Conference changes

Started by hopefan, May 01, 2008, 11:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 16, 2018, 02:04:31 PM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on February 16, 2018, 11:15:13 AM
So Benedictine and Tex Tyler will still be technically D3 then, as they are in the exploratory phase of changing divisions.

I believe so - well, technically they'll be listed as "reclassifying," I believe, but I don't think any team is officially a member of the new division until the first provisional year.  There have been instances in the past where a school did an exploratory year and either they or the NCAA decided not to continue the process.  I assume it's easier for everyone to have the exploratory year be truly just an exploration and not an official move.

Correct - they will be Division III members next year, but reclassifying. The only limitation will they will NOT be eligible for NCAA postseasons. We have tried to determine what their status is in their respective conferences, but have not gotten any answers. The ASC is still exploring this; the NACC basically ducked the question. I plan to ask again soon (and share some insight I have already gathered).

I hope both conference allow both to compete since there is no advantage. I also hope they continue to be in the conference postseasons, but have a plan in place in case either wins the AQ (see SCAC a few years ago).

As for the rest of the process, yes... there have been occasions when a reclassifying school has not continued on with the process. This "limbo" year is just that - schools remain where they are as paperwork, visits, and whatnot are undertaken to get going into the division they are chasing. So anyone who has started the exploratory process is not a member of DII or DIII until they have been accepted into the provisional stage.

I have more info, but I need to go through some things I have received from the NCAA first. They think it is easy to understand; it really isn't. LOL
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ralph Turner

Brought forward...

Quote from: KnightSlappy on February 09, 2018, 04:56:26 PM
Conference Changes Starting in 2017-2018
Alfred State joins the newly formed ACAA
Berea joins the USAC
Brevard joins the USAC (1st year provisional in 2017-18)
Daniel Webster closes its doors
Dean joins the NECC (1st year provisional in 2017-18)
Finlandia joins the ACAA
Ithaca leaves the E8 for the LL
Maine-Presque Isle joins the ACAA
Pine Manor joins the ACAA
Regis leaves the NECC for the GNAC
Rust leaves Division III for the NAIA
Sage leaves the SKY for the E8
SUNY-Canton joins the ACAA
Valley Forge joins the ACAA
Pfeiffer joins the USAC (1st year provisional in 2017-18)

Provisional Pipeline for 2017-2018
First year full members: Berea, Bryn Athyn, Penn College
*4th year provisional members:  Alfred State, Illinois Tech, Iowa Wesleyan, McMurry (reclassifying)
*3rd year provisional members: Belhaven
2nd year provisional members: none
1st year provisional members: Brevard (reclassifying), Dean, Pfeiffer (reclassifying)
Exploratory: SUNY-Delhi, Johnson and Wales (Col.), Mississippi University for Women (no men's basketball program)
*Games against Year 3 and 4 provisional members count the same as games against full-members for regional-ranking and tournament selection purposes

Conference Changes Starting in 2018-2019
Bryn Athyn leaves the NEAC for the CSAC
Cabrini leaves the CSAC for the AEC?
Castleton leaves the NAC for the LEC
Colby-Sawyer leaves the NAC for the GNAC
Eastern Nazarene leaves the CCC for the NECC
Ferrum leaves the USAC for the ODAC
Green Mountain leaves the NAC and D3 for the NAIA
Gwynedd Mercy leaves the CSAC for the AEC?
Illinois Tech joins the NACC
Immaculata leaves the CSAC for the AEC?
Johnson and Wales (Col.) joins the SCAC (1st year provisional in 2018-19)
Maine-Presque Isle leaves the ACAA for the NAC
Marymount leaves the CAC for the AEC?
Marywood leaves the CSAC for the AEC?
Neumann leaves the CSAC for the AEC?
New England College leaves the NAC for the NECC
St. Joseph (Conn.) adds men's basketball in the GNAC
SUNY Canton leaves the ACAA for the NAC
Thomas More leaves the PAC for ?
Wesley leaves the CAC for the AEC?
Wheelock (NECC) discontinues athletics, school merges with Boston U
Wilson leaves the NEAC for the CSAC

Conference Changes Starting in 2019-2020
Arcadia leaves the MACC for the AEC?

Exploratory members for 2018-19

University of St Thomas (Houston TX). Accepted for membership by the SCAC

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

BTW... those AECs don't need "?" ... they have finally officially announced that. Did it about a month ago. The only one apparently not coming now is Arcadia. That decision went from them joining, to waiting a year, to waiting a year, to suddenly coming next year to not coming at all. It has been nuts. AEC is asking around to other schools. I am not holding my breathe right now on an 8th, though I am sure it will happen. There are rumors the conference wants 10, but I think that is a reach considering the current climate.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

MUW will be a first year provisional independent, I believe.  SUNY-Delhi is also a first year provisional, but I believe they're already in the ACAA.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

What about Johnson & Wales (CO)?

It would be great if that school made it through the four-year pipeline, as it would make that part of the country a little less island-y for D3.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 19, 2018, 04:33:57 PM

It would be great if that school made it through the four-year pipeline, as it would make that part of the country a little less island-y for D3.
J&W Colorado is already accepted in the SCAC (as Colorado College's travel partner).

I am happy for the SCAC to have settled into a nice 10-team conference, adding St Thomas of Houston and J&W Colorado.

