FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GroundandPound and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

lumbercat

Voodoo

Please leave the covid excuses aside.

With many players taking a semester off and roster numbers expanded this would be a reason to cut back on recruiting promises this year, if anything, as opposed to making more promises and bringing in extra recruits. However, I assure you this is not the case either. It's business as usual in terms of the final recruiting slots and numbers.

Look at the number of recruits coming into each school for the class of '25 and you will see numbers which are identical or very close to recent years.

So far:
Trinity 28 or 29
Hamilton 22
Colby 26
Wesleyan 24

And at the end of the day you'll see Bowdoin and others doing business as usual in terms of the number of players they will bring into their programs. No justification for extra 'offers' to kids due to covid.

No program in the league is doing anything much different in terms of numbers coming in. If anything, you may see less recruits coming in at some schools.

Offers of support or any inside track on admission to 100+ kids for 24-25 available roster spots which includes 14 tip guarantees is disingenuous for the last time.

We all know Bowdoin is a great school with great coaches. All NESCAC coaches worked hard during the pandemic and they were all in the same boat.

At the end of the day you're working a little too hard to spin this one.
We can just disagree as we all look forward to the fall.
Good luck to the Black and White this year.

amh63

Interesting "discussion" ....between Maine posters.  Will just add a little tidbit on some Amherst "recruits".  On the social media read about three  class of '25 members.  Two are linemen and the third is a defensive player if I recall correctly.  One was on a 4-time state championship team and had a 3.9 grade point average....that his mother so proudly noted.
"At the end of the day"...it is not the numbers, but the quality of the player.  For Amherst...for the football coaches, smart quality defensive side players will be a solid base over 4 years.  Numbers??

Jonny Utah

Quote from: lumbercat on May 13, 2021, 08:02:42 PM
Voodoo

Please leave the covid excuses aside.

With many players taking a semester off and roster numbers expanded this would be a reason to cut back on recruiting promises this year, if anything, as opposed to making more promises and bringing in extra recruits. However, I assure you this is not the case either. It's business as usual in terms of the final recruiting slots and numbers.

Look at the number of recruits coming into each school for the class of '25 and you will see numbers which are identical or very close to recent years.

So far:
Trinity 28 or 29
Hamilton 22
Colby 26
Wesleyan 24

And at the end of the day you'll see Bowdoin and others doing business as usual in terms of the number of players they will bring into their programs. No justification for extra 'offers' to kids due to covid.

No program in the league is doing anything much different in terms of numbers coming in. If anything, you may see less recruits coming in at some schools.

Offers of support or any inside track on admission to 100+ kids for 24-25 available roster spots which includes 14 tip guarantees is disingenuous for the last time.

We all know Bowdoin is a great school with great coaches. All NESCAC coaches worked hard during the pandemic and they were all in the same boat.

At the end of the day you're working a little too hard to spin this one.
We can just disagree as we all look forward to the fall.
Good luck to the Black and White this year.

Lumbercat,  maybe you need to explain more about what Bowdoin is doing (or allegedly is doing). I think you are talking about the Bowdoin coaches "liking" posts from HS players who say things like "I have been promised a roster spot at Bowdoin" or "I am committed to the admissions process" or "receive and offer" or "thanks for the opportunity to play football" etc.

It sounds like you are saying they have too many kids saying the above things because that would be too many "spots" on the roster when we all know they don't have that many "offers" or "spots".  Are you saying Bowdoin is lying to kids or breaking the rules?  Or that Bowdoin isn't being truthful in regards to how the admissions process works? 

lumbercat

Jonny

I'm saying they have told over 100 recruits they are have an "offer" of admissions support from the coaching staff. I'm sure the coaching staff is pushing hard with admissions for their top rated 20 or 30 guys but the other group of 80 or more lower rated recruits have little or no chance. These kids are nothing but insurance- if they don't get their top kids they have this group in reserve.

Look at the numbers. They have 14 tips. These guys are prequalified and told they are in. Those 14 are the only recruits with a commitable "offer". After these 14 slots they have about 10-12 spots left in their incoming recruiting class.
Like overbooking an airline flight.

Trinity takes some criticism on some of their practices but you won't see this from them or any other NESCAC program.

Jonny Utah

I'm asking how do we know what they were told.  I'm guessing the tips are the ones who are told to apply ED and the others are told to "continue the admissions process" and aren't guaranteed a spot?  Because that's how it actually works if you don't get in ED right?  Your post implied that kids were "offered" something but we really don't know if that's true or not.  I guess I'm asking what they were told if they are posting things like that in twitter.

lumbercat

When a kid or his HS coach announces on social media that he has received an offer of support from the program in the admission process this has come from his discussion with the coaching staff.

I'm not referring to the 14 TIPS who receive a commitable offer, Im talking about the other 80 or 90 kids who are essentially competing for 11 or 12 slots. Many think they have something pretty special which reflects a high level of interest from the program when in fact it's a long shot.

