Conference changes

Started by hopefan, May 01, 2008, 11:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on June 01, 2017, 08:04:11 AM

I'm pretty sure I saw an approved 2017-2018 provisional list somewhere.  I couldn't find it again today, but I think everyone has progressed on schedule for next year.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Feb2017DIIIGOV_Provisional-Reclassifying-Exploratory-Chart_20170215.pdf

This is a bit difficult to parse - it really only says "approved" for the schools moving into year one.  Not sure if there's a final approval for advancement coming this summer?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

KnightSlappy

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on June 01, 2017, 08:12:24 AM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on June 01, 2017, 08:04:11 AM

I'm pretty sure I saw an approved 2017-2018 provisional list somewhere.  I couldn't find it again today, but I think everyone has progressed on schedule for next year.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Feb2017DIIIGOV_Provisional-Reclassifying-Exploratory-Chart_20170215.pdf

This is a bit difficult to parse - it really only says "approved" for the schools moving into year one.  Not sure if there's a final approval for advancement coming this summer?

Yeah, I was taking that to mean the exploratory schools were approved to begin the official process but that advancement for the schools already in the process had not been determined yet.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yeah... there is a little more time before these decisions on a year to year basis is made last I remembered on the process timing. That said, usually these progress forward accordingly. We only have hold ups once in awhile.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Fifth and Putnam

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 31, 2017, 05:20:37 PM
The NCAC schools certainly wouldn't think that Thomas More fits their profile and the HCAC had a decade to accept Thomas More and did not do so.

I wonder about the possibility of Thomas More going to the OAC and Wilmington returning to the HCAC, where they have a chance to be more competitive.

This.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Not sure where to put this, but also because you never know if they end up in a conference now that there is a future... glad to see UC Santa Cruz's student body approved a signficiant increase in their dues to help give their brethren a chance to keep playing sports and representing their college: http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/sports/20170531/uc-santa-cruz-athletics-saved-by-measure-68-passage
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

sac

Wilmington was only in the HCAC for 3 years though prior to moving to the OAC.

HOPEful

Quote from: Fifth and Putnam on June 01, 2017, 10:49:36 AM
The NCAC schools certainly wouldn't think that Thomas More fits their profile and the HCAC had a decade to accept Thomas More and did not do so.

I wonder about the possibility of Thomas More going to the OAC and Wilmington returning to the HCAC, where they have a chance to be more competitive.

This.

If I'm John Carroll, I wouldn't be too excited about the 8.5 hour round trip to and from Crestview Hills.
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

Onward on, John Carroll

Quote from: HOPEful on June 01, 2017, 02:54:58 PM

This.

If I'm John Carroll, I wouldn't be too excited about the 8.5 hour round trip to and from Crestview Hills.

Wilmington isn't much closer.  That said, at least you are driving through a city (Columbus) and driving to a city (Cincinnati).  By far the worst trip in the OAC is to ONU.  I always feel like I am driving forever, through no-man's land to get to . . . no man's land.

Fifth and Putnam

This.

It's a rough trip but it's not grossly different that the 7 hour round trip to Wilmington. An extra 45 minutes each way.

I am just trying to think of where Thomas More makes the most sense, especially if we're saying the HCAC is out (which many have). I don't know if they fit the academic profile of the NCAC (do they not have a Phi Beta Kappa requirement? I swear I heard that once.) I suppose they could fit in the SAA with Centre but that travel isn't exactly great either (trips to Birmingham and Atlanta for starters). I don't see a lot of easy answers here.

HOPEful

Quote from: Fifth and Putnam on June 01, 2017, 03:47:37 PM

It's a rough trip but it's not grossly different that the 7 hour round trip to Wilmington. An extra 45 minutes each way.

I am just trying to think of where Thomas More makes the most sense, especially if we're saying the HCAC is out (which many have). I don't know if they fit the academic profile of the NCAC (do they not have a Phi Beta Kappa requirement? I swear I heard that once.) I suppose they could fit in the SAA with Centre but that travel isn't exactly great either (trips to Birmingham and Atlanta for starters). I don't see a lot of easy answers here.

I'd like to see it happen just so that all of oldest conferences in America will be inappropriately named.

1. MIAA (Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Conference) with Trine, a school in Indiana, not Michigan. I propose MIIAA! Properly read "Em Double Eye Double AYE" :)
2. Big 10 with 14 teams
3. OAC (Ohio Athletic Conference) with (potentially) Thomas More, a school in Kentucky, not Ohio.
4. MVC (Missouri Valley Conference) with Loyola way too far north and east of the Missouri to even remotely be considered in its valley.
5. RMAC (Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference) with two South Dakota schools... although the Black Hills are mountainous, they are not Rocky Mountainous.

Let's go Dutchmen!

Gregory Sager

Quote from: HOPEful on June 01, 2017, 04:50:44 PM

I'd like to see it happen just so that all of oldest conferences in America will be inappropriately named.

1. MIAA (Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Conference) with Trine, a school in Indiana, not Michigan. I propose MIIAA! Properly read "Em Double Eye Double AYE" :)

The MIAA has two Indiana-based members, Trine and St. Mary's (IN).
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

HOPEful

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 01, 2017, 04:57:00 PM

The MIAA has two Indiana-based members, Trine and St. Mary's (IN).

Double the reason for an Em Double I Double A!!
Let's go Dutchmen!

sac

2. Big 10 with 14 teams
3. OAC (Ohio Athletic Conference) with (potentially) Thomas More, a school in Kentucky, not Ohio.
4. MVC (Missouri Valley Conference) with Loyola way too far north and east of the Missouri to even remotely be considered in its valley.
5. RMAC (Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference) with two South Dakota schools... although the Black Hills are mountainous, they are not Rocky Mountainous.

I believe technically the Missouri Valley is now down to one school actually within the Missouri Valley

Smitty Oom

This.

As a Concordia Cobber, I can tell you from a first hand perspective that one 8.5 hour round trip is very doable.

Ralph Turner

The SAA is the D-3 athletic affiliation for members of the Association of Colleges of the South located east of Shreveport.  I doubt they would invite TMC.  Relatively speaking, Oglethorpe was a geographically convenient "place-holder" to become the 7th member necessary for Pool A. Berry has the endowment and panache to sit at the SAA table.

http://colleges.edu