All Americans

Started by Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan), March 01, 2006, 10:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titan Q

Of all of the #d3hoops MBB players who played 4+ games in '20-21, only two averaged 15.0+ pts, 10.0+ reb, and shot 60%+ FG:

* Kameron Clark, 6-6 Jr C (Cairn), 18.9/15.5/.602

* Matt Leritz, 6-7 Jr C (Illinois Wesleyan), 16.1/10.1/.600

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

D3hoops.com released it's All-Region teams today.  All-Americans to come.

https://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-region/2020-21/index
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Titan Q

My conversation with Ryan Scott about the 2020-21 All-American team...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omrs3WpeXq4

0:00​ Role at D3hoops.com
3:28​ D3hoops.com team
5:12​ Supporting D3hoops.com via Patreon
8:46​ Ryan's D3 story
11:20​ The message boards
13:18​ Hoopsville, Dave McHugh
15:05​ 2020-21 season
19:51​ Cancellation of the 2020-21 D3 tournament
23:50​ Cool stories from 2020-21
35:20​ 2021-22 roster questions
38:20​ 2021-22 top teams
41:17​ Constructing the D3hoops.com All-American team (the process)
48:19​ 2020-21 1st Team
1:02:03​ 2nd Team
1:07:00​ 3rd Team
1:11:35​ Misses? Peter Ragen? Nolan Ginther?
1:14:37​ Final thoughts

Titan Q

2021 "We Are D3" roster reveal episode of the Q-cast...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9yM6EmLWvM&t=4s

Info on The Tournament: https://thetournament.com.

WUPHF

Thanks Q! I think I might be ready for the Elam Ending.

Titan Q

My conversation with Wheaton All-American Nyameye Adom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIaQWfRcEWQ&t=2295s

0:00 Getting to know Nyameye
1:55 Playing through a pandemic
7:52 Making sacrifices
10:47 HS career; picking Wheaton
16:44 Wheaton College
19:55 From injured to role player to star
25:37 The 2018-19 Final Four run
33:28 2020-21 season; depth
35:50 CCIW title game against IWU
40:10 Post-season honors
41:37 Will he return in 2021-22? CCIW expectations next year
43:39 Nyameye's #whyd3
45:19 February 15, 2020
49:29 Listening to each other; uplifting others
53:04 Plans after Wheaton, final thoughts

nescac1

So, this has to be the most stacked group of pre-season all-American candidates ever, right?

In a normal year all of these guys would be locks for one of the three pre-season teams and probably one of the top two teams.: Luke Rogers, Jack Nolan, Conner Delaney, Isaiah Brown, Jake Rhode, Matthew Schner, Vinny D'Angelo, Ryan Turrell, Buzz Anthony, Nick Bowman, Josiah Johnson, Miles Mallory, Nyameya Adom, Gabriel Leifer, Matt Leritz, Ryan Algier (depending on health), and Levi Borchert.  That's 17 guys!  And I'm sure there are plenty of more strong candidates to boot ...

All five guys from last year's first team return.  But Rogers, Nolan, Delaney, Rhode, Leifer, and Leritz are all legit first-team candidates as well, I'd say.  I think I'd go with Anthony, Turrell, Nolan, Rogers and Josiah Johnson as my first team (although if doing it by position would need to swap a guard or two out, like for Miles Mallory).  Again, just absolutely loaded. 

Gregory Sager

Don't overlook Carthage's 6'5 swingman Fillip Bulatovic. In the eleven games that the Firebirds played last season he averaged 22.6 ppg and 9.4 rpg.

Also, Augustana's 6'8 junior center Daniel Carr averaged 17.7 ppg and 10.8 rpg in Augie's twelve games last season. He has a very solid inside-outside game.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

nescac1

I feel like those two guys would likely be in the running in an normal year, as those are certainly all-American level stats, but in this kind of stacked year, seems like they would be long shots -- especially when they are (very likely) behind three other guys from their own conference (although maybe not, the CCIW guys would know better if they are ahead of, say, Leritz).  A lot of REALLY good players are going to be shut out I imagine ...

Some guys from New England who I think would be in the running most years, but not this year, include Amherst's Grant Robinson (he was quite limited by injury the last season he played and I assume is now healthy), St. Joe's Jaecee Martin and Delshawn Jackson, UMass Dartmouth's Marcus Azor, and Brandeis's Tommy Eastman and Chandler Jones, but this year, it's just soooooo stacked that I don't see it happening for any of them. 

Gregory Sager

Quote from: nescac1 on October 05, 2021, 11:58:34 AM
I feel like those two guys would likely be in the running in an normal year, as those are certainly all-American level stats, but in this kind of stacked year, seems like they would be long shots -- especially when they are (very likely) behind three other guys from their own conference (although maybe not, the CCIW guys would know better if they are ahead of, say, Leritz).

They're behind Adom, Leritz, and Rhode only in that: a) those three are all going to be seniors this season, and seniors always seem to get the benefit of the doubt when awards are handed out, even when a compelling case can be made that a non-senior player or players is/are more proficient; and b) Adom, Leritz, and Rhode represent the three teams that will undoubtedly be the preseason favorites in the CCIW coaches poll (and, thus, likely the preseason d3hoops.com poll as well), and we're all aware that how a team is viewed affects individual awards as well.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Next Man Up

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 05, 2021, 11:44:20 AM
Don't overlook Carthage's 6'5 swingman Filip Bulatovic. In the eleven games that the Firebirds played last season he averaged 22.6 ppg and 9.4 rpg.