I have no idea what they are telling different recruits but I would bet they probably don't tell a kid "We've already secured the 14 TIPS we are allowed and you are on a list of 90 competing for the 12 slots remaining"

Jonny Utah

Quote from: lumbercat on May 15, 2021, 02:33:12 PM
When a kid or his HS coach announces on social media that he has received an offer of support from the program in the admission process this has come from his discussion with the coaching staff.

I'm not referring to the 14 TIPS who receive a commitable offer, Im talking about the other 80 or 90 kids who are essentially competing for 11 or 12 slots. Many think they have something pretty special which reflects a high level of interest from the program when in fact it's a long shot.

I have no idea what they are telling different recruits but I would bet they probably don't tell a kid "We've already secured the 14 TIPS we are allowed and you are on a list of 90 competing for the 12 slots remaining"

Well I bet they are telling them something to that effect aren't they?  They aren't using the word "tip" or "offer" but they are basically telling them they are welcome to apply and if they get in the school through regular admissions hey are on the team. I don't see anything wrong with that.  (I also follow a lot of coaches from all levels and I'll admit I noticed this from Bowdoin "recruits" when I double checked after you posted that.. I just didn't look that deep into what other Nescac recruits/coaches are saying/liking.  HS kids use jargon like that often though on twitter.

lumbercat

Jonny

Go ahead and look at the other programs. You won't find anything like this in terms of numbers of offers or whatever you care to call them.
Start with Trinity Tufts and Wesleyan.....if its not going on there you won't see it anywhere else in the league.

To finish this I guess you are classifying this as a hardworking, diligent recruiting approach by an aggressive young staff and I respect your opinion. I just don't like this recruiting approach.

Can we move on? Take a look at the Colby recruiting class- looks very strong to me under the watch of Coach Cosgrove.

SpringSt7

If I remember correctly we did this song and dance over the summer, but I will just add that we really have no clue what goes on with the recruiting activity that isn't on social media. As far as I see it, I don't see how that is any different than recruiting that goes on at any other school in any other sport. You have a finite number of spots you can fill, but you have to keep more kids around because you know you're not going to get everyone you want. That's recruiting.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: lumbercat on May 15, 2021, 03:20:09 PM
Jonny

Go ahead and look at the other programs. You won't find anything like this in terms of numbers of offers or whatever you care to call them.
Start with Trinity Tufts and Wesleyan.....if its not going on there you won't see it anywhere else in the league.

To finish this I guess you are classifying this as a hardworking, diligent recruiting approach by an aggressive young staff and I respect your opinion. I just don't like this recruiting approach.

Can we move on? Take a look at the Colby recruiting class- looks very strong to me under the watch of Coach Cosgrove.

I don't mean to question you or call you out, but I think what Bowdoin coaches are doing seems pretty standard.  I trust you on what other recruits are posting on social media as you probably follow them more than I do.  I just wondered if what you were saying was accusatory towards the Bowdoin staff or just observations. I get it now.

As for Colby who knows.  Trinity has the top culture and staff right now on the league and they seem to just reload every year.  I'm not completely sold on Cosgroves magic.  He is a career .500 coach who hasn't shown me anything that would tell me Colby is going to have a winning record this year. 

lumbercat

I don't mind being questioned Jonny but that recruiting approach is not standard in any way in the conference, that's the whole point.- At the end of the day a good discussion to get some activity on the board with an actual Football season approaching in the Fall. It will be interesting to see how many class of 21 seniors will return from program to program.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: lumbercat on May 16, 2021, 11:08:09 AM
I don't mind being questioned Jonny but that recruiting approach is not standard in any way in the conference, that's the whole point.- At the end of the day a good discussion to get some activity on the board with an actual Football season approaching in the Fall. It will be interesting to see how many class of 21 seniors will return from program to program.

I guess my point is that the high school students are tweeting it, not the coaches.  And we all know that if you aren't an ED, you can apply and the coach can tell you whether or not you will be on the team or not if you do get in.  I know for a fact this is what the Tufts coaches do.  Whether or not the recruits want to tweet it or are asked to tweet it is another story.  Either way it doesn't seem to be a big deal but you seemed to think it was?  A filtered advanced Twitter search can show exactly which Bowdoin recruits tweeted this.  It doesn't seem that out of the ordinary from first glance (assuming the tweets were not deleted which I doubt) Whatever I guess.

lumbercat

Jonny Utah

Quote from: lumbercat on May 16, 2021, 11:36:26 AM
over 100 Jonny- unprecedented

Again, your original post was that the staff was throwing around "offers", when in reality you were talking about coaches likes on players tweets?  That really isn't the same is it? 

lumbercat

Of course it is- whatever those kids posted came from interaction with the coaching staff in the recruiting process.
Are you saying 100+ recruits and their coaches fabricated offers or misunderstood what they were told?