenberg is looking the better.
-  And of course, against the run of play, TCNJ gets the go ahead goal!
-  Ball gets cleared out to TCNJ#10 who from 22 yards out, chips the ball to TCNJ#5 who is left unmarked.  Takes it off his chest and hits the ball from maybe 10 yards out.  Ball goes on the ground to far post, hits the post and goes in.  Muhlenberg was call for off but Muhlenberg#2 was slow to get up with the line and kept him on
-  Muhlenberg 1; TCNJ 2
-  Just not sure Muhlenberg does the details well.  Also, lacks movement.  Some North/South running, but in possession, there is no movement from the forwards looking for the ball.
-  Muhlenberg hunting for the tying goal, but TCNJ isn't conceding much.
-  TCNJ is looking for the counter as they hold off Muhlenberg's attack.  They could get a third.  Muhlenberg Keeper just came up big on a shot that could have been a third goal for TCNJ.
-  Muhlenberg just got a foul on the edge of the box.  You could make a case that it was a PK, but the ref didn't see it that way.
-  Shot into the wall.
-  And with that, game over.