2018-19 is the exploratory year. If successfully completed, then will full regular season SCAC schedule in 2019-20 in Provisional Year 1.  They will add M&W tennis next year and then baseball in 2020 to get to 12.
http://scacsports.com/news/st_thomas_joins_scac

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 19, 2018, 04:55:46 PM

J&W Colorado is already accepted in the SCAC (as Colorado College's travel partner).

I am happy for the SCAC to have settled into a nice 10-team conference, adding St Thomas of Houston and J&W Colorado.

Even as an exploratory team, will St Thomas of Houston be playing a SCAC conference schedule?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

J&W CO has finished it's exploratory year, so they start on the provisional year in 2018-19 which means they can compete in the SCAC, but they are not eligible for NCAA post-seasons for four years and not eligible to be counted for other teams, basically, for two years.

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 19, 2018, 05:24:56 PM

Even as an exploratory team, will St Thomas of Houston be playing a SCAC conference schedule?

No... not allowed as I understand it. Usually exploratory years have schools stay in their current situations. See how Benedictine and UT-Tyler will stay in DIII next season, for example.

They will probably announce late next January or February if the exploratory year worked out and they have been allowed by DIII to continue into the provisional process.

Ralph Turner

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yeah - we've been distracted today and haven't been able to get to that one. They alerted us this morning when they made it public.

Still more moves to be made.

gordonmann

Mount Ida is closing after this semester. The GNAC is still well above the threshold for automatic qualifying bids.

http://d3sports.com/notables/2018/04/mount-ida-closing

KnightSlappy

Provisional Pipeline for 2017-2018
First year full members: Berea, Bryn Athyn, Penn College
*4th year provisional members:  Alfred State, Illinois Tech, Iowa Wesleyan, McMurry (reclassifying)
*3rd year provisional members: Belhaven
2nd year provisional members: none
1st year provisional members: Brevard (reclassifying), Dean, Pfeiffer (reclassifying)
Exploratory: SUNY-Delhi, Johnson and Wales (Col.)
*Games against Year 3 and 4 provisional members count the same as games against full-members for regional-ranking and tournament selection purposes

Conference Changes Starting in 2018-2019
Bryn Athyn leaves the NEAC for the CSAC
Cabrini leaves the CSAC for the AEC
Castleton leaves the NAC for the LEC
Colby-Sawyer leaves the NAC for the GNAC
Eastern Nazarene leaves the CCC for the NECC
Ferrum leaves the USAC for the ODAC
Green Mountain leaves the NAC and D3 for the NAIA
Gwynedd Mercy leaves the CSAC for the AEC
Illinois Tech joins the NACC
Immaculata leaves the CSAC for the AEC
Johnson and Wales (Col.) joins the SCAC (1st year provisional in 2018-19)
Maine-Presque Isle leaves the ACAA for the NAC
Marymount leaves the CAC for the AEC
Marywood leaves the CSAC for the AEC
Mount Ida closes and leaves the GNAC and D3
Neumann leaves the CSAC for the AEC
New England College leaves the NAC for the NECC
St. Joseph (Conn.) adds men's basketball in the GNAC
SUNY Canton leaves the ACAA for the NAC
Thomas More leaves the PAC for IND?
Wesley leaves the CAC for the AEC
Wheelock (NECC) discontinues athletics, school merges with Boston U
Wilson leaves the NEAC for the CSAC

Provisional Pipeline for 2018-2019
1st year provisional members: SUNY-Delhi, Johnson and Wales (Col.)
Exploratory: Bob Jones, Pratt, University of St Thomas (TX) (SCAC), Mississippi University for Women (no men's basketball players).

Conference Changes Starting in 2019-2020
St. Elizabeth leaves the NEAC for the CSAC

KnightSlappy

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 18, 2018, 12:19:03 AM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 16, 2018, 02:04:31 PM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on February 16, 2018, 11:15:13 AM
So Benedictine and Tex Tyler will still be technically D3 then, as they are in the exploratory phase of changing divisions.

I believe so - well, technically they'll be listed as "reclassifying," I believe, but I don't think any team is officially a member of the new division until the first provisional year.  There have been instances in the past where a school did an exploratory year and either they or the NCAA decided not to continue the process.  I assume it's easier for everyone to have the exploratory year be truly just an exploration and not an official move.

Correct - they will be Division III members next year, but reclassifying. The only limitation will they will NOT be eligible for NCAA postseasons. We have tried to determine what their status is in their respective conferences, but have not gotten any answers. The ASC is still exploring this; the NACC basically ducked the question. I plan to ask again soon (and share some insight I have already gathered).

I hope both conference allow both to compete since there is no advantage. I also hope they continue to be in the conference postseasons, but have a plan in place in case either wins the AQ (see SCAC a few years ago).

As for the rest of the process, yes... there have been occasions when a reclassifying school has not continued on with the process. This "limbo" year is just that - schools remain where they are as paperwork, visits, and whatnot are undertaken to get going into the division they are chasing. So anyone who has started the exploratory process is not a member of DII or DIII until they have been accepted into the provisional stage.

I have more info, but I need to go through some things I have received from the NCAA first. They think it is easy to understand; it really isn't. LOL

To clarify, Benedictine and Texas-Tyler retain D3 status and count as a normal D3 opponent for selection criteria (even though they themselves are not eligible?)

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 17, 2018, 03:24:48 PM
Thomas More leaving independent for the dark side in 2019-20.
http://www.d3sports.com/notables/2018/04/thomas-more-leaving-ncaa
Sadly, but realistically, did we not see this coming?