Also, Augustana's 6'8 junior center Daniel Carr averaged 17.7 ppg and 10.8 rpg in Augie's twelve games last season. He has a very solid inside-outside game.

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 05, 2021, 04:09:15 PM
I feel like those two guys would likely be in the running in an normal year, as those are certainly all-American level stats, but in this kind of stacked year, seems like they would be long shots -- especially when they are (very likely) behind three other guys from their own conference (although maybe not, the CCIW guys would know better if they are ahead of, say, Leritz).

They're behind Adom, Leritz, and Rhode only in that: a) those three are all going to be seniors this season, and seniors always seem to get the benefit of the doubt when awards are handed out, even when a compelling case can be made that a non-senior player or players is/are more proficient; and b) Adom, Leritz, and Rhode represent the three teams that will undoubtedly be the preseason favorites in the CCIW coaches poll (and, thus, likely the preseason d3hoops.com poll as well), and we're all aware that how a team is viewed affects individual awards as well.

For comparison;

FG% — *Leritz .600, Carr .468
3 PT% — *Leritz .500, Carr .389
Carr plays away from the basket more often than Leritz. 24% of Leritz' shots were from three. 38% of Carr's shots were from beyond the arc.
FT% — *Carr .855, Leritz .765
PPG — * Carr 17.7, Leritz 16.1
RPG — *Carr 10.8, Leritz 10.1
Fouls — *Carr 1 foul every 12.68 minutes of play. Leritz committed a foul every 10.46 minutes
Blocks — *Carr blocked a shot every. 29.58 minutes. Leritz blocked one every 31.38  minutes

Leritz, who plays closer to the basket more often, has a better overall shooting percentage from the field. Carr leads in the other categories analyzed. But, pretty darn close overall I'd say. Depends on what you want out of your big man in relation to the strengths of the other team members. I'd say a valid overall assessment would be, as Sager pointed out, that Carr is "behind" Leritz only because his team isn't as good overall, and he is not a senior as Leritz is.

With regard to Bulatovic, keep in mind that as a sophomore, he was a unanimous First Team CCIW All-Conference selection. Taking nothing away from any of the other great players mentioned, I guarantee that if you saw them play, you'd be as impressed by Carr and Bulatovic as anyone else in the CCIW.
So young hero, ask yourself............................Do you want to go to college, get a good education, and play (basketball)(football), or do you want to go to college, get a good education, and watch (basketball)(football)? 🤔 😏

Don't surround yourself with yourself. 🧍🏼‍♂️(Yes)

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Next Man Up on October 05, 2021, 06:21:13 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 05, 2021, 11:44:20 AM
Don't overlook Carthage's 6'5 swingman Filip Bulatovic. In the eleven games that the Firebirds played last season he averaged 22.6 ppg and 9.4 rpg.

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 05, 2021, 04:09:15 PM

For comparison;

FG% — *Leritz .600, Carr .468
3 PT% — *Leritz .500, Carr .389
Carr plays away from the basket more often than Leritz. 24% of Leritz' shots were from three. 38% of Carr's shots were from beyond the arc.
FT% — *Carr .855, Leritz .765
PPG — * Carr 17.7, Leritz 16.1
RPG — *Carr 10.8, Leritz 10.1
Fouls — *Carr 1 foul every 12.68 minutes of play. Leritz committed a foul every 10.46 minutes
Blocks — *Carr blocked a shot every. 29.58 minutes. Leritz blocked one every 31.38  minutes

Leritz, who plays closer to the basket more often, has a better overall shooting percentage from the field. Carr leads in the other categories analyzed. But, pretty darn close overall I'd say. Depends on what you want out of your big man in relation to the strengths of the other team members. I'd say a valid overall assessment would be, as Sager pointed out, that Carr is "behind" Leritz only because his team isn't as good overall, and he is not a senior as Leritz is.

With regard to Bulatovic, keep in mind that as a sophomore, he was a unanimous First Team CCIW All-Conference selection. Taking nothing away from any of the other great players mentioned, I guarantee that if you saw them play, you'd be as impressed by Carr and Bulatovic as anyone else in the CCIW.

Yep. And I should point out, for the sake of disclosure, that Next Man Up and I are partisans of two different CCIW programs that don't have a dog in this fight.

nescac1

Fair enough.  While there won't be five guys from one league on the pre-season all-American team, especially not this crazy loaded year, as to which are the best three, I defer to y'all ...

SpringSt7

I feel like those two guys would likely be in the running in an normal year, as those are certainly all-American level stats, but in this kind of stacked year, seems like they would be long shots -- especially when they are (very likely) behind three other guys from their own conference (although maybe not, the CCIW guys would know better if they are ahead of, say, Leritz).  A lot of REALLY good players are going to be shut out I imagine ...

Some guys from New England who I think would be in the running most years, but not this year, ...Brandeis's Tommy Eastman and Chandler Jones, but this year, it's just soooooo stacked that I don't see it happening for any of them.

Collin Sawyer should be ahead of Eastman and Jones in the pecking order at Brandeis and seems like a real candidate for Northeast POY and AA. Not a lot of 24 (25?) year olds out there.

WUPHF

Jones and Sawyer were both first-team all-Association, ahead of all but one Emory player.  They play different positions of course but both are very good and could return to the first-team